Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
chevy dealership is screwing me over . what do i do?

well i posted here before when i had this problem before.
randomly my car would say engine power reduced and my car wouldnt rev past 2000, pretty much limp mode. first time around they sed my HIDs spiked some module which made no sense because it happened before i even put HIDs in . It has happened again and are ttrying to blame it on my mrt exhaust and HIDS. At one point i felt like hopping over the counter and bodyslamming this snobby old man. if it has happened before i put any mods in how can they blame it on newly acquired mods? what should i do guys?
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Go to a different dealer.
Some dealers can be reall as***s and will refuse any work if they see a single mod, no matter what type of mod and whether that mad has anything to do with the problem or not.

Other dealers are much more understanding and as long as a mod has nothing to do with the problem, they'll take care of you.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
they dont have a clue whats wrong with it and they dont want to work on it. there are some gm reps that come in here some. maybe one of them will have a suggestion.
i have had terrible luck with gm service. i wont dog them like i usually do because i want your thread to get you some answers instead of a slam session.
maybe go to another dealer or call and see what another dealer says. i think you can call gm directly and get them involved too. i wish i had more info for you. i hate to hear that they wont help.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Can you put the OE lights back in, just to remove that excuse.

Anything is possible, so it's best to give them as few excuses as possible.

But, their theory is highly unlikely. The headlight circuit has protection, the ecm circuit has protection, the ECM solid state board itself has protection....

Ask to see, where in the service manual diagnostics their testing showed the headlights are causing this problem. Page, step number, and test result. If they can't explain the specific diagnostics, those ass clowns are just guessing.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
wow thanks for the great tips guys never thought of doing any of those. lol i can always count of you fellas lol. idk i think they are trying to bullshit just cause im a 16 year old kid. the thing is i think my car came with a defect or soemthing. but i put so much mods in it its kinda sentimental to me so its hard to ask for another car cause my car only has 3000 miles in it,.
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Sounds like GM missed closing some of the bad dealers.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
You might get an occasional "reduced engine power" if you are beating on it. The PCM is limiting power for drivetrain longevity.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
You might get an occasional "reduced engine power" if you are beating on it. The PCM is limiting power for drivetrain longevity.
This is total

I used to beat (read: drove hard) mine pretty good and never saw that. Have you seen how some of these cars are driven? You usually have pretty intelligent posts. How'd this slip through the cracks?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
upflying

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
This is total

I used to beat (read: drove hard) mine pretty good and never saw that. Have you seen how some of these cars are driven? You usually have pretty intelligent posts. How'd this slip through the cracks?
Well I dunno, I thought i heard GM PCM's were programmed to prevent drivetrain damage..especially to the automatic transmission. I apologize if I'm wrong, my bad.
Doesn't activation of traction control feel like reduced engine power?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Doesn't activation of traction control feel like reduced engine power?
It definitely will "feel" like reduced power when the traction control activates, but these cars will actually display reduced engine power on the DIC. Example of a late model GM truck below....

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Mechman108

Drives: '12 Camaro LS M6, '16 Lexus IS200T
Speak directly to the service manager. Those service reps likes to lie a lot. If the service manager is nice enough; he will put you in a rental for few days and really investigate to see what is wrong with your car.
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscamaro View Post
think they are trying to bullshit just cause im a 16 year old kid. .
more like 16yr old kid who's working on his car. just don't take any BS from them. they have to prove that anything you did to the car is the cause. you don't have to prove it didn't cause it.

sounds to me like they're just being pricks. a good service department will at least look at it and find out whats wrong. they may try to make you pay for it claiming your mods caused the problem. but they'll at least look at it.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
upflying

similar thread here
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207011
Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The Reduced Engine Power fault mode only occurs when the ECM sees a major problem. For some reason it cannot control the fuel/spark/throttle properly based on MAF/O2s/Throttle Pos..... Or the engine RPM is way out of whack with what it should be. Not caused by driving hard. Most often accompanied by other fault codes.

I had a car go into limp mode once because I accidently hit the nitrous at idle. The ECM didn't like seeing 6000 RPM acceleration with the throttle closed. It's those kind of things that when way out of whack, trigger limp modes. Often it's a sensor intermittently losing contact, throttle sensor, MAF...
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote