Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
jaxonjr

Drives: 2004 CLK AMG55
2SS vs 1SS 1LE

First post on here, so go easy.

I’m weighing buying a 2020 2SS or 1SS 1LE. Both manual.

2SS has Mag ride and the upgraded exhaust.

I’ll never track it.

I like performance. I’ve owned a lot of German performance.

I know the brakes are better on the 1LE.

Heard the chassis is better and the clutch is better on the 1LE.

Like the wheels better on the 1LE.

But.... I prefer the interior and upgrades on the 2SS.

Just for grins..... I haven’t owned Chevy since 1976 when I had Chevy Vega. I was 21.
jaxonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Why not a 2SS 1LE?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Chevrolet does make a 2ss 1le - I've got one. All the benefits of the 2ss and the 1le.

If you're not going to track it and don't mind the suspension being a good amount less stiff, the 2ss sounds like the one for you. To me, the 1le is great on roads, but you really struggle to get within 30% of the car's limits on the road. Those wheels and brakes are FAT.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes I too would suggest a 2SS since you aren’t planning any track events. You could upgrade the wheels/tires at some point and probably find some take off 1LE wheels to buy. Just consider that the tires will be wider and more expensive than the standard SS tires and will definitely cost more to replace but will handle and ride better!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
2ss especially if it’s a dd and you’re not going to track it. 1le package changes the car a bit.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
jaxonjr

I’m coming off an M2. Prior to that a 2009 911.

I like performance. Was trying to gauge how much performance I’m sacrificing if I don’t go 1LE.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
2017Darkness

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I bought a 2SS 1LE just a couple of months ago to use as my DD (for now.) I knew going in I wanted the 1LE not only for the look, but the performance. I wanted a 2SS because I was spoiled from my trucks being LTZ's and SLT's, so I wanted heated/cooled seats and Bose stereo. I live where there are a lot of back country roads, so I can get out and have a great time with the 1LE setup.
2017Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Performance wise there are a lot of differences with the 1LE

Besides the brakes, it has larger MagnaRide shocks and has a stiffer calibration. Stiffer sway bars, stiffer bushings in the cradle and suspension, stiffer suspension arms, the heavy duty 3-piece differential with E-Diff, heavier duty axles, more aggressive suspension geometry, air ducting for the brakes, stiffeners from the front strut towers to the body.

Actually - the clutch is the same, GM only has one clutch for all the LT1 engines across all platforms, and one for the LT4 (the LT4 has a heavier pressure plate)

If you want a performance drive, the 1LE is not just good, it where it excels. I mean, it is the example of the class for the domestics, and it is on par with just about any offering in the European builders in a RWD offering.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The 2SS will still have plenty of performance for the street and you'll likely not get much more out of the 1LE in terms of performance because it's tough to get either of those cars at their limit on the street, but I would suggest the 2SS 1LE is because everything comes pre-integrated and you get more bang for your buck. However, you could also get the 2SS and swap parts from a 1LE on depending on budget and your overall goals for the car.

If I'm not forgetting anything, differences between 2SS and 2SS 1LE are wheels and tires, stiffer suspension, bigger front brakes, Recaro seats, slightly shorter shifter throw, alcantera steering wheel and shift knob, eLSD, black wrapped hood and painted mirrors/spoiler, PTM drive modes, and potentially PDR (I think this is only an option for the 1LE at least?). Chassis/frame is the same between the two aside from the stiffer suspension components, and I'm not aware of any difference in the clutch.

The only things on that list that you can't really add on later or substitute for are the eLSD and PTM modes, but since you're not taking the car to the track you won't need those anyways. After that, everything else comes down to preference of style and performance. Can probably get a the 2SS and change wheels and add a few other 1LE items for less than the cost of the 1LE package, but it all adds up pretty quickly and can easily cost more than just getting the 1LE package originally if you want most of the things on that list.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
jaxonjr

Great input.

I’ll probably have to go 1LE.

I’ve driven one and have to agree with the performance.

I was very impressed.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
And jaxon, I forgot to mention my first car in high school was a 1974 Chevy Vega in 1975 when I was 17 years old! Drove the pure dog mess out of that car and had to add a quart of oil every 100 miles because of that sorry aluminum block 4 cylinder engine. Was planning a V8 conversion in 1980 when it was totaled in a rear end accident. Oh the old days!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
2SS 1LE is an amazing grand tourer, it's only something like 6lbs heavier than the 1SS version and a few more with a sunroof. Big selling points for me were sunroof, blind-spot detection, heated wheel and heated/cooled seats, rear cross-traffic (works outstanding), slightly better radio is nice-not the end all though. The mag ride definitely makes it able to change character from normal high-performance car to track-monster that is glued to the ground.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #13
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I made this choice in 2018. I picked 1LE. The 1LE is unique (2SS 1LE wasn't yet offered). Get the 1LE package no matter what trim level you pick.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Let me first say that I'm all about excess. Get as much as you can and as much as you want! However... ...you already said you WANT the options of the 2SS, and you are NOT going to track the car. To me, buying the 1LE in this situation is like playing backyard football with a bunch of grade school kids, and choosing Tom Brady as your QB over Aaron Rodgers. Better? Yeah.... but I mean.... really?
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote