Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #29
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosXC451 View Post
AWD goes against the Camaro's heritage!!!
Does that mean we should go back to carburetors?

Camaro was cutting edge in the 1969.
It should be cutting edge in 2009.

Heritage only appeals to a certain percentage of buyers.
GM has to think about selling as many cars as possible and selling to the world...like the Germans.

BMW offers the 3 series in coupe/sedan, rear/awd, manual/auto/dual clutch.
Camaro/Zeta Sedan should be challenging, and BEATING, the 3 series.

I've purchased 2 brand new C6's is the last 3 years.
But, GM's decision not to offer an AWD sedan with a LSx engine FORCED me to buy an import.
I will never get over GM not offering a CTS with AWD and a LS3.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #30
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
Does that mean we should go back to carburetors?

Camaro was cutting edge in the 1969.
It should be cutting edge in 2009.

Heritage only appeals to a certain percentage of buyers.
GM has to think about selling as many cars as possible and selling to the world...like the Germans.

BMW offers the 3 series in coupe/sedan, rear/awd, manual/auto/dual clutch.
Camaro/Zeta Sedan should be challenging, and BEATING, the 3 series.

I've purchased 2 brand new C6's is the last 3 years.
But, GM's decision not to offer an AWD sedan with a LSx engine FORCED me to buy an import.
I will never get over GM not offering a CTS with AWD and a LS3.
Sorry to here that, But I don't think AWD is worth it unless you live in areas where it snows alot. AWD for the camaro would be a mistake. AWD basicaly gives you tracion at lower speeds at the cost of increased weight a bit lower fuel economy, and the AWD system robing power at higher speeds. Just my opinon.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #31
NickPic

Drives: 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD
not a bad idea but not on the camaro, maybe on a 4 dr SS model as stated already
06 gmc sierra 1500HD: w/ 6.0, K&N CAI, air raid TBS, pacesetter ceramic coated LT headers, magnaflow X-pipe, SLP loudmouth I resonators, gibson 4' tips, blackbear custom tune, 20 inch rims, bfg 33" tires, 2-10" mtx subs, 2000 watt audiobahn amp, 10 farad tsunami cap, HID's, air horns etc......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3103872

slp tuned diablo programmer for sale. pm me for info.

06 pontiac G6 GT: bone stock except hid's
NickPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #32
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I think it would still be plenty fast given the weight. Just look at how fast the Trailblazer SS and Jeep SRT8 is. Stock they both run 13.5 and the Jeep is quicker to 60 then the Charger SRT8.
I live in the snow country and would definetly buy awd Camaro SS. I'm all about 1/4 mile anyways. Imagine an AWD Camaro SS A6 with 3600 stall and some boost... 10's for sure. Its all about boosted launches, I do them often in my 500whp turbo diesel ram and get killer 60ft's.
If you are that serious you are much better off buying that Trailblazer SS and modifying it. There are heavily modified ones that run in the 10's now. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #33
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
i like it, but mpg's would suck
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #34
KIMBERSSGIRL1
2010 RS/SS Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I have wondered why GM never made a smaller AWD car to compete with the Subaru's and MitsuPushi's.
Not everyone wants a big truck or a big bulky SUV to drive around in.

I thought the Cobalt SS would have been perfect for a Supercharged/Turbocharged AWD car.
Would have made a great WRC rally car!

Now I think the only North American AWD drive car GM has is a 3.6 Caddy CTS.
Or that I know of anyway. I actually considered one before ordering the Camaro.
Oooh a big V8 version would have been awesome!

A AWD Camaro...Hmmm... That would make a nice road racer and not just for Winter driving! Would give a new meaning to RS and be a true "Rally Sport" Camaro and maybe make a special version on it's own and just call it The HUGGER!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #35
GM-REX

Drives: '02 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBERSSGIRL1 View Post
I thought the Cobalt SS would have been perfect for a Supercharged/Turbocharged AWD car.
Would have made a great WRC rally car!
That would be very cool!
GM-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #36
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '00-Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBERSSGIRL1 View Post
A AWD Camaro...Hmmm... That would make a nice road racer and not just for Winter driving! Would give a new meaning to RS and be a true "Rally Sport" Camaro and maybe make a special version on it's own and just call it The HUGGER!
More like "The Pusher" as in understeer. AWD would probably add between 150-200 pounds to the front of the car. And while it would help you launch it would hurt you on the big end. If GM could come up with an AWD system which was strong, lightweight, smart enough to know when it's needed and when it isnt, and inexpensive, I'd be all for it. Just done see that happening.
Chocolate Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #37
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
If GM could come up with an AWD system which was strong, lightweight, smart enough to know when it's needed and when it isnt, and inexpensive, I'd be all for it. Just done see that happening.
They do. They have a full time AWD on the Hummers that have been well tested, and they have Auto 4WD on all their trucks/suv's, that stays in 2WD regularly and uses wheel speed sensors and vehicle speed sensors to determine traction loss and it will automatically engage 4WD. They just don't see the need to adapt this system to a car (right now) and neither do I.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I have the auto 4wd system on my pickup. It's great, I really like it, but when you're talking about a "rally car" or it's not comparable to a proper AWD system. It's perfect for normal driving in spotty conditions, probably not right for racing.

I don't know about the system on the Hummer, though it would surely have to be made smaller and lighter to use on a car.

I'm sure GM has a proper car-designed AWD system, though...someone a few posts back mentioned an AWD CTS.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #39
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
That's why I said they haven't adapted that particular system to a car. Except for the CTS, but my knowledge base on that one isn't as good. They could make it work, easily. All the computer inputs are there, just a little adaptive work on mechanical components. Besides, they have AWD systems for their crossovers. Makes it obvious it can be adapted for smaller applications. Like I said, they just don't see a need for this at this point in time.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #40
Oracle

Drives: Ford Focus
I can see both the pros and cons of having an AWD car, especially big V8 style. But really the Cons outweigh the Pros several fold.

Cons:
1. AWD adds weight because it needs a transfer case to the front wheels leading to a worse Power:weight ratio and worse fuel econ
2. It has higher drivetrain loss, meaning worse Fuel Econ and less power to the wheels that could be used up top
3. Understeer. just like in a FWD car you begin demanding to much of the front wheels

Pros:
1. distributes power to front wheels giving a greater net frictional force to be applied to acceleration. basically it gives you more grip where gearing is to low (1-2 gear) or shoddy road conditions.

This is really the only pro you get but its a huge one... if your using the car where it would apply. in rally cars its great because road conditions are always crap. the camaro however is a road racing car. roads are nearly perfect on race tracks. so basically you only get to use the pro for one maybe two parts... the vehicle launch and if you have a REALLY tight corner. instead of adding AWD though you could instead add larger tires. Larger tires also add greater net frictional force while only carying the second con (if you want to get technical it also has the first con but to a much lesser degree than an AWD system). Larger tires will have greater drag meaning worse fuel econ and more resistance (makes you slower up top). all in all AWD is great for a daily driver through the snow, but not so hot for a sports car... now if you want to push the camaro up to 550+ ft/lb tq then yes AWD begins to make sense where your only other option is to gear it higher to get the power in check... would make a great street car then.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #41
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
I leave awd to the foreign cars & trucks. I just cant see a Camaro with awd sorry
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #42
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
A Silverado SS is AWD and runs like a scalded cat!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote