Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-25-2024, 11:03 AM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Supercharger bypass air cooling idea

I’ve had an idea for years that I’m thinking of trying. This may get a little techie and long…but for those of us die hard PDS supercharger modders…would love your opinion on this.

All PDS chargers have a bypass and recirculation pathway to keep the unused (but already metered MAF air) into the system. Mine is a Kenne Bell. But this concept would apply to anything with a bypass. Because these blowers move so much air…this causes air that enters the charger circuit to be recycled around the charger multiple times, and it just gets super heated. When I go accelerate, slam the bypass shut and go into boost…I typically will see an instant drop in IAT’s anywhere from 15 - 30 degrees. Then of course the air starts to heat up further the longer in boost. Which is a whole different story about how to keep cool…But this thought it about the bypass air only. So I conclude that the bypass circuit is creating about 25ish degrees more heat during normal cruise than needed.

So now to my thought: Why not run the bypass recirculating air down through an a2a intercooler??? Would certainly need some custom piping. But theory would be that I could lower my normal operating temps during cruise by a fair r amount. I do realize that this mod would do nothing for more performance. Just to keep the normal operating temps down.

Thoughts?

I doctored up a pic here to show what I’m thinking.
Attached Images

cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote