Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #43
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
Think I'll start calling the car Frankie short for Frankenstein. There are parts of of at lease 9 different cars currently making my car.

Paint shop just gave me a gut shot. They said they would paint the car for $900-$1000, scuff & shoot. Took the car to them and they started moaning and complaining saying the car need lots of body work, saying every panel need to be worked. I kept telling them it was a track car and small dings didn't matter plus I had already removed all the trim and windows. They said each panel would require a days work! So I took the car back home and started to do the work myself. Scuffing took me all of 6 hours, not days. Figure I'll purchase one of those inflatable spray booths and shoot it my self. Pushes back my completion date but I'll save some money.
Sounds like the paint shop just really didn't want the job or they thought once you got the car there they could start talking you into spending more money than you needed to. Probably a good call to go and get the car back. Good luck with the DIY painting! I'm sure it will be a great learning experience and it may provide you with the tools to paint new parts in the future for replacements if needed. Which I'm sure will be nice to be able to do yourself when it's just a track car.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #44
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Sounds like the paint shop just really didn't want the job or they thought once you got the car there they could start talking you into spending more money than you needed to. Probably a good call to go and get the car back. Good luck with the DIY painting! I'm sure it will be a great learning experience and it may provide you with the tools to paint new parts in the future for replacements if needed. Which I'm sure will be nice to be able to do yourself when it's just a track car.
I agree with your thoughts on the paint shop.

As far as doing future paint work that's definite. One of the things supporting buying the inflatable paint booth is I have 2 more project cars that will need to be painted.

Past experience with track cars also supports having the booth. I tore up my street car on the track a couple of years ago.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #45
DC113

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro SS
Good luck with the painting! I'm excited to see how it turns out.
DC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #46
SS Performance

So I purchased a portable inflatable paint booth on Amazon.
Exterior dimensions are 39'X20'. I could have saved a few bucks and purchased a smaller one but I like to have lots of room to move around in. Inflated very quickly. On one end is the garage door, I could probably get my son's sprinter in it. On the other is a prep room, its small but workable.

As you can see in the pictures its BIG.

Paint booth;

Inside pre-paint;

Inside primed;

Inside post paint;

So my conclusion is for anyone thinking about painting a car themselves it's worth it.

Thanks
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #47
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Very cool setup!
Did you go with Silver Ice again? The color looks different, maybe because of the lighting.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #48
SS Performance

Yes I went with SIM. It was pretty dark when I took that picture.

I thought of several different colors. Black is too hard to maintain. I like the tri-color red but again hard too maintain. Plus both those colors get real hot in the summer and the race car doesn't have A/C. Not to fond of yellow or white. So SIM it is and I really like that color.

Once I get the Z28 parts painted and mounted I'll post up some more pics.

Now that it's painted I can't wait to start putting the mechanicals back together.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS