Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 AM   #1
TwistedCamaro
Mad***der

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The headaches have started!

\rant

So just got my car this last Wed, it was shipped to me from Florida after winning an Ebay bid. I looked at the pictures about 100 times before bidding on the car, living in California and with all this emissions regulations I had to make sure it was legal. So I had a dealer take a picture of the emissions sticker and it was CA compliant. Everything seem good or so I thought.

Car gets here and you know I take pictures and what not, no dents or major scratches to be seen. Interior is almost perfect. One of the glass from the clusters 4 pod is broken. The Trans TEMP. No biggie I saw that on the pictures before hand ( how do you replace them ? ) and some of the speakers appear to be blown. Other than that car is solid....

.... I turn on the car and booom! sounds amazing! like too good, like a race car good. Look underneath and NO CATS! no cats! and LONG TUBE headers!

How do I pass smog check in CA with no CATS? you can't. Engine codes are for the lack of cats. So unless I put the exhaust back to stock I wont be able to register it here in California.

Don't know what to do...

/rant

On a good note, 2 confirmed kills so far. 2016 Mustang 5.0 and what I believe is a 2016 corvette with unknown mods.
TwistedCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
TwistedCamaro
Mad***der

I don't know what mods are done to this car, my friend ( GM tech ) thinks the heads were replaced, has a mild cam and a tune. I found a switch on the center panel by were the knee sits, doesn't do anything that I can see. I don't think is for cutoffs since it's pretty much straight pipes.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 AM   #3
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Buy some stock cats and put them on for the smog or some hi flow cats. It's all OBD2 scan no sniffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCamaro View Post
I don't know what mods are done to this car, my friend ( GM tech ) thinks the heads were replaced, has a mild cam and a tune. I found a switch on the center panel by were the knee sits, doesn't do anything that I can see. I don't think is for cutoffs since it's pretty much straight pipes.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
You should be able to find a set of stock manifolds and mid pipes with factory cats pretty easily. Depending on your mechanical skills, your looking at a few hours of labor to bring it back to stock. You mention that the car has a CEL due to the headers but then mention that the car may have a tune. If it were tuned then more than likely you wouldn't be getting a CEL. They should have tuned out the back O2 sensors. Either way you'll have to clear the codes with a hand held scanner/tuner.

If the car is tuned you'll have to find someone who can flash a stock tune back into the ECU. But if you have a cam and aftermarket heads the car may not like the factory tune. Can you check with the dealership you bought the car from and possibly get a list of mods that were done to the car? I wish you the best of luck getting this all figured out.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
TwistedCamaro
Mad***der

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYouOne View Post
Buy some stock cats and put them on for the smog or some hi flow cats. It's all OBD2 scan no sniffer.
Being OBD2 scan, Hypothetically can I just clear the CEL code and do the smog test? it will fail visual right thought?

NEVERMIND that previous statement, did some research and that wont work.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
OP, You came to the right place for advice. I don't know if it will solve your problem, but check out this guy's ad here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465088

Good luck. I hope CA emission standards never make it to the rest of the country!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Does CA do a visual? If not get a tune from RDP dyno Steve! His tune will clear all codes, pass all OBDII tests(per Steve) AND turn what you think is a fast car into a completely different animal....

F. Weller

btw - I have the stock exhaust manifold and cats(WITH O2's) from my 2010 layin on the garage floor gettin ready to toss...if you need them let me know....s/h plus a little scratch to make it worth my time lol

Last edited by frankwjr; 09-07-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: update
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you need to know what was done to the car. if you have a cam or heads you kneed to know what ones. If you have a local tuner take it there.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
TwistedCamaro
Mad***der

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Does CA do a visual? If not get a tune from RDP dyno Steve! His tune will clear all codes, pass all OBDII tests(per Steve) AND turn what you think is a fast car into a completely different animal....
My first search from Google came out that he is getting sued ... anyways I got the car smogged and passed with flying colors. Its always nice to know someone who knows someone who can get you a number to call this other person who emails you an address where you can meet someone who tells you where to take it to.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCamaro View Post
My first search from Google came out that he is getting sued ... anyways I got the car smogged and passed with flying colors. Its always nice to know someone who knows someone who can get you a number to call this other person who emails you an address where you can meet someone who tells you where to take it to.
NICE!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I talked to a smog shop today he said a tuner can tune the car so the code for the cats shows up and passes. I am in the same boat I got to get mine smogged as well.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
Register it in a different state that does not have such high emission standards. Maybe a friend or family member lives in a no-emission test state? Just a suggestion. Don't know the legality of that, so if it is illegal, I never suggested doing such......LOL!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #13
TwistedCamaro
Mad***der

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkinBlk View Post
Register it in a different state that does not have such high emission standards. Maybe a friend or family member lives in a no-emission test state? Just a suggestion. Don't know the legality of that, so if it is illegal, I never suggested doing such......LOL!
Too late I'm gonna tell everyone!

I got it smogged already, just need to find a tuna guy
Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #14
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I'm surprised you passed. Long tubes are illegal here so you won't pass the visual test. Weird. You must know a guy
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote