Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Drillteamleader

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Cammed ls3 driving problems

I recently installed a gpi ss3 cam in my car along with lightly ported heads. Working with my runer, after 6 tunes, i am still having some major drivability issues. I cant even rev the car up without it stumbling and popping out the exhaust. What are the big cam drivability issues you have had?
Drillteamleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Slammed1000

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Its either a mechanical issue. (Pushrod legth, cracked plug, bad boot, etc) Or your tune. What your experiencing is not normal. I have the SS4 and my wife dailys it no problem at all.
Slammed1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Have another shop check the tune. I have the same setup and only a startup tune from Vengeance and its spot on.

My only issue is 6th gear at 50mph lol
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Drillteamleader

Im going to check the plugs and look for a possible vacuum leak tonight. Im pretty sure its the tune, but i have no problem double checking my work. I dont miss much of anything when i have a big project, but you never know?
Old 06-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
post the tune in the section and we will help you. p.s. do you have a wideband?
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Drillteamleader

No wideband. I will post the tune later.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
tonyG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
curious to whats going on with your set up/tune . I had a little pop, crackle and back fire after my nightfury cam install but I have not gotten it tuned yet. it just did that when coming to slowing to stop and not stopping completely then revving a little to get going. I just drove it for a few miles to make sure everything is okay but I haven't even revved past 3k. keep us updated
tonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I have the Nightfury and it drives pretty well. Some slight bucking under 2k in certain ranges. Very easy to adapt to though, very pleased with it overall. What you're experiencing is not normal. Have someone else check the tune and be sure to make sure its mechanically alright.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
I have the Nightfury and it drives pretty well. Some slight bucking under 2k in certain ranges. Very easy to adapt to though, very pleased with it overall. What you're experiencing is not normal. Have someone else check the tune and be sure to make sure its mechanically alright.
LULZ...see that didn't take too long to get used to did it?

OP..agreed...double check your work and kudos' to your own humility! I can't tell you how many times over the years after havin worked on a project to have (hopefully in your case) somethin simple trip you up...double checked the spark plugs..so easy to crack them...and all grounds are clean and tight...good luck!

btw - what level of exper do you have? just curious helps set the level of help...
Old 06-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
Drillteamleader

As far as expierience, i did my own port work on the heads and throttle body. Ive built a few 8 second drag cars over the past 15 years and rebuilt about 10 engines to make more power. I got a set of stock heads on a wednesday and had them ported and on the car with the cam swap by saturday. No leaks, no problems other than hiding the tranny line clips a little too well.�� I checked over everything tonight and loaded a new tune he sent me, and still the same problem. It does drive ok as long as i dont need any power to leave a light. Stumbles poppes and backfires if i give it any real load. Also stumbles on every gear change unles i shift fast. Wot throttle seams ok but i feel like it is t making the power it should. I made a suggestion that maybe he needed to delay the injecter timing and he told me it would blow up if he did that��.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #11
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
LULZ...see that didn't take too long to get used to did it?
Not at all haha. I just had to get used to shifting later and not being so conservative. Still will opt for a good set of 3.91 gears though
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillteamleader View Post
As far as expierience, i did my own port work on the heads and throttle body. Ive built a few 8 second drag cars over the past 15 years and rebuilt about 10 engines to make more power. I got a set of stock heads on a wednesday and had them ported and on the car with the cam swap by saturday. No leaks, no problems other than hiding the tranny line clips a little too well.�� I checked over everything tonight and loaded a new tune he sent me, and still the same problem. It does drive ok as long as i dont need any power to leave a light. Stumbles poppes and backfires if i give it any real load. Also stumbles on every gear change unles i shift fast. Wot throttle seams ok but i feel like it is t making the power it should. I made a suggestion that maybe he needed to delay the injecter timing and he told me it would blow up if he did that��.
If your "tooner" is telling you that delaying the inj timing is going to blow it up you need to find a competent tuner and get away from the one you have now. After hearing that comment I would bet his crafty work is all your problem. My old SS3 and my current SS4 drives like a charm, it's all in the tune if your mechanically sound.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Drillteamleader

I started to get that feeling when he told me my ported throttle body might be causing all the problems. Ordered a new tb and nothing changed! Im calling speed inc in the morning, right after i call this guy and see if he is going to buyhis tuner back or get blasted for the shoddy work!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #14
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillteamleader View Post
No wideband. I will post the tune later.
then you need a wideband. otherwhise you can't be sure about the tune.
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote