Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 05-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
HubStep

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Calling all Camaro's in the South E, time to join up!!!

Hey guys, so many of you may be familiar with this already but I've stumbled onto something spectacular! This is for all you C5'ers who have iPhone or Android (if not, you should buy one).

Waze. It's a GPS app. It's free. Best of all, it's pretty dang cool. Did I mention it's free? Essentially what it does is make "driving" social. Sounds kind of lame right? I thought so too. Until this weekend. I was driving from ATL to Nashville and decided to try it out.

What blew me away was HOW MANY people are now using this. On the road you see icons of other wazers and where there are, which actually lets you do some pretty neat things (more on that later).

First, as a GPS it's great. Voice commands work via bluetooth, and it'll direct you as well as a navigon/Garmin. For anyone with bluetooth speakerphone on it's pretty awesome.

Second, the social aspect of it is a lifesaver. See, whenever you see a car parked on the side of the roadm speed trap, cop, road debris, roadkill, or.... anything bad you can mark it. Other wazers see it and get warned. On my nashville drive I was actually in a group of 4-5 wazers who were anywhere from 5-50 miles ahead of me on I-75/I-24. Waze will work through the Camaro's bluetooth and warn you "watch out, police spotted ahead". Or "Watch out, car parked on shoulder". And you have the option to check "yes, still there" or "no, it's gone".

Again, I thought it wouldn't work because nobody would use it, but it really blew me away.

Also, from a traffic perspective it's awesome. If you're stuck in a jam and you see a fellow wazer up ahead you can tap their icon and chat "hey hows it look up there?" (it's all anonymous). You can also leave comments in certain areas. I had it divert me once because fellow wazers marked a severe accident up ahead that had just happened.

"Severe accident ahead, diverting. Exit right in 1.5 miles".

So I zoom up ahead and see comments "yuk this is bad", "we're at a standstill" "There's like 4 firetrucks here". It's brilliant.

So I've created a group for all South East Camaro 5'ers. Once you set it up/if you already have go to "my waze" and search for groups. We might as well help each other out!

Here's what it looks like, the icons ahead are other wazers:
HubStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Is it all voice command for posting warnings or do you have manually key it in? If you have to key it in isn't that as bad as texting while driving?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
HubStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Is it all voice command for posting warnings or do you have manually key it in? If you have to key it in isn't that as bad as texting while driving?
Either. Two ways:

Manual: tap the bottom icon, tap the cop out of the grid, tap "report". and it drops a pin. I typically do it with the phone still in the car mount. Additionally you have options before the "report" button that say my lane/other visible/not visible

Voice: tap three fingers on screen, voice comes over speakerphone "issue command now", "report car stopped on shoulder", "reporting: car stopped on shoulder"
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
I use waze all the time, it awesome! It's been around for awhile and currently has a lot of users. I don't use it for actual gps navigation though cuz it kind of sucks at that. But it's great as a early warning system for COPS, hazards and traffic. Especially COPS. Whenever I see one I mark it in the map. And feel good knowing I just gave someone the heads up. It's easy to mark things too, u don't have to manually key in any words or anyhing like that. Two button presses is all it takes. Takes me longer to fiddle with the stock HU.
I don't use the voice that much and I use it primarily on my iPad. But the iPhone version has a cool feature that will activate voice just by waving your hand in front of the phone, using the proximity sensor (which the iPad doesn't have).
It also has a good database of speed cams and red light cams and will warn you a block or so away that youre approaching one. You can also add new ones but havnt had to yet.

They also have social groups u can join for people who regularly take the same routes as you.

Like the op said, it's an awesome app and has saved me from tickets a few times.
In my opinion, with enough users in your area it's better than a radar cuz it wll warn you about cops miles before you see them, you can even scan the map before you leave and check for cops or traffic or whatever.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
HubStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
I use waze all the time, it awesome! It's been around for awhile and currently has a lot of users. I don't use it for actual gps navigation though cuz it kind of sucks at that. But it's great as a early warning system for COPS, hazards and traffic. Especially COPS. Whenever I see one I mark it in the map. And feel good knowing I just gave someone the heads up. It's easy to mark things too, u don't have to manually key in any words or anyhing like that. Two button presses is all it takes. Takes me longer to fiddle with the stock HU.
I don't use the voice that much and I use it primarily on my iPad. But the iPhone version has a cool feature that will activate voice just by waving your hand in front of the phone, using the proximity sensor (which the iPad doesn't have).
It also has a good database of speed cams and red light cams and will warn you a block or so away that youre approaching one. You can also add new ones but havnt had to yet.

They also have social groups u can join for people who regularly take the same routes as you.

Like the op said, it's an awesome app and has saved me from tickets a few times.
In my opinion, with enough users in your area it's better than a radar cuz it wll warn you about cops miles before you see them, you can even scan the map before you leave and check for cops or traffic or whatever.
Huh, I didn't know about the proximity sensor feature. That's neat. But yeah man if you're in the SE search in groups

"Camaro 5 South East"
Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Yea the proximity feature is pretty cool and prob something more phones shood use when your in the car. Just wish the iPad had that sensor also, but they really only put it on the phone to turn the screen off when you place the phone against your ear.

Unfortunately, I'd prob never be anywhere in the SE, not my kinda town.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Ky.camaro

Drives: 2010 synergy green camaro
going to louisiana thursday 6/7 ill try it
Ky.camaro is offline   Reply With Quote