Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #547
04svtsnke

Drives: '04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Did I miss where a new bone stock 500 has run in the 11s or an impressive E/T for that matter, outside of mag testing corrected times and a prepped track? I went to the SVT forum yesterday and there were two more running 12s over the weekend, again big mph, but with E/Ts that could be challenged by a few other cars including the ZL1
I'll let the post above me answer that question, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR046 View Post
The fact of the matter is that both cars are great and each person has their own preference. I think most of us could comment back and forth on these threads. The GT500 platform has had plenty of heat soak issues.I am a chevy guy and bought a ZL1 like most on the forums and could not be happier. I appreciate almost all cars and appreciate the mustang.

So the GT500 has been around for many years and Ford keeps improving the car to what it is today which is a great accomplishment and the people that buy them should thoroughly enjoy that effort. The Zl1 has just been released and the car is another great accomplishment. I have no doubt that the ZL1 will be upgraded and improved just like the GT500 has. So in the end we all win.
There's no doubt the old gt500's had heatsoak problems. Ford has slowly but surely made a car that's about as heatsoak-proof from the factory as possible. I too hope gm learns and adjust and puts cooling parts on this car that are truly needed to survive in this pony war.
04svtsnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #548
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04svtsnke View Post
You made a statement saying for need to put a blower on their motor to beat n/a motors which in fact isn't true since(as you said) the camaros weren't even being built anymore. SVT built that car to dominate anything on the road near its price range and it did a damn good job at it. You do know that the zr1 and the zl1 are iterations of the corvette and camaro, right? Weren't both cars n/a before being supercharged? How much sense would it have been for Chevy to just add more cubes when it was a lot easier to just supercharge them? That gets back to why you're a hypocrite, if the zl1 was a n/a car there would. E no comparison to the gt500 PERIOD. Chevy had to do the same thing for did and supercharge their flagship cars to continue to keep up with ford......just like ford had to in 03/04 as you've already said...do you get it?
page 24, top of the page.....

I haven't seen anyone in the real world run any proclaimed times at the road course or am I missing that thread? All I've seen are one or two guys( besides the aftermarket companies) who have gone out and just said how great the car felt but never posted times that were relevant to GM's claims. There's no doubtnthe car may run 11's in cooler weather and negative DA, I just don't think it's fair it'll only do it in fair to cold weather. The gt500 runs its 1/4 mile in the heat(decent d/a) so why can't the zl1? That's all I'm saying...for a 60k car I should t have to wait until its cold out to run good times or track times. It should perform consistently without fail.
You sir do not get at all!!! Ford had to add a blower to car because it was to weak in n/a form chevy didn't so to compare the 03/04 cobra to cars built years later(zr1/zl1) and then call me a hypocrite is a weak argument. Incase you haven't noticed most car manufactures have added some type of boost to there top dog ride so stop acting like ford started the trend and Chevy followed. Given the current cafe regulations i seriously doubt GM or anyone will be adding alot of cubes instead of adding boost and I'm sure you understand that.

As for the zl1 not running 11's I agree like I said before it sucks that it can't do it and most of the problems point to heat soak but again like I said if people can go 11's with cooler weather then they would have no reason to recall or upgrade(for free) anything to anyone since it did what they said it would. While most people including myself may not agree with there ways we have to look at it from there pov there car hit the numbers promised so there job is done and yes that's bad business but alot of businesses do work that way sad but true.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #549
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HpJunkie69 View Post
So GM claims the car is 11sec capable but forgets to mention its only possible in the winter. Yea nothing wrong with that. :-/
Typical HPJ response. let me guess you're on that forum to. which is a GM hating forum.

fastest I ever ran was during the winter (98 Z28). doesn't make it any less true that the car was capable of that 1/4 time.

as with the comments about the 500 not hitting 11's yet. give it time. let the drivers figure out the cars more. the 500 is a good car. so is the ZL1. respect both. but I like the camaro more.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #550
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Quote:
U dont know me.

Look up a few posts, i posted a link of a bone stock GT500 running a 11.70. Heat soaked.

If you or anyone else doesnt think the hype GM made about the ZL1 is flat out wrong is in denial. They touted it as a 11sec car. How long has the car been out now?? Not a single 11 sec bone stock pass yet. Mostly mid-high 12's. Not even close.
the koolaide is mighty strong in these parts
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #551
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
So GM claims the car is 11sec capable but forgets to mention its only possible in the winter. Yea nothing wrong with that. :-/
Yeah it sucks that it takes better weather to hit the number but I guess you could say its just like fords claim of the gt500 being able to do 200mph huh? Guess they both lied? Maybe you guys should call and complain to ford and stop trolling a zl1 thread with your gt500 gospile.
Quote:
U dont know me.

Look up a few posts, i posted a link of a bone stock GT500 running a 11.70. Heat soaked.

If you or anyone else doesnt think the hype GM made about the ZL1 is flat out wrong is in denial. They touted it as a 11sec car. How long has the car been out now?? Not a single 11 sec bone stock pass yet. Mostly mid-high 12's. Not even close.
Nobody is in denial we know it's going to take cooler weather for the zl1 to hit 11's and at the same time when the gt500 runs its fastest times we have to discredit all of those times (both cars) since neither car could do it year round. See how dumb that sounds once you make an excuse for one pass then you could move on to the next and so on picking apart every pass until you find a run that's meets your personal belief of what you feel the car is able to do which is subjective and never ending.<--- That last one applies to anyone not just you so please don't take it as a personal hit.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #552
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Broken record...boring...very boring
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #553
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Yeah it sucks that it takes better weather to hit the number but I guess you could say its just like fords claim of the gt500 being able to do 200mph huh? Guess they both lied? Maybe you guys should call and complain to ford and stop trolling a zl1 thread with your gt500 gospile.
^^^^ That's hillarious.... But so true..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Broken record...boring...very boring
Yup... I've said it many times. He only reiterates what others say and to top that off is now copied an Avitar from the SVT forum...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #554
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I'm sorry to resurrect such an old, long, painful thread, but I just read up to page 13 and kind find the answer I'm looking for.

Why did the ZL1 in this race run so terribly? It can't be conditions, the Shelby ran perfectly right next to it in the same conditions. High 12.9 at 112mph? Is that some kind of joke? lol

What was the verdict? Was there a verdict?

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 03-08-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #555
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
There is some difference in how well the two cars respond to conditions, and you might want to look at more than just the car.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #556
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There is some difference in how well the two cars respond to conditions, and you might want to look at more than just the car.

Norm
I know the driver was less than ideal, it's the trap speeds that are raising the eyebrow.

So basically, the ZL1 heat soaks much easier and more quickly then the GT500?

Thanks for the response!
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #557
bwolf11

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1/2018 ZL1 1LE
So it has been a long time since this event took place and there was many post's good and bad. Some of you guys really bashed the driver of the ZL1 and some said it is what it is. Could it of been weather, driver, car, or just facts. Seems like it was a bit of all that.

Since I was and am the driver of the ZL1 that raced the Shelby that night, I will add to some truth and facts.

1: I am not and never was a drag strip driver. It was all for the fun! My thrill is not in 12 seconds or a 1/4 mile. It is on a Road Course and I challenged the driver of the Shelby to a few laps on a road course and got no reply. The driver of the Shelby is an experienced drag racer with many years under his belt.
2: The ZL1 had 1,600 miles on it and was 100% stock.
3: I didn't heat up the tires with a smoky burnout which hurts the 60ft and more. I just couldn't do that at that time as it was so new.
4: Once I got outta the hole, the pedal never lifted till the end.
5: We were invited to give a show and that we did and I used my car and Bob used his. It was all about the show.

Its a shame some of the post's in here were negative, but I along with Bob (Shelby) were the ones that brought our cars to the show.

I still own the ZL1 and after a few mods and testing, it seems to have 650hp to the rear and runs like a true race car and I love it. I smile every time I turn the key.

I thank Atco Raceway for hosting the event and cant wait for the roads in NJ to come back to life so I can unleash my little friend.

Enjoy your ride guys....

BWolf
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #558
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
^^^^ you did just fine. It wasn't you're fault the owner of the Shelby and his wife turned out to be a total... well you know.

Kudos to you as you were a stand up guy through the entire thing. Hope you're enjoying your ride.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #559
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Classy reply
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #560
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Its a drivers race! I raced one too! Both bonbe stock and i barely beat him! It was a great race! It was also in the mid 80s that day! Here is the video!

Last edited by camarovigoa; 03-08-2014 at 12:53 PM.
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote