Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #1
MonteSS

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
Cam work, headers and exhaust concern

Hey gentlemen,

I currently drive a 2010 1SS Camaro and currently have a few bolt-ons on it. I'm currently running the CAI Cold air intake and flowmaster cat-back exhaust.

This car is my DD and I do a fair bit of highway driving. The car sounds great around town and even on the highway, but there is a little bit of drone (I can live with it, as is).

In the next two months or so I'll be adding Kooks LT headers and the SS2 cam to my baby. I'm looking for a little more tame exhaust so I don't attract too much attention, and I can still have a conversation while doing 75 or so down the highway.

Ryan at GPI suggested Corsa as it's "about as drone free as it gets", but I've searched around and it's difficult to tell how aggressive this system is compared to my current one.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks!
MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
You may have checked youtube, but does the below not help a bit(I know its tough to gauge no in person)?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
I have a L99 corsa cat back on my LS3 with a cam and it sounds incredible... It is VERY quiet at highway speeds and is awesome at WOT... The L99 system has two extra resonators, which reduced the rasp as compared the LS3 system. I had a Magnaflow street axleback prior to the corsa and it was quiet as well, but it was too deep in tone. At WOT it didn't give me that holy $hit sound that the corsa has and the corsa might be a touch quieter at cruse...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
That_Guy

Drives: n/a
Just go back to stock... lol
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Solo Mach XL w/ j pipes. Zero drone headers & catless, rocks out WOT.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
FlowmasterMufflers

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
Hey gentlemen,

I currently drive a 2010 1SS Camaro and currently have a few bolt-ons on it. I'm currently running the CAI Cold air intake and flowmaster cat-back exhaust.

This car is my DD and I do a fair bit of highway driving. The car sounds great around town and even on the highway, but there is a little bit of drone (I can live with it, as is).

In the next two months or so I'll be adding Kooks LT headers and the SS2 cam to my baby. I'm looking for a little more tame exhaust so I don't attract too much attention, and I can still have a conversation while doing 75 or so down the highway.

Ryan at GPI suggested Corsa as it's "about as drone free as it gets", but I've searched around and it's difficult to tell how aggressive this system is compared to my current one.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks!
Which of our cat-back systems are you running?
FlowmasterMufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
Cam, long tubes, free flow cats and Corsa is sweet under 'normal' driving conditions, no drone and almost quiet in the cabin on the highway, but the higher the rpm's the louder it screams. And I mean LOUD at wot. The only thing keeping me from trying the GM performance mufflers or something like that to tame it down is I'm afraid I'll end up with drone. I'd rather have the scream at wot.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
I know it sounds dumb but adding oem NPP exhaust is one of the best options for your application. I am getting my car back from the shop Wednesday and will upload a video of the exhaust. Had Kooks LT Headers, Cat Pipes, Cam, CAI and some other goodies.

Check out my build thread(click on my sig picture) and the original stock exhaust is in a video
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
If you have the american thunder flowmaster it will be very loud with LTs. Mine didn't drone hardly at all before long tubes but it can be quite droney now with long tubes.

It varies on the drone depending on what RPM i'm sitting at, I think if I had 3.91s it would be much quieter. It can get a bit obnoxious though at times.

You will certainly get some attention with the american thunder and longtubes lol.

I actually have a stock catback here i've been tempted to try swapping back on, but I can't give up the flowmaster sound!
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I have a SOLO axleback, with the stock center resonator, SP 1 7/8" headers, HF cats, 4" quad tips. It is perfect! Sounds sooo mean, no rasp, and no drone.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
If you have the american thunder flowmaster it will be very loud with LTs. Mine didn't drone hardly at all before long tubes but it can be quite droney now with long tubes.

It varies on the drone depending on what RPM i'm sitting at, I think if I had 3.91s it would be much quieter. It can get a bit obnoxious though at times.

You will certainly get some attention with the american thunder and longtubes lol.

I actually have a stock catback here i've been tempted to try swapping back on, but I can't give up the flowmaster sound!
I'm running Flowmaster Outlaw Catback with Kooks long tubes and no cats.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, headers