Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
There is more technology involved in the auto, including the engine. Both V8s are essentially the same engine except for the cylinder deactivation, but in the dealer paper it states the manual is standard and the auto is an option. I've never heard of optional equipment being cheaper than the standard equipment. In the cars where the standard is more money than the auto, the standard is an option and it has more gears than the auto.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
I must be having a brain fart but what is a TM?

I hope not
I'm sorry; I should'nt have been lazy. TM is torque management. For simplicity, it comes in a lot of times between shifts, especially for autos'. In my car, anything above 1/3 throttle evokes massive throttle manipulation from the powertrain control module. It will litterally pull timing (?and fuel?) so that there is less shock to the drivetrain to prolong life. In my car, it feels like I'm stomping on the brakes, hard, between shifts when I'm on it because of my somewhat high-speed stall torque converter. When I have the TM removed, it shifts super quick and a little firmer. I can recall seeing many older LS1 F-bodies run at the track, and they would chirp the 1-2 shift, while almost an '01-'02 car wouldn't. My brother's didn't either. I'm not sure how much more of a difference there was mechanically between the transmissions in those years, but I do know that TM can take away a littler performance.

Now, do you want to remove it?... Well, GM put it there for a reason.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
I'm pretty sure you're right about the Camaro being more economical than the GTO with the A4. But I'm pretty sure the M6 versions are going to be about equal with the new standards. 16-23 right? The M6 GTO was rated at 17-25 under the old standards.

And did anyone else notice that with CAFE standards rising to 35mpg, we also have to deal with a less generous rating system? All of a sudden the EPA changes their testing procedure to make it harder to achieve.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #18
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post

And did anyone else notice that with CAFE standards rising to 35mpg, we also have to deal with a less generous rating system? All of a sudden the EPA changes their testing procedure to make it harder to achieve.
There's a ton of great info on this site regarding CAFE, I think diarmadhi has a couple real detailed explanations regarding this topic.

If you're interested.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=2581&p=40443
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Oh, ok. I've heard of torque management but never knew fully what it did. I bet it is there for a reason but whynot drive your car to its full potential once in a while! Is it easy to turn on/off or do you need HP tuners or something? I just hope the MT is not more expensive. I'm going to test drive both anyway to see which I like better and base my judgment on that and if the L99 will really get significantly better mpg which I believe the LS3 can get real close to.
If the V6 is going to get 26 I don' see it getting much higher than it and thats "only" a 3 mpg diff which I think I can get a bump of 2-4mpg with the LS3. Though it may be possible to get better V6 and L99 numbers so i'm still stuck in my decision.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
there's no such thing as a "cheaper" V8 model at launch... the L99 is the 400hp cylinder deactivation engine that only comes with the automatic transmission... the 422hp engine is the LS3 and is only available with the manual... do not be surprised if the manual transmission option is a price adder, as GM is wanting to sell the heck out of the autos.

also dont be surprised if these numbers, much like the 361hp in the G8, are way low for what the car is actually producing.
Why would GM be pushing to sell more autos? Is it because it's got all the gas saving features like AFM and VVT? Why would the manual cost more?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #21
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Does anyone think the Camaro will be able to achieve the ~28 MPG (which was DAMN impressive for a 350 HP muscle car) that the 4th Gen w/ M6 got?

I sure hope so...

What was a 2002 Camaro Z28 w/ 6 speed rated at?

I know it weighs more, but at a constant speed weight has LITTLE to do with MPG, other than more friction on bearings from the increased weight...
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote