Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #6945
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
That's a sweet discount! Are you buying to carry? Or target/compete? The team sport will always be a more valuable pistol than the ultra carry, and I would edc it in a heart beat. But the weight and size difference will be noticable.

The ultra carry is aluminum frame, along with the shorter barrel/slide, and with a decent holster is pretty forgettable on your side. By FAR my favorite edc, but not my favorite pistol.

You probably won't forget that team sport is on your side, but if I had to poke an eye out at 10 yards give me the long barrel.

My tanfoglio will shoot quarters at 50 feet, and you feel the quality in the build by just handling it. But when it's on my hip it lets me know it. I would hate to edc it. Having said that, it's my favorite pistol owned.

Unloaded
Kimber ultra carry 25 oz
Kimber team sport 38 oz

Almost a pound heavier. Don't sound like much but it's 33% more weight

Edc, get an aluminum frame. Comp gun get the big gal. But that's just me.
I would very rarely ever carry. Heck I hate to pocket a cell phone.

Mainly for home defense and target shooting. I know once I start going to the range the competitive side will come out so that possibility exists too. With this big of a discount the team is the best "deal" but still pricey.

I was thinking 9mm but this also comes in 45 as well.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #6946
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Oh yeah the Sig 1911... Sig doesn't make a bad pistol that I'm aware of, but that tac rail does two things on a full size 1911. It makes the recoil feel buttery smooth, and when holstered it makes your pants fall off... Cuz that's one heavy pistol!

I'd take that Sig without tac rail all day any day. But yeah, a steel 5" 1911, tac rail or no, is a lot of weight to carry. If you edc it consider a belt upgrade as well.

What belts are you edc guys using? I've had a 511 tactical for a few years but it's lost some of its original stiffness.
I EDC a Ed Brown 1911 Special forces 5" barrel government profile in a Milt Sparks VMII on a Daltech superstiff belt (https://www.daltechforce.com/gun-bel...rnal-stiffener) It conceals very good and the belt supports the weight of the gun.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #6947
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I would very rarely ever carry. Heck I hate to pocket a cell phone.

Mainly for home defense and target shooting. I know once I start going to the range the competitive side will come out so that possibility exists too. With this big of a discount the team is the best "deal" but still pricey.

I was thinking 9mm but this also comes in 45 as well.
You might look into the rules, but I'm sure that match pistol was made for a stock class. 30 yrs ago competitors were shooting 9mm and reloading light rounds with soft springs in the pistol for faster target reaquire. Don't know what's popular now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Blinder View Post
I EDC a Ed Brown 1911 Special forces 5" barrel government profile in a Milt Sparks VMII on a Daltech superstiff belt (https://www.daltechforce.com/gun-bel...rnal-stiffener) It conceals very good and the belt supports the weight of the gun.
Its sure nice to see someone edc an Ed brown, that's great!

I'll look in to the belt, this 511 was a quick fix and worked well enough I just forgot about it. A good belt sure makes all the difference. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #6948
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
EDC an Ed Brown is great, very reliable and accurate.

A out of the box Kimber (which they all are) not so much espically reliability, owned a few and no more.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #6949
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post

A out of the box Kimber (which they all are) not so much espically reliability, owned a few and no more.
A friend of mine says the same thing. He bought a new one and it wouldn't run well. He messed with springs, magazines, different factory rounds, etc. He reloads and finally found a single bullet (Montana Gold 230gr RN) that it feeds reliably. I offered him $350 for it...
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #6950
Mr Twisty

I really like mine. Maybe they just needed some good mclovin.

I've shot heavy powder reloads, which it loves, light reloads which it tolerates if I don't limp wrist it, then I'll get a fte occasionally. Factory loads any weight bullet are fine. Just gotta keep her clean. Fit and finish and tolerances are great.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #6951
Tenring

It's not just that most don't run well. I do not like the misleading advertising, there is nothing Custom about their Kimber Custom except their branded name.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #6952
Tenring

If I were looking for a out of the box 1911 that functioned like a custom made firearm, I would be looking at the STI Trojan.

Shoot against them all the time and they are the real deal for a box gun that is
Old 02-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #6953
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
85% of the problems I've seen with a 1911 end up being the extractor. I don't know why, but a 1911 is the absolute pickiest gun I've ever owned. I ended up selling mine and haven't missed it since.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #6954
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
85% of the problems I've seen with a 1911 end up being the extractor. I don't know why, but a 1911 is the absolute pickiest gun I've ever owned. I ended up selling mine and haven't missed it since.
Only ejection problems I've actually seen are limp wrist and short powder reloads.

I wish I was around with a pocket ful of cash while you guys were shooting
Old 02-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #6955
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I had an American Classic II, great budget 1911. It's also built in my birth country.

https://americanclassic.eagleimportsinc.com/
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #6956
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post

I know there's a lot of opinions good and bad between glock vs any other pistol, glock vs 1911, but lesser kimber vs other 1911 mfg. Bad q.c. from a larger mfg is inevitable.

Just for the record, I like glock, probably shot almost every model they've made. Very accurate, very dependable, very consistent. We did an amateur torture test on one, and it failed. In its defense, probably any pistol thrown in a muddy pond would have failed. We will see.one day

For one bad review of a kimber there are a lot of good reviews. I think it's a q.c. thing. I won't drop a $800 kimber in the mud on purpose, (it would fail, tolerances are too tight) but I do have a R.I. full size that's pretty loose I'd like to try it with.

There's a vid of a team of guys running 1,000 rds thru a kimber, and just a few fails, all operator error. I would try it myself but I'm too tight with my Ammo.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #6957
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
The 1911 was designed entirely around feeding the .45 ACP ball round the military used. Going outside of that round changed the way the round is fed into the chamber. It's not the guns fault people are trying to force it to work in a way it was never designed.

Edit: Not saying that was your problem, just a common one I hear. Also, a lot of newer production 1911s use cast or metal injection molded extractors, which have issues.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 02-08-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #6958
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I wonder how many victims of violence ever said that? I think of CCW like car insurance. Have it but hope you never need to use it. If you do, you'll be glad you did.
This /\
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun