Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Jay_D

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS LS3
Best Carwash options???

I'm sure this question has been brought up many times, but I can't seem to find any clear answers for my area. I'm wondering what the best carwash places; options, in the twin cities MN are? Is there any good hand wash places you can take your car to in the area, or safe auto wash options? If not what are other people doing to keep their car's clean? I know the best choice is washing and waxing it by hand yourself, but a lot of the time I either don't feel like doing it myself, or don't have time. I get conflicting info on wether or not it is safe to use the gas station touchless car washes, the general opinion seem's to be that they are ok in a pinch, but should be avoided due to the caustic properties of the soap's they use. And everyone seem's to agree that any friction based systems are the equivalent of washing your car with a chainsaw. And of course there is always the option of paying a professional detailer $150 - $250 to do it for you . I'm just looking for a reasonably priced, paint safe option for those days I don't feel like doing it myself.
Jay_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Ron_MA

Drives: 2014 AGM Trifecta Tuned V6
Touchless end of story, trust me.
Ron_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Due to back issues I have used touchless for 2 years with me finish drying with wax as you dry spray, I can't see any difference in paint.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Jeff1981

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 SPD
I hand wash mine with a microfiber cloth and dry with a leaf blower to get excess water out of all the crevices, then hand wipe with a clean cloth. If it's to cold out, I will take it and have a touchless wash done. I'd use caution when taking it to regular auto car washes with those brushes and id monitor the practices used at your local car washes. Here in my town a certain car wash store uses brushes on the front and sides of your car before it is sent through the car wash tunnel and they also use dawn dish detergent in the bucket. I'll send my work car through these, but never my Camaro.
Jeff1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
YOU, a microfiber wash rag, leaf blower dry, microfiber damp 'mop up' and microfiber rag with spray wax of your choice. Pass any automated car wash like it was a Prius with Hillary stickers plastered all over the bumper!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
maroonponyina1LE

Drives: 2015 1LE
I am in the same boat as you. My best results so far are by typing my zip code into www.findacarwash.com. Beyond that, there is a professional car wash place at I394 and Louisiana, on the north side of the highway that has been there for years.
maroonponyina1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
len_eng

Drives: 2024 Radiant Red 2SS, 1994 Z28,
Touchless with wax as you dry and a clean microfiber cloth.
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
Hi,

My opinion is you got to wash it yourself. If you just get 2 buckets, wool mit, and some microfiber towels you could wash it in a hour or so.

It takes me 3hrs but I usually take my time and get it as perfect as I can.

I haven't ever taken it to someone or a car wash. But then again I got lots of free time so don't know what it would be like not to have some days off.

Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
Ice Baby

Drives: 2014 Silver Ice Metallic LT
Touchless when really dirty, no wax. Tends to streak and swirl when I use a microfiber towel on it. I will be trying a waterless wash product, testing its effectiveness on my old Blazer first.😋 I am getting used to the fact that it's a car that gets dirty and sometimes I just don't have time to clean it, and that's ok.
Ice Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_D View Post
I'm sure this question has been brought up many times, but I can't seem to find any clear answers for my area. I'm wondering what the best carwash places; options, in the twin cities MN are? Is there any good hand wash places you can take your car to in the area, or safe auto wash options? If not what are other people doing to keep their car's clean? I know the best choice is washing and waxing it by hand yourself, but a lot of the time I either don't feel like doing it myself, or don't have time. I get conflicting info on wether or not it is safe to use the gas station touchless car washes, the general opinion seem's to be that they are ok in a pinch, but should be avoided due to the caustic properties of the soap's they use. And everyone seem's to agree that any friction based systems are the equivalent of washing your car with a chainsaw. And of course there is always the option of paying a professional detailer $150 - $250 to do it for you . I'm just looking for a reasonably priced, paint safe option for those days I don't feel like doing it myself.
It's not necessarily the soaps, but the crap that is left over on the material whipping across your car from previous vehicles. That's why it's best to hand wash your car with your own wash mitt(or whatever you use).

Touchless would be the best alternative, but if you get any dirt or grime build up from driving behind your wheels, a touchless wash will not get that out from my experience.
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Touch less used harsh chemicals, they usually strip LSP's over time. I do a rinse less, or water less wash. Takes about 10 minutes. My Camaro is coated so it is super easy to keep clean,
Attached Images

Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:20 AM   #12
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
I go to touchless. I use the car wash bay to spray it down with pressured water, get off any bird crap, anything that a touchless should but doesn't fully get off. Then I run it through the automated touchless, with air dry. Then I drive it on highway and usually dries anything that didn't dry.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Avoid all car washes. They leave extra scratches, swirl marks, and eventually make your paint look like junk. Hand washing is the way to go.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Avoid all car washes. They leave extra scratches, swirl marks, and eventually make your paint look like junk. Hand washing is the way to go.
Hand wash,leaf blower, microfiber wipe down. Get about ten micro towels. Wash, rinse, and dry in sections. Waxerup. Hit the hand sprayer in a pinch. That soap will strip your wax down. Keep a few towels in the cargo netting so you can spray and hand dry quickly, like 20min in and out.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote