Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
SD1LE

Drives: 2014 RRM 1SS 1LE
Squealing noise while driving, anyone?

I'm having an issue with a high pitched squeal. It sounds like brake squeal but not as loud and happens with no brakes applied. Only happens after some driving and gets worse with slight right hand turns. Dealer couldn't replicate, any ideas?
SD1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Any particular speed that this happens at, or is it constant?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Exact thing happened to me. The dealer couldn't replicate it with me either but I had them lift the car and spin the wheels freely and I think that replicated it. It turned out to be my brakes. I didn't think it was because I had just gotten new tires and they told me my brakes had about 35% left. Apparently they were wrong. I'd see if that's your issue though
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
SD1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
Any particular speed that this happens at, or is it constant?
I notice it at about 3500 rpm after letting off the throttle, no brakes applied. And, while turning slightly to the right.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
SD1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
Exact thing happened to me. The dealer couldn't replicate it with me either but I had them lift the car and spin the wheels freely and I think that replicated it. It turned out to be my brakes. I didn't think it was because I had just gotten new tires and they told me my brakes had about 35% left. Apparently they were wrong. I'd see if that's your issue though
They checked the brakes and said that wasn't it. Plus, it doesn't happen with the brakes applied. I'll double check though. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:40 AM   #6
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
It didn't happen with my brakes applied either. One other forum member had a similar issue but the cause of his was some broken suspension part I believe.
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Squealing of the brakes often happens when the brakes are not applied. Brake pad material is lightly touching the surface of the rotor as you drive, and that causes the slight squeal in question. When you apply the brakes, they clamp down on the rotors and the noise goes away.

Let's put this another way: If you can replicate the problem at will, but are unable to do it when brakes are applied, then the squeal is DEFINITELY related to the brakes. Have the rotors turned or pull the pads and apply some anti-squeal to the back of the pads (between the pads and pistons).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/p...ojdhoCNQTw_wcB
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
SD1LE

Thanks for the input, will do.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I would vote brakes also, as it makes the most sense given your description of the issue. That said, I found (heard) a slightly annoying high pitched squeal that I ultimately discovered was just air flowing around the driver's side mirror.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote