Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #71
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Well you have a lot more experience there than I do but I think it is smart to start with a 7000 red line and 70% boost and add gradually rather than go for everything right out of the gait and blow the car on the first pass. By the way, did you notice I got the award for the most passes the last time....lol. I may not be fast but I'm damn persistent....lol
lol, cool, how many passes did you make...

And we will sneak up on a fast pass... Several shake down passes to make sure it's all good to go.... trying to change the rotation of the earth on the first pass is a good way to make the car rotate in an unusual manner... butthole over teakettle... not for me....

I know that there are often several people that usually hang around to Sunday afternoon and hot lap their cars... A couple years ago a guy made 24 or 25 passes....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #72
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

and we have pretty much successfully jacked this thread... Sorry OP... lol... best intentions just no attention span.... at least on my part...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #73
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
I had pizza for dinner & then swam in my pool with the kids, good times!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #74
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
I had pizza for dinner & then swam in my pool with the kids, good times!
lololololol.... squirrel...

Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #75
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
lol, cool, how many passes did you make...

And we will sneak up on a fast pass... Several shake down passes to make sure it's all good to go.... trying to change the rotation of the earth on the first pass is a good way to make the car rotate in an unusual manner... butthole over teakettle... not for me....

I know that there are often several people that usually hang around to Sunday afternoon and hot lap their cars... A couple years ago a guy made 24 or 25 passes....
I made 9 passes on Friday and Saturday. I stayed until they kicked me out on Sunday but not one pass was made because of the intermittant rain. They actually had a car on the line at one time and just before they turned him loose we got another downpour so sunday was a total loss. And we had a 15 mph tail wind all day Sunday... It would have been beautiful......

Actually, this is not jacking the thread. It is possible to go over 200 with a blower and nitrous but not many do it.....very tough. It was clear to me that if you are going to be a land speed record holding car you have got to have some turbos. One of the reasons I started this compound boost thread is because....I'm thinking I would like to push it a little over 200 on the mile and as close as I was I realized I would never hit 210 with the current set-up unless a hurricane force wind came up behind me.....

But then again, Josh is a little off topic...lol.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #76
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I made 9 passes on Friday and Saturday. I stayed until they kicked me out on Sunday but not one pass was made because of the intermittant rain. They actually had a car on the line at one time and just before they turned him loose we got another downpour so sunday was a total loss. And we had a 15 mph tail wind all day Sunday... It would have been beautiful......

Actually, this is not jacking the thread. It is possible to go over 200 with a blower and nitrous but not many do it.....very tough. It was clear to me that if you are going to be a land speed record holding car you have got to have some turbos. One of the reasons I started this compound boost thread is because....I'm thinking I would like to push it a little over 200 on the mile and as close as I was I realized I would never hit 210 with the current set-up unless a hurricane force wind came up behind me.....

But then again, Josh is a little off topic...lol.
The dude in the Vert that holds the record at 217 has done that with a blower, but as you said it's tough... Chris Couture has been 206 on a blower... Pat out of Houston finally got his 200+ pass... I was excited for him.... He is running a whipple... burned up a harness last October, and was all over 194, 196, 199.X and then finally over 200 for his last pass...

Some of the cars had glory runs holding up quite well, but those 200+ mph capable cars were breaking stuff left and right this past March... Transmissions, axles, blower drive pulley brackets etc...

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it...

We decided to take the March run off and are building for this coming October... If all goes well it ought to be interesting... and I hope to see you get that damned elusive 200+ run in... I talked to a few people and the recurring theme is to get an LS2 throttle body... stronger motor for the throttle blade than the LS3... To this point I've only run the stock LS3 throttle body and have had no issues... though we are going bigger finally...

Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #77
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
The dude in the Vert that holds the record at 217 has done that with a blower, but as you said it's tough... Chris Couture has been 206 on a blower... Pat out of Houston finally got his 200+ pass... I was excited for him.... He is running a whipple... burned up a harness last October, and was all over 194, 196, 199.X and then finally over 200 for his last pass...

Some of the cars had glory runs holding up quite well, but those 200+ mph capable cars were breaking stuff left and right this past March... Transmissions, axles, blower drive pulley brackets etc...

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it...

