Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
TRSS2

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Black RS
Got Pulled over...

I bought some blackout vinyls for my camaro and thought they were legal... evidentally not. I quote "nothing but OEM red is legal" then the officer stated its fine for car shows and what not... just aggrivated, then i politely offered to take them off right then and there, and the officer was pleased with that, he did not notice the exact same vinyls on my fron and rear side markers and turn signals, I intend to take those off now, so no more trouble with arise. I was going for the murdered out look... guess that dream went up in smoke. The vinyls i got were totally black (not tinted, pitch black) but there are a plethora of small holes, therefore allowing the full intensity of the original lights to be shown through... i was under the impression that as long as you can see the tail lights from 50 or 100 feet away you were fine(i read it somewhere cant recall)... I would thoroughly appreciate some insight or exact quote from florida state law on such things, I am not the type to take it to court to make it a point, besides he only gave me a warning. In which I am appreciative of.
AAC interior red dome lights, footwell lights, SMD wheel well lights, led pods, afterburners(SMD), RED/WHITE halo headlights and fog lights, Nite Rider scanner times 2, illuminated bowtie, T-REX black phantom billet grill upper and lower, had vinyl blackouts-they turned out to be illegal . Soon to have LTLAudio door projectors.
TRSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
I wondered about this too andit might be more due to the fact that black outs reduce the ability of the lenses to act as reflectors (like the type you find on bicycles). So at night the light from other cars wouldn't reflect back to them when your car is parked possibly causing a hazard. Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
they were black, not red - that was the problem. The light may show through, but not without the lights being on - lights or brakes. Hence, illegal...oh well. Mine are just tinted, not blacked out. Almost 5K miles and no issues with any of the tinting...and I've had officers come up to the car and chat...and pull next to me and drive along side for a while - day & night. The one at night he gestured for me to slow down ;( No ticket, no stopping...I was glad!

Just tint them!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
TRSS2

thanks for the input/suggestions. I do have a spare set of taillamps, just in case i have to go back to oem considering i put the AACStyle afterburners in. so i may think about tinting them. thanks again.
AAC interior red dome lights, footwell lights, SMD wheel well lights, led pods, afterburners(SMD), RED/WHITE halo headlights and fog lights, Nite Rider scanner times 2, illuminated bowtie, T-REX black phantom billet grill upper and lower, had vinyl blackouts-they turned out to be illegal . Soon to have LTLAudio door projectors.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Ex-stang

Drives: "Sergeant" a 1LT/SIM/RS/CONN/BA/M6
would you have been on here ranting and raving and going all ape-shit if he would have given you the fine ? Just wondering, honest question because people are always aww he was such a cool cop he gave me a break and then when they get a ticket..it all goes to hell and cops are all pigs yadda yadda ...

honest reply.i dont know you, soo im not judging ,just wanting people to realize
they have a job to do.Sometimes it involves being informative (giving a break,warning) and sometimes laying the hammer down.

And yes i am an officer, 15 years on the job.And i have given my fair share of warnings being a car enthusiast myself.BUT ! i have nailed people who deserved it, guess its all an attitude thing.politeness,respect, being cordial will go a long way folks.

Drive safe boys and gals!
Ex-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
that sucks.

where i live most the cops are pretty cool but its a small town nothing to do, nothing goes on

some officers are not always pleasant, i have 15 or so FOP cards and a badge, helps a lot...

but i have gotten ticket for tints, no plates, black outs.. you name it.
still i have never taken any of my stuff off..

if you have it just know you may get tickets. some officers have nothing better to do..
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Ringo
Politically incorrect

Drives: 2SS/RS
It all comes down to how petty the cop is. Pulling somebody over for this is stupid. I guess Winchels was closed? It's the exact same thing when one of the petty cops pulls you over for no front plate, and others just let it slide.

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
thedonkeyslayer

Drives: XK 4x4 Ordered '11 2SS/RS SW LS3
It's a state thing - this is not illegal in AZ or PA.

In PA they wouldn't pass you for inspection, and mine passed.

They did tell me that a cover over the light is illegal, but mine are painted. Seems like if vinyl was on well they wouldn't be able to tell, so it must be your state.
thedonkeyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Wow, I can't believe you got pulled over for that. I saw your car and I thought they looked just fine. But, I don't know what you can get away w/ of not. My tint is not legal but, I pass cops all the time and they haven't pulled my over yet.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
TRSS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-stang View Post
would you have been on here ranting and raving and going all ape-shit if he would have given you the fine ? Just wondering, honest question because people are always aww he was such a cool cop he gave me a break and then when they get a ticket..it all goes to hell and cops are all pigs yadda yadda ...

honest reply.i dont know you, soo im not judging ,just wanting people to realize
they have a job to do.Sometimes it involves being informative (giving a break,warning) and sometimes laying the hammer down.

And yes i am an officer, 15 years on the job.And i have given my fair share of warnings being a car enthusiast myself.BUT ! i have nailed people who deserved it, guess its all an attitude thing.politeness,respect, being cordial will go a long way folks.

The primary reason i posted was to get feedback or actual legal documentation, I like to know why things are what they are, how they work, if something is logical, reasoning behind something, etc... I am attempting to broaden my knowledge on this subject so I dont get tickets for things I could have easily learned/avoided. Im not a lawyer, im not an officer, hence my inquiry. If he would have given me a ticket I would have been aggrivated with my ignorance, not the officer, because like you said "they have a job to do" I totally agree with that.

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe you got pulled over for that. I saw your car and I thought they looked just fine. But, I don't know what you can get away w/ of not. My tint is not legal but, I pass cops all the time and they haven't pulled my over yet.
I thought it looked fine, but oh well, lesson learned. I dont make the rules I just need to better understand them. such is life.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
xavier02832

Drives: 13 ZL1-SOLD, 13 GT500-Sold
Hey guys, Im a cop here in Florida and wanted to clear up any confusion Floridians may have with this issue. The Florida State statue reads as follows

316.221 Taillamps.--
(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp's visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp.

A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

FYI this also aplies with the headligths. statue 316.220
xavier02832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
TRSS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier02832 View Post
Hey guys, Im a cop here in Florida and wanted to clear up any confusion Floridians may have with this issue. The Florida State statue reads as follows

316.221 Taillamps.--
(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp's visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp.

A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

FYI this also aplies with the headligths. statue 316.220
That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, your input/information is exceptionally appreciated, thanks for your time and info.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-stang View Post

Not quite sure where your getting that he's ranting and raving /going ape shit.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Ex-stang

Drives: "Sergeant" a 1LT/SIM/RS/CONN/BA/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Not quite sure where your getting that he's ranting and raving /going ape shit.
read the remark, i said "would you have been here " hypothetically didnt accuse anyone of anything.
Ex-stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackout, legal, tail light, vinyl