Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
lcarney1977

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS
6 speed zl1 0-60??

whats the 0-60 in the 6 speed 2017 zl1 cant find anything? i know the auto is 3.5..and whats the weight differnce in the 6th gen SS to the new ZL1? the 6th gen ss lighter?
lcarney1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
It's not published. People are guessing and since we don't know 100% of the gearing ratios, they're wild shots. But probably close guesses with 3.7-3.8

All times for ZL1 are auto times.

Last edited by HumanWiki; 08-23-2016 at 02:47 PM.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Not sure the exact weight difference but a 6th gen SS will weigh less than the 6th gen ZL1, I'm thinking a few hundred pounds? As for 0-60 I'm not sure but Al O said the 6spd ZL1 will do 0-60 in 1st gear. It might be a little slower perhaps than the auto but if it can be done in first gear, probably not much slower.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Moved to ZL1 discussions sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarney1977 View Post
whats the 0-60 in the 6 speed 2017 zl1 cant find anything? i know the auto is 3.5..and whats the weight differnce in the 6th gen SS to the new ZL1? the 6th gen ss lighter?
No specs yet on the ZL1 manual. Its probably a little slower to 60 than the 10 speed. Like HumanWiki, I expect it to be 3.7 or 3.8 seconds. That would be a similar drop-off to what the Z06 has auto vs manual, and a similar improvement to what the automatic ZL1 has over the SS auto.

It should be roughly 200 lbs heavier than the 6th gen SS, based on the fact that they've said the ZL1 will be 220 or so pounds lighter than the 5th gen ZL1. That puts it right around 3900 lbs, which is 200 more than the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarney1977 View Post
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...o-zl1-gearing/
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
We know that the 6th gen ZL1 weights 230 pounds LIGHTER than the 5th Gen ZL1.

5th gen ZL1 weight = 4,120 to 4,374 lbs
So... 6th gen ZL1 weight = 3,890 to 4,144 lbs.

As for the 0-62, i bet it's 3.7-3.8.

Keep the custom launch control in mind as well also that how the SS manual says 4.x and I keep getting 3.8-3.9 with it according to GPS and car. So who knows.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Not published but I'm betting 3.6 easily.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Well let us remember these are GM quoted times (the 3.5), which as of late for the Camaro have been pretty conservative.

They quote the manual SS as 4.3. Yet it has hit 4.0 in multiple tests. They are quoting a tenth quicker for the SS 1LE, and there are rumors that with its ELSD and stickier, wider, non run flats, it will hit 3.9 when tested under the right conditions.

So, with that being said..for the ZL1, I will say 3.4 for the auto, and 3.6 for the manual.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
if you don't have to shift....why would it not be faster? Yes, I know is must have a very tall gear but if I don't have to shift from dumping the clutch to 60 and I have variable launch control...well....
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
if you don't have to shift....why would it not be faster? Yes, I know is must have a very tall gear but if I don't have to shift from dumping the clutch to 60 and I have variable launch control...well....
Because, more times than not, the way an auto launches and the way a stick launches, the auto is going to win on a dig launch like this.

Its drive line is pre-loaded.

You only have to let off the brake and go. No slipping the cluth / throttle feathering. (even computer controlled launches in a single clutch don't really keep up with the TC in the Autos for this -- yet. They're much better, but you're still dealing with the clutch/throttle ratio and that's still quite manual on the human and prone to judgement and application error)

The effective gearing on 1-2 in the A10 may still be better than 1 in M6 and the auto trans will shift quickly enough to keep up over a tall gear. (if you've not listened to the A10 upshift, you should. it's super snappy). While the 1st gear on a ZL1 M6 may allow it to get to 60MPH in first, it will need a higher RPM redline to do so or a taller gear. If the redline/cutoff RPM is higher, then fine, it can pull easier from a dig and just rev higher. If you've got a taller 1st gear, then it will take more applied TQ from the motor per unit time to get to 60MPH faster. This is where your problem will come up, as it will be a skill requiring feat to get the 100% right amount of progressive TQ from the LT4, through the RPM range on that surface, on that day, in those temps with this tire to make sure you're getting to 60MPH as quickly as possible. The A10, with its insane 4.70:1 1st gear doesn't have to apply as much TQ, but will have to spin faster quicker (think the difference to your legs on a bike in 1st gear or 3rd gear and how it feels. 1st gear takes less effort (TQ) but doesn't move you far per pedal turn. 3rd gear takes more effort (TQ) but will move your farther per rotation) -- your engine experiences this effect as well. All of of this has to be factored in, with many other things, than just how many times you shift.

All things being equal. It's tough to beat the auto these days in a dig launch when both cars are pretty much the same otherwise.

**also, be careful when comparing some 0-60 if you see the "with XX rollout" as that's not technically a 0 movement dig and is not unlike shallow staging on a 1/4 to give you some roll time to not red light on the second beam and it can affect times, esp on the shorter things like 0-60

Last edited by HumanWiki; 08-23-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Because, more times than not, the way an auto launches and the way a stick launches, the auto is going to win on a dig launch like this.

Its drive line is pre-loaded.

You only have to let off the brake and go. No slipping the cluth / throttle feathering. (even computer controlled launches in a single clutch don't really keep up with the TC in the Autos for this -- yet. They're much better, but you're still dealing with the clutch/throttle ratio and that's still quite manual on the human and prone to judgement and application error)

The effective gearing on 1-2 in the A10 may still be better than 1 in M6 and the auto trans will shift quickly enough to keep up over a tall gear. (if you've not listened to the A10 upshift, you should. it's super snappy)

All things being equal. It's tough to beat the auto these days in a dig launch when both cars are pretty much the same otherwise.

**also, be careful when comparing some 0-60 if you see the "with XX rollout" as that's not technically a 0 movement dig and is not unlike shallow staging on a 1/4 to give you some roll time to not red light on the second beam and it can affect times, esp on the shorter things like 0-60
All good points. It should be interesting to see how this A10 handles the beating it is sure to receive, especially when people put drag radials on these things and line lock. I have vacillated back and forth but I know I have beat the hell out of the M6 in my current Z and it is as consistent at launch 10 as it was on launch 1. If there is a variance, it is driver, not car. I hope that is the same with the A10 and all the preload that driveline is going to have to deal with, especially the torque converter.

I had a three speed powerglide in my 69 for years and it was bullet proof at the track and a wonderful track transmission but it also had a 4K stall converter and was purpose built for 1000hp so I never thought twice about it.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
All good points. It should be interesting to see how this A10 handles the beating it is sure to receive, especially when people put drag radials on these things and line lock. I have vacillated back and forth but I know I have beat the hell out of the M6 in my current Z and it is as consistent at launch 10 as it was on launch 1. If there is a variance, it is driver, not car. I hope that is the same with the A10 and all the preload that driveline is going to have to deal with, especially the torque converter.

I had a three speed powerglide in my 69 for years and it was bullet proof at the track and a wonderful track transmission but it also had a 4K stall converter and was purpose built for 1000hp so I never thought twice about it.

Yes, it's usually down to driver skill at that point.. Some can launch well, some can't..... I still, to this day, will read Ranger's stuff... He's a stick master.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Al O. is quoted in the videos in another thread saying it will do 0-60 in 1st gear. Can't be too much slower than the A10 if that's the case. 3.7 is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #14
BAAD LS2

Drives: TBSS
Can't believe nobody asked him what clutch was going to be in the car...
BAAD LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote