Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Disappointed in the Camaro - May get G8

Ok so don't anyone get upset !!! I think the Camaro is the coolest car to come down the pike in a long time. But I wanted to express the way I feel about the car right now. I am interested in getting something new, and not sure what to get. I have seen the Camaro but have not driven one yet. With that in mind......

I don't want to get too "practical", but I keep wishing that they had made the windows a bit taller and provided a bit more visibility at the pillars. I don't mean a big change where the total looks would be ruined. Everyone keeps saying that you get used to it... but it comes up so much in reviews that I know it is a problem. Ditto with the mirror blocking your view. Not being able to see is more than a minor annoyance. Seeing is sort of a requirement. Again, maybe after I drive one, I will change my mind.

The V6 automatic should have limited slip. What were they thinking? It's so much better in the winter.

HID's should be a separate option, so that ur not stuck with the RS rims with those expensive non-matched tires.

All V8's should be LS3's. If you don't want/know how to drive the stick then you are stuck with the AFM which is generally accepted as not being the preferred engine.

I don't like the frameless windows with window indexing. Too much to go wrong. Give us a frame around the window, it's a sturdier setup.

It would be nice to be able to delete the leather on a 2LT or 2SS. If I remember, if you try to build a 1SS with all the other features of a 2SS, it comes out almost the same price.

So on to the G8. With the G8 you get basically the same chassis. I was pricing out a GT model which has the 361 HP V8. (AFM) You can get same-sized tires. Limited slip. auto a/c. 0-60 in 5.3 sec. Windows with frames. If you price out a loaded GT, it comes in about the same or less as a loaded 2LT camaro. And that is before you get a discount off MSRP. And no worry about markup over sticker price. All in all a better value dollar for dollar.

Yes, it doesn't have the looks of the Camaro. Pontiac is going away. But I don't think parts will be a problem unless you are keeping it 10+ years.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
I can really appreciate your thoughts. Sounds like you would be better suited for a crossover or minivan.
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Teleplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestanda View Post
I can really appreciate your thoughts. Sounds like you would be better suited for a crossover or minivan.
No, I just want a sporty car that is comfortable to drive and has the options I want.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Get ready for the bashing
Old 05-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
wyoramsrt

Drives: 05 Ram SRT-10
The frameless windows have my attention as well. You know there is going to be a lot of wind noise at higher speeds.

2005 Red Ram SRT-10 QC
SCT tuner, CAI, Bassani shorty equal length headers, Catless midpipes
wyoramsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
zman302
DZ 302 4spd

Drives: 1969 Z/28
Well i have driven the new Camaro and i will say that the visibilty wasn't as bad i thought it would be, yes it is alittle hard to see, but that's what mirrors are for. Everyone wants hid lights without paying for the rs option, they will be avail in aftermarket soon. You also mention the frameless windows, all
Camaros have frame less windows, if they were framed the car would look horrible. The G8 is a great car and great value for someone that would like performance but more comfort than the Camaro can offer. Buy what fits you best, don't listen to anyone but yourself or you will be disapointed and if you decide on the G8, that will be one more Camaro avail for the guys that can't get one.

Last edited by zman302; 05-23-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: fix typo
zman302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
there are blinds spots in any car, unless its a vert... people are just giving feedback.
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
my2010camaross
ss

Quote:
for real or a scion tc... lol
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
my2010camaross
ss

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman302 View Post
Well i have driven the new Camaro and i will say that the visibilty wasn't as bad i thought it would be, yes it is alittle hard to see, but that's what mirrors are for. Everyone wants hid lights without paying for the rs option, they will be avail in aftermarket soon. You also mention the frameless windows, all
Camaros have frame less windows, if they were framed the car would look horrible. The G8 is a great car and great value for someone that would like performance but more comfort than the Camaro can offer. Buy what fits you best, don't listen to anyone but yourself or you will be disapointed and if you decide on the G8, that will be one more Camaro avail for the guys that can't get one.

listening to other people is the only reason the camaro is being made. yeah listen to other people just dont accept everything you hear.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Teleplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
Get ready for the bashing
That's ok I can take it. When evaluating the car, at some point you have to get beyond the fact that it looks good and everyone is going to go gaga over it. You have to think about the everyday driving experience. And if I can't see if a car is next to me, then that is not a good experience.

Please don't tell me to adjust the mirrors. I've used mirrors in the past, and then when I looked over my shoulder there was a car right next to me. The general rule is that you have to turn and look. If you only use the mirrors you are going to hit someone.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
steviefranchize

Drives: truck
lol about the minivan comment, anyways just get what you will be happy with.......on another note, frames around the windows are hideous, especially on a 2 door! in order to get this car as close as possible to concept they wanted to keep the roof as low as possible........this car is a looker and too achieve that "look" there are just some things that we will just have to deal with but i think in the end those inconviences are worth the looks achieved on this car.
steviefranchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
The G8GT is a really nice car, but the combination of more weight and "only" 360 HP make it a significant bit slower than even the L99/auto Camaro. The G8 needs to have the full-power LS3 (or L99) on the G8GT model. The G8GXP model is nice, but is just too expensive for a Pontiac.

I agree that I don't like "window indexing" on any car. Either do framed windows like on the GTO, or just do frameless the traditional way like on the 4th gen cars. Window indexing is just going to be a maintenance headache.
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #13
duskydunvin
duskydunvin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/Black
Send a message via AIM to duskydunvin

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black/Black
duskydunvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #14
zman302
DZ 302 4spd

Drives: 1969 Z/28
Teleplayer, i'm not telling you to adjust mirrors, im just saying that in some cars you have to use mirrors. but really take a test drive in this car before you decide, i really thought it was going to be hard to see and I didnt have a problem seeing, and i don't use mirrors much at all
zman302 is offline   Reply With Quote