Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #43
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Get the V8. I love my V6, don't get me wrong, but if money was no object I'd have the V8 too. You already have buyers remorse and you haven't even bought it yet. Get the SS.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #44
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Please don't let the fuel milage be your main decision maker...
I drive my SS like it was meant to be driven.
over 8000 miles and my lifetime average is 22mpg. I drive almost 70 miles a day.
The V6 would not have saved much money in the fuel department compared to how I like to drive.
On the other hand, if it were between the V6 standard, and the V8 auto, I would have gone with the V6. The big power is awesome, but I get more enjoyment with a stick.
The salesman thought I was crazy debating between an LS and a 1SS. Completely different monsters.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #45
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver1 View Post
I drove the SS first, then the V6. Hard to compare. If I never drove the SS, I would have been happy with the sixer, but too late now...
Exactly why i didn't test drive an SS. Bc i would of loved it but i dont have the car, gas or insurance money for it (im only 21) lol. So I bought my self a 2012 1Lt and i am very happy with it. If you have the money for the SS then buy it.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #46
wontsellit

Drives: IOM
If your asking then you really want the v8. And if you get the v6 as soon as you do a v8 will show up exactly like you wanted.So don't waste your time with the v6.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #47
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
I'd say get the V8 if you have the opportunity if power is what you want.

However, I went with the 2012 with the new LFX V6 as I have a family and a budget and I wanted a good blend of power (323 hp) and gas mileage. I have the 2LS model and Chevy did some retuning to the rear gear ratio's (only in this model) and I get around 30 mph on highway trips. This, while letting me drive a great looking Camaro everyday!

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #48
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
Quote:
Please don't let the fuel milage be your main decision maker...
I drive my SS like it was meant to be driven.
over 8000 miles and my lifetime average is 22mpg. I drive almost 70 miles a day.
The V6 would not have saved much money in the fuel department compared to how I like to drive.
On the other hand, if it were between the V6 standard, and the V8 auto, I would have gone with the V6. The big power is awesome, but I get more enjoyment with a stick.
The salesman thought I was crazy debating between an LS and a 1SS. Completely different monsters.
Just a thought.... I guess the salesman will now look at you weird if you debate whether to get an SS or a ZL1 ??

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #49
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Don't get a v6 unless you drive > 140 miles/day like I do. I don't feel power in the v6. Maybe it's the low front-end torque like someone mentioned above, but it doesn't feel like a powerful car to me. I haven't driven an SS, but I'm sure it feels much more powerful.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #50
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I guess everyone must drive on a racetrack everyday to get groceries, go to work, etc. The V6 (especially w/mods) is plenty of car for daily driving needs. I never even thought about the whole V6 vs V8 thing until I joined this forum and discovered that there are an awful lot of insecure people out there. The only time I can really let my V6 rip is when I'm on the freeway and no one else is around, and even then, it's for a very short period of time. If you want the V8, you might as well go for it, but from a practical standpoint, it's overkill for a daily driver. Unless everyone really is using their V8 to it's full potential everyday on the streets, then it's more about bragging rights than anything else. Now if you want a track car, then sure, the V8 is the natural choice.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #51
Qtrofablock

Drives: 12 LS M6 All Blk
I love my 6!!!!!!!BUT, U shulda hada v8!!! If i couldve i wouldve!!!!! and Ive drove 6s an 8s! Even test drove a v8 m6 with aftermarket exhaust!!!!!! V8 if u can! No disrