Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Quick Time
Keep It Loud!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
How to Install QTP Electric Cutouts

2010 Camaro Oval Low Profile Electric Cutouts + 10200 install:

Install cutouts:
1. Noting which way MUST face up, bolt the oval valve to the oval pipe
2. again noting which way MUST face up, Position assembly in desired location on exhaust and roughly mark location on exhaust piping. Ensure adequate clearance for all sides of the valve and motor. Repeat for both sides. Mark oval pipes for left and right side.

3. Draw line marking cut angle, cut oval pipe and notch oval pipe to stock exhaust using a tubing notcher or grinder. to fit stock exhaust tubing.

NOTE: The following directions assume the availability of a plasma cutter, See ALTERNATE for non plasma cutter procedure
4. Tack weld oval tubes to stock exhaust

5. Loosen front exhaust clamps, remove the 4 bolts for the center cross member and remove cross member.

6. Slide off exhaust hangers and carefully guide exhaust out of the car

7. With exhaust removed, finish weld both oval pipes.
8. Using a plasma cutter, cut the stock exhaust inside the oval pipe, being carefully not to cut the oval pipe

9. Using a die grinder or drill with grinding bit, smooth out the inside cut

10. Reinstall the exhaust on the car
11. Bolt the valve and gasket to the oval pipe using red thread locker on all bolts
ALTERNATE:
4. Trace inside and outside of oval pipe in desired location of stock exhaust
5. Loosen front exhaust clamps, remove the 4 bolts for the center cross member and remove cross member.
6. Slide off exhaust hangers and carefully guide exhaust out of the car

7. Drill hole in center of cutout area, using a cutoff wheel/jigsaw, trim as close to the trim line as possible.
8. Center oval pipe over hole, tack then finish weld in place
9. Using a die grinder or drill with grinding bit, smooth out the inside cut

10. Reinstall the exhaust on the car
11. Bolt the valve and gasket to the oval pipe using red threadlocker

Removal of center console,
Tools required
P2 phillips head screwdriver
7mm socket/wrench
Note: This was performed on a 6spd auto car equipped with the 4 pack gauge cluster, procedure for manual car may vary.

1.Start at the front (closest to the radio) and working your way back pop out console side panels

2. Remove the 2 screws on each side of the rear panel and remove rear panel

3. Remove the 3 top screws that were under the rear panel

4. Unplug pigtails for cigarette lighter and usb port, unclip and push cigarette lighter and usb port out of console.

5. From the bottom, push up on the clips securing the 4 pack gauge cluster to release cluster

6. Disconnect pigtail for gauge cluster and remove. (place shifter in drive for clearance)

7. Remove 4 bolts and 1 screw securing shifter to console

8. Pop shifter trim up and hold out of way

9. remove screw at the front of the console on each side

10. Remove console (there is a clip under the cup holder that will release with light pressure).

Install cutout wiring
1. Drill a hole in the center of the transmission tunnel heat shield to secure intermediate wire too.
2. Route passenger side Intermediate wire under passenger side heat shield, and over the transmission tunnel heat shield securing it with cable tie to the hole drilled in step one.
3. Route both passenger and driver side intermediate wires under driver side heat shield toward driver side drain plug

4. Remove door sill plastic trim and lift carpet away from drain plug
5. Drill a 1/2" hole in center of drain plug

6. Run both wires through this hole and into interior

7 run Iwires under carpet and to center console near cup holder

Install controller
1. The cigarette lighter pigtail is ideal for a power source as it is only hot when the key is on.
2. Splice into the factory pigtail using wire taps, (Green w/ white tracer is +, Black is -)

3. Crimp disconnect terminals onto end of tap wires (alternating connector ends to avoid backwards hookup)

4. Feed controller harness through factory hole in center console compartment

5. Lay center console back in car, connect Iwires to controller and route controller wires towards back of console.
6. Crimp matching disconnect terminals onto controller power wires (yellow trigger wire not used) connect to power tap wires and test for operation.
Reverse console disable procedure for reassembly.

The Video
Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Great write-up

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Thank you very much for the write up!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Wow. Seems like a lot of work

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Quick Time
Keep It Loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
Wow. Seems like a lot of work
Its not that hard. The result it is way worth it
Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
How much?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Quick Time
Keep It Loud!

Dual Oval Cutouts are only $365.00
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Bought a pair of 3" rounds + electronic control. Took my 2ss/rs to Stainless Works for the custom work. Couldn't be more pleased with the sound. They were put on the stainless exhaust I already had on the car.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Time View Post
Its not that hard. The result it is way worth it
Hmmmm... I'm not sure how you say it's not that hard or not that much work. I agree, I could do it. But not everyone has a lift, ability to remove entire stock system, stainless tig welder, palsma cutter, pipe notcher........ So really, this is a professional install only project. Good looking product. Don't get me wrong - I like cut-outs. For me, IMHO, there's a better alternative. Still, this rocks

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
Dax1592

Drives: 2SS inferno orange/blk rally
Had a friend tell me that cut outs and straight pipes cause damage to valves.....Is there any truth to this? Would the difference in back pressure cause the computer to change engine settings/performance?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #11
jamnutz

Drives: 02 Formula/2010SS/many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax1592 View Post
Had a friend tell me that cut outs and straight pipes cause damage to valves.....Is there any truth to this? Would the difference in back pressure cause the computer to change engine settings/performance?
That's old folklore. I ran a Qtec on my 02 Formula for a long time, then I went with TSP true X-Piped Duals with bullets that are straight through mufflers, so no back pressure with those either. Never had any problems with burnt valves.
1991 GMC Syclone Built motor, big turbo, meth
99 Z28, Futral built stock CI LS1, TFS 215 heads, Fast 102/NW102, NX fogger, full suspension including anti roll bar, custom Rossler 4L60 with hybrid Auto/Manual VB, AC, just your every day 9 second street car.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4A141oh_jo
New Project 90 Fox Body, LS1 Swap X-275 Race car. Shootin for the 4's.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Quick Time
Keep It Loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax1592 View Post
We have over 50,000 units out in the field and not one car burnt the valves. Old wives tale. Does not have a major effect on the computer.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Giggy

Drives: 2SS/RS blk/blk
Got them installed and it sounds great! What I like about them is that YOU control where, when and how loud you want it. On long trips, keep them closed. At the car show, open 100%. Ran the wires myself and I was able to run them up the center console without taking the gauges or the shifter apart. First mod and more to come!!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Quick Time
Keep It Loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
Got them installed and it sounds great! What I like about them is that YOU control where, when and how loud you want it. On long trips, keep them closed. At the car show, open 100%. Ran the wires myself and I was able to run them up the center console without taking the gauges or the shifter apart. First mod and more to come!!
Giggy
We are happy to hear you are enjoying our cutouts. Send us some pictures of you car and of the install. Also if you have any video we can put it up in our customer sections.

Keep it Loud!

Closed Thread