Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 07-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #1
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
1991 Camaro RS Project

Picked up this little beauty yesterday. 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS with a TBI L03 TBI motor and 700r4 auto trans. Only 115k miles on the odometer and 1 previous owner. Picked her up for $2000. Previous owner said he put in a fuel pump and the sytstem won't prime. It starts if you put a little bit of gas in the carb hat. So.... I think the fuel pump is wired backwards, which is very common in the thirdgen style fuel pump... So I think the pump is pulling instead of pushing. he already cut an access panel so I am gonna open her up and see if I can get her running for cheap. Might just turn around and sell her for a small profit. or Part her out and keep the body, because its super clean. Will post more pictures later. This is just from towing it home yesterday.
Attached Images

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:37 AM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
nice little project car. hopefully its a easy fix for you to get it running. I had that same jeep, just traded it in for a new 23 jeep grand Cherokee 4xE hybrid. Put over 600 miles on it already and only used 1/4 tank of gas.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:28 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Man, you definitely don't see those anymore. Looks like a good find. It would be a shame if you hacked it up, I definitely vote for getting it running and maybe tinker with it a bit. Not sure if these will ever be highly desirable in the collector world but they definitely have a unique coolness.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:44 PM   #4
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Man, you definitely don't see those anymore. Looks like a good find. It would be a shame if you hacked it up, I definitely vote for getting it running and maybe tinker with it a bit. Not sure if these will ever be highly desirable in the collector world but they definitely have a unique coolness.
Its got a weird no-start issue that I have been tinkering with for the last few days. TBI Injectors aren't pulsing, and it runs on ether but It won't start. I really don't wanna hack it up but if i spend too much money making it nice I already know that I won't want to sell it.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:45 AM   #5
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Current state of the car. Interior is near mint. Hatch doesn't close be ause the gears on the pull down mechanism are broken, fuel pump access door was a total hack job... gas tank smells like old varnished fuel. Fuel pump install was questionable at best. Looks like a cheap Chinese pump. Might require a bit of an overhaul to get this car right.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Man definitely a lot going on there. I bet if you get those issues worked out it will be pretty bad ass. Interior looks awesome!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
That is a NICE interior! Reminds me of my old 92 RS I owned back in college during 1997-2000. I'd say fix everything wrong with it and keep it!
Attached Images

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:52 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I was thinking about this car the other day. I might be able to get you a rust free oem trunk floor cut from a southwest car at the junkyard near me, to repair that fuel pump hackery. Last time I was there they had a couple of 3rd gens cars there. I bet they are still there.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:33 AM   #9
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I was thinking about this car the other day. I might be able to get you a rust free oem trunk floor cut from a southwest car at the junkyard near me, to repair that fuel pump hackery. Last time I was there they had a couple of 3rd gens cars there. I bet they are still there.
I was thinking that I might actually drop the tank and weld the panel back together. All the pieces are still in the car so I atleast have the option. It's not pictured, but I do have the large panel piece that is missing. I've dropped these tanks before though and its a whole ordeal. Especially on a car in this condition. I'm afraid of what worn out bushings, damaged sway bar links, and whatever other surprises I might find dropping the rear end to get the tank out.

Side note, it may be frowned upon by some but the whole reason I bought this car was to get it running, clean her up a bit and sell her for a profit. I may have overlooked a few crucial areas of the car that will cost me alot of potential profit but... I still think there is room to make some money on her, and give her a new lease on life.

Her front brakes are completely locked up. Probably going to need calipers, rotors, wheel bearings, the whole nine yards... She needs the fuel system re worked. The fuel pump trap door cleaned up, and so far I have basically replaced the whole ignition, and put some nice speakers I found in the junkyard in her. Tires are a bit dry rotted, but I may look for another set of wheels on facebook or something. I think with a buffer wheel and some polish she will be a nice $4000-$5000 car though all said and done. So far I only have $2500 into it. Brakes are cheap, polishing it just takes time, and maybe a few suspension components. This is my second business venture of Sinacola Salvage LLC, so it needs to make a profit to buy the next car.

Last edited by The_bald_eagle_machine; 08-18-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #10
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Finally got my Camaro buttoned up so that I could pull this one into the garage for surgery. To start new front brakes, wheels bearings and sway bar bushings. The calipers are completely seized, and the seals are torn. It's a wonder the car even stopped at all. Sway bar bushings had left the chat, but luckily I had a spare set in my tool box from my last s10 build. Ordered new calipers and front brake lines. I also have a brand new gas tank, sending unit, filter, fuel pump and fuel sock going in next. Then she will be done. Might attempt to tackle welding the trunk "hackery" back together. But we will see.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2023, 08:43 AM   #11
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Found a really sweet end of year warehouse closeout deal on a JEGS brand fual tank and sending unit. $150 for the tank and $100 for the sending unit. Free shipping too, so I couldn't say no. The tank that was in the car was full of rust... so there was no other realistic option than replacing it. Removed the tank over the weekend. The exhaust is too far gone to save, so I bought a JEGS brand catback, which just arrived. Looks pretty damn good for $350. The panhard bars, sway bar, heat shield and hardware have all been sanded and spray painted with chassis black paint. They will be going on next. I think I have a lead on another thirdgen I wanna buy, so I need to hurry up and finish this one so that I can get rid of it. Once all the painted parts go back on and the exhaust is installed she will be for sale. Needs AC, headliner, and a little TLC here and there. Very clean, complete car. Hard to find such a rust free example out there. Will be asking $5000, but willing to entertain offers and or trades, as I mentioned looking to move on to another car fast.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2023, 01:59 PM   #12
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Got everything installed and the car started after 3 key primes and one turn of the starter. Seems to idle a little high. Once you put it into gear idle comes down to normal. Jefs catback exhaust was a really tight fit, but it did fit ok. Sounds stock. Pretty quiet. Bolted right up to the factory cat connection.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2023, 07:57 PM   #13
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Nice find. I had a 92 and I put my olds 350 in it about 15 years ago and it was a rocket. I wish I had the money I would take it off your hands.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  333.0 KB
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #14
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Picked up this pile over the weekend. It's an 86 camaro z28. Although I haven't looked for an rpo sticker to confirm it's a z28 or not. It has a nice roll cage that is very poorly welded in. Grinding that out will be fun...not. cheap plastic aftermarket racing seats.... but the body has no visible rust, and I picked it up for $500 as is... planning on removing all the bits I don't care for like the 700r4 that was stuffed in the trunk, and some of the interior bits, wheels, etc... and I should own this one for "free" there is a no title question on this car, hoping that I can get a lost title through the dmv. Gonna hold off on doing any work to it until I find out if I can get a title or not. If I can this will be my next ls swap build donor.
Attached Images