Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
We offer valet service. I have met a number of clients half way across the country, picked up at thier homes and arranged transport by carrier. Where there is a will, we find a way.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Last bit of additional follow-up on the changes.

Two of the changes made, the radius-arm bushings and the caster locks, should have given the wheel a greater natural inclination to return to 0, and should have improved on-center feel. Here's my impressions:

My first impressions weren't good. I expected the car to pull the steering wheel back to center with more force, which meant that overall steering weight would, in my mind, get heavier (which I wanted). That didn't really happen. But the change worked.

Confused yet? So am I to a certain degree.

If you crank the wheel over while moving and let it go, it snaps back to center much quicker than before, especially in that tough zone a few degrees off center. The tires want to go back to straight, that's obvious. But I don't feel that as much while holding the wheel, as I can see it while letting go of it. Maybe this is a byproduct of electric steering, or the specific calibration of electric steering in the Camaro, but the "feel" through the hands didn't improve very much, which is strange.

I would like to point out that I'm still running my winter rubber on the car. I handed my OEM wheels and new G2s to a powder-coater over a month ago and still haven't gotten them back. This is important because the BFG Comp-2 A/S tires that my 1LE is current wearing decimated on-center feel. You can read my initial review here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427286 . I'm leaving tomorrow night for a week with the family in South Carolina. I collect my OEM wheels when I get back and will have my first impressions of the car with G2s. Let's see how the on-center feel is with real tires once again.

However, there turned out to be an ancillary benefit that I knew to expect, but wasn't necessarily pining for, and that was the reduction of bump-steer.

Holy shit does the front feel solid now. It feels like an entirely different front end over the north-east's notoriously vexing expansion joints, cracks, and Sarajevo-like road craters. Cranked over into a high-speed corner, a mid-corner bump would shake the wheel pretty heavily before - and that's all but completely gone now. Even in a straight line, you can feel the difference in how the front-end reacts to things. The car feels more solid now; the front-end more planted. It feels like we replaced every bushing in the front-end with a poly bushing, but without the harshness or noise. It really is a night/day difference.

As always, let me know if there are any questions.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #17
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
So I'm assuming there were no differences in the changes you can feel/observe between regular mode and competitive mode? I know competitive mode provides a more "weighted" feel with the factory set up. So I'm assuming the same change/difference in the weighted feel between regular and competitive mode isn't more magnified or anything by these JPSS changes?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
So I'm assuming there were no differences in the changes you can feel/observe between regular mode and competitive mode? I know competitive mode provides a more "weighted" feel with the factory set up. So I'm assuming the same change/difference in the weighted feel between regular and competitive mode isn't more magnified or anything by these JPSS changes?
Correct. Like I said, I'll see what things feel like when the G2s go back on.

Billy
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #19
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Curious how much your parts and labor were out the door?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #20
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Curious how much your parts and labor were out the door?
Too much or not enough

It depends which side of the desk you are on
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 AM   #21
1lehunter

Drives: 2013 1le 2ss rs black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Too much or not enough

It depends which side of the desk you are on
I love that answer!
If you have to ask you can't aford it. Super troopers