Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-07-2023, 08:48 PM   #1
Oboy66

Drives: None
Anyone installed one of these?

https://www.southerncarparts.com/201...-air-duct.html

I’m considering adding this to the hood of my SS but none of the websites offering these have any instructions. I’ve tried calling but haven’t been successful in finding out what’s involved or if a template is included. If you’ve installed one or know someone who has, drop a comment with the difficulty of installation and your impression of the fit and finished look.
Thanks
Oboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Try this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmQSpJJov8w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVHvWJcgDI
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:24 AM   #3
Oboy66

Thanks so much! Not sure why I didn’t think of YouTube, appreciate the links!

If anyone can comment on the fit I would appreciate it. A couple of the comments mention it being a little gapped in spots. Could be a fluke but makes me a little nervous.

Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2023, 07:09 PM   #4
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboy66 View Post
Thanks so much! Not sure why I didn’t think of YouTube, appreciate the links!

If anyone can comment on the fit I would appreciate it. A couple of the comments mention it being a little gapped in spots. Could be a fluke but makes me a little nervous.

Thanks again!
No problem, good luck if you pull the trigger on it.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:16 PM   #5
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
don't do it, they are bad
does not fit curve of hood
leaves gaps
gouges hood
then workmanship looks bad
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
Oboy66

Damn spyderbuddy! Sorry it didn’t work out for you but I really appreciate the feedback. I was worried that would be the case since none of the manufacturers pictures were up close where the insert meets the hood.
Too bad they can’t get it right because it really would be a nice upgrade. I haven’t seen a hood replacement I’m in love with.
The search continues.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
spyderbuddy

this was just after a Year
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
this was just after a Year
Aw man that sucks, are those circle marks where the bolts are held? Also have you tried some sort of weatherstrip or something similar around the perimeter to close the gaps?
Old 05-12-2023, 08:53 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

Yep, yep & yep
Old 06-21-2023, 11:17 PM   #10
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
I installed the ACS TL1 version about two years ago and haven't had any issues. It only came primered so I had it painted at a local body shop in carbon flash metallic. It did come with a set of instructions along with a paper template...and the install was exactly like the YouTube videos that Camaro2ss2010 posted. The kit also came with adhesive, but I never ended up using it. I just bolted it on with the supplied bolts.

I do have a small gap (maybe 1/8") along the edges where the vents are, but I ran a piece of 3/8" D-shaped seal around the inside edge of the hood insert which fills in the space nicely.

Name:  TL1 Hood-1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  187.8 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM   #11
thump426er

Drives: Z06
I’m thinking of going with a ZL1 insert as well, wondering if anyone has tried this one?
https://extremeonlinestore.com/produ...er-hood-insert