We decided to take the March run off and are building for this coming October... If all goes well it ought to be interesting... and I hope to see you get that damned elusive 200+ run in... I talked to a few people and the recurring theme is to get an LS2 throttle body... stronger motor for the throttle blade than the LS3... To this point I've only run the stock LS3 throttle body and have had no issues... though we are going bigger finally...
Well the record car has the 4 liter Kenny bell blower and A LOT of nitrous, 20 pounds of ice per run and he is spraying nitrous, meth and fuel all in front of the blower to assist with cooling, and like you said he broke a lot of driveline parts. Other than him, I don't think any of the blower cars could do 210, maybe Chris on a perfect day but you get my point....turbos make the top end power that works so well in Beeville...that is why you have turbos.....lol.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #78
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Well the record car has the 4 liter Kenny bell blower and A LOT of nitrous, 20 pounds of ice per run and he is spraying nitrous, meth and fuel all in front of the blower to assist with cooling, and like you said he broke a lot of driveline parts. Other than him, I don't think any of the blower cars could do 210, maybe Chris on a perfect day but you get my point....turbos make the top end power that works so well in Beeville...that is why you have turbos.....lol.
how much power do you need to break 200mph with a Camaro?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #79
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
how much power do you need to break 200mph with a Camaro?
That depends on how quickly you want to do it... In a standing mile it's typically thought to be right at 1,000 rwhp,

Though with the right weather conditions it's been done with less and other cars have failed to do it with more power...

The current 5th Gen record for the mile is 217... about 1300 rwhp and perfect weather conditions... Warm track, cool air and a strong wind blowing straight down track...

I've been 183.7 at the half mile, 217 at the 3/4 and blew a head gasket out.. 183.7 is about 8 mph faster than any 5th gen has gone in that distance... no spray, no traction control, just spinning and grinning, bout 1440 rwhp at the time...

Given no distance limit, I'm guessing 700 -750 rwhp might do it..

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #80
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
That depends on how quickly you want to do it... In a standing mile it's typically thought to be right at 1,000 rwhp,

Though with the right weather conditions it's been done with less and other cars have failed to do it with more power...

The current 5th Gen record for the mile is 217... about 1300 rwhp and perfect weather conditions... Warm track, cool air and a strong wind blowing straight down track...

I've been 183.7 at the half mile, 217 at the 3/4 and blew a head gasket out.. 183.7 is about 8 mph faster than any 5th gen has gone in that distance... no spray, no traction control, just spinning and grinning, bout 1440 rwhp at the time...

Given no distance limit, I'm guessing 700 -750 rwhp might do it..
All of this information is pretty spot on. I have seen an unofficial 200 on the speedo at 757 whp with unlimited open road. When you only have 1 mile, it is amazing how fast that mile is gone..... the closer you get to 1000 whp the less room for error you have. A slight head wind, a bad shift, a loss of traction in first or second, wrong gear ratios, throttle body flutter.... all of these can make the difference between 190's and 200. I really would like to show up with 1400 whp and be able to make a less than perfect pass and still go 200...lol. I had 4 passes in the 190's, all with a head wind, I think just a change in wind direction may have made the difference. The conditions were not the best in March, the only record I know that got broken was one CTS-V went over 200 for the first time....and there were a lot of CTS-V's that had a lot more power than previous events.

One way or the another, I'm planning on being there in Oct. Maybe with a compound boost system.....

Old 05-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #81
ayousef

sorry i guess i was trying to ask how much power to hit 200 in a standing mile, but thanks for the answers!

Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #82
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
sorry i guess i was trying to ask how much power to hit 200 in a standing mile, but thanks for the answers!
Nothing to apologize for, like my first comment, it's generally considered to be 1000 rwhp in a 5th Gen and a good pass is required, miss a shift, spin a bit too much, a bit of a headwind are all show stoppers...

Jess struggled with a throttle body problem, another guy was fighting the wind... As was Jess, it's dammit tough as there are a string of cars that have not made that elusive run yet, with lots of power... Jess will make it in October I have no doubt... I'll help in whatever fashion I can though his car is pretty dialed in already,,, just needs a break... Weather, traction etc...

I didn't run in March since we made the decision to get the car right before trying again... And the Sr tech told me not to come back without the cage being finished after going 183.7 at the half mile... I was tech inspected to 229.99 mph and would have very possibly gone beyond that... I have no issue with the full cage mandate as it's about safety and my car will be in the cage fab shop this coming week... Ten point certifiable cage...

Old 05-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #83
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Nothing to apologize for, like my first comment, it's generally considered to be 1000 rwhp in a 5th Gen and a good pass is required, miss a shift, spin a bit too much, a bit of a headwind are all show stoppers...

Jess struggled with a throttle body problem, another guy was fighting the wind... As was Jess, it's dammit tough as there are a string of cars that have not made that elusive run yet, with lots of power... Jess will make it in October I have no doubt... I'll help in whatever fashion I can though his car is pretty dialed in already,,, just needs a break... Weather, traction etc...

I didn't run in March since we made the decision to get the car right before trying again... And the Sr tech told me not to come back without the cage being finished after going 183.7 at the half mile... I was tech inspected to 229.99 mph and would have very possibly gone beyond that... I have no issue with the full cage mandate as it's about safety and my car will be in the cage fab shop this coming week... Ten point certifiable cage...
Thanks for the encouragement Robert, unless I try to get compound boost before October, my car will only have minor tweaks. I know my car can do it with my current power level... it just need everything to come together....

Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #84
ayousef

Quote:

interesting so how heavy will your car be when its all said and done?