Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
knight rider help

Alright well i got my dual 15" RGB scanners but when i went to install them the wires came loose. the ones that attach to the LED bars themselves. When testing my lights i also noticed the red didnt work on one of the bars( im assuming its another loose connection. Normally i would send them back but i dont want to wait so im taking it upon myself to re-solder the wires back to the bar. My problem is i dont know which wires get soldered where. I know you AAC guys are floating around out there can you help me out and give me a diagram of what gets soldered where. there are 3 soldered points on top and 4 on the bottom but there are way more wires than that.
Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Be sure to use a lot of RTV after you make the repair to ensure it's all weatherproofed. It sucks you have to make your own repairs on something you just bought but, I definitely understand not wanting to wait for a replacement.

As for what pad to solder to... did the wires come off of BOTH scanners? I can see one by accident but, both? Regardless of how it happened, the wiring follows a pattern, which is probably hard for you to see unless you take a significant section of the protective covering off. To fix the wires you're going to have to take some of the covering off anyhow. Perhaps you can find an electronics supply company in your town that can supply you with clear heatshrink tubing. That is what is used on those and they simply shoot a bunch of RTV down the remaining portion and fold over. Without having one right in front of me that's about the best I can do with helping you. Good luck
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Asian Zero

no it came off on just the one scanner i think another wire is loose in the other one i have though. yeah i would just check the other bar for the solder but i cant really see where the wiring goes without removing the heat shrink and i dont want to **** up both of them (in the end thats what i may end up trying though). thanks for the input
Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
since it's just the end you can easily repair both and seal them with RTV. If the other one is loose then I suggest repairing that so, if you do you'll have to take the protective cover off somewhat anyhow. Sealing it up with RTV will do the trick nicely. Just give it plenty of time to cure before install.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Asian Zero

bump......common i know you aac guys are out there....
Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Honestly, I don't see why you're going thru all this trouble. I buy from AAC because everything they sell has a lifetime warranty. Why would I fiddle with it ad maybe break it more when they will replace it for free.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Asian Zero

well i thought it would be a nice quick fix...solder a couple wires to a circuit board and you are good to go....apparently not. i also didnt feel like having to deal with shipping and what not.