Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
kc690

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red ZL-1
ZL-1 daily driver

I have owned a 2010 2SS since late 2009 and was considering upgrading to a ZL1. After researching the car and test driving one, it seemed like it was pretty tame for everyday use, similar to my 2010, as long as you were nice to it. I live in the DC area and the winters can be cold, although usually not terrible. I have recently learned about the use of the summer tires in the cold and now am rethinking getting one. I have owned several fast cars, most of which I never drove in the rain, let alone cold conditions and vowed not to have a car that I couldn't drive in most conditions again. It sucked seeing that payment come out every month and not enjoying it. I do not plan to drive it in significant snowy conditions (1 inch or more), but would need to use it during the winter. Does anyone have any insight as to their experience with driving their ZL1 as an every day driver? Especially a comparison between the SS with P-zeros, which sucked pretty bad in the light snow also, and the new F-1s. Thanks
kc690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Car can be a lion or a lamb, depending how you drive it.

I used mine as a daily driver since early November. I even drove it in snow a few times when I had no choice. Was it optimal in the snow? No, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just put it in "wet mode" and easy on all your inputs (throttle, braking, and steering) and you'll be ok. Keep in mind that I have a lot of experience driving in the snow. I also had my wife's SUV for the bad snow.

Below 40 degrees the tires are not great, but are not terrible either. Some wheel hop on turns and accelerating up-hill, but mostly avoidable. Under 20 degrees and Goodyears can crack. You know how cold the winter was here this year. I did driving in the single digits and luckily didn't get any cracks. These cracks are supposedly just superficial. For a typical MD/VA winter, you should be good to go.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
kc690

Thanks BigBoyBlue. That was great advice.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
BigBoyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc690 View Post
Thanks BigBoyBlue. That was great advice.
For a few extra bucks you could just buy winter tires. Winter tires will allow you to drive in almost anything. Your only limiting factor will be front clearance with deep snow. Your car will be a snow plow! I had winter tires on my BMW M3's in Wisconsin, but a Wisconsin winter is much more severe than a DC winter. For DC, I'm taking my chances with one set of OEM tires.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
In Virginia also. Drove it everyday this year...but bought winter tires. Zero issues overall. Go for it.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
BigBoyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
In Virginia also. Drove it everyday this year...but bought winter tires. Zero issues overall. Go for it.
That's clearly the best solution.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Also put Blizzaks on a set of used SS wheels and drive mine daily, everywhere. I've taken mine through the mountain passes in the dead of Winter, no issue. It's the best balance of all cars I've ever seen, don't hold back and get one before they're all gone.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
Joey0995

Drives: BMW
All you need is a good set snow tires and you would be fine. The car was made to be daily driven and not a garage queen. Now had the car cost 100k+, then it might not want to see the snow/rain
Joey0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
My hats off to anyone that drives a Camaro of any type in DC on the daily! The bumps and potholes are rediculous to say the least! I think i would be more worried about body damage than tires.....not like you can go fast enough due to the bumper to bumper traffic for the type of tires to matter anyways...lol!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
kc690

I would be driving it between Warrenton and Manassas on 2 lane curvy roads. It's actually fun because you can actually use the handling characteristics of the car. You just won't get any real speed. Thanks for all the good comments
Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
13ZL1BLove

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I live south of Chicago and I drive mine as a daily driver in the good months. I have stock tires on her still and I'm at 7300 miles. Ill probably be getting just new rear tires this summer. And I agree you can either drive it as luxury or you can drive the wheels off of one. I changed throttle body and intake and drive almost 30 miles highway at night to work and get about 18-19 mpg (6th gear at 72 mph). I love my car. I park her about middle of November because the goodyears suck in the cold extremely and I work midnights so it's to cold for me to drive it home in the morning. If you plan to drive it in the cold I would suggest switching tires. I'm talking to my tire guy to see if I can get some. Bridgestone high performance all season tires. Other then that. I highly suggest getting a Z. Best decision you will make.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto
Daily driver in Puerto Rico. Mine is a 2013 and has 11,000 miles but I drive 15,000 miles a year. Good roads, bad roads, sunny, rainy, no problem. It's more comfortable than my previous SS. That it scrapes the front splitter in some places, who cares? It's so low and black that the scratches are not visible and the splitter only costs $100. My avg MPG is 14, but if you have the money for a ZL1, you have the money for gas. I have friends that waste more money on Wine than what I spend on gas. Driving the ZL1 is more fun than drinking wine.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I cannot comment on the winter issues. I think others have covered that well. But I really enjoy using mine as a DD. Gas is expensive, but I don't drive that far on an average day. If you drive it like a hot rod then you're bound to wreck it, get tickets, tick off the neighbors, or generally attract negative attention. But that's no different than an SS. Drive it like a normal car and I think you'll be fine.

There is the however. Someone mentioned pot holes. I don't specifically have an issue with that where I live, although I drive across railroad tracks just about every time I leave the house. But I am looking at moving to Atlanta in December 14/January 15 and they have terrible roads. As I've been over there driving around I just feel the hits my car is taking and I hate it. I've got my truck, was going to sell it, may keep it and see in case I need it for daily use.

Good luck with your decision. My opinion is that you can't go wrong with the ZL1.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
If its the power of the car your concerned about I DD my blown SS and with 600rwhp its no big deal. Drive in Prius mode when commuting.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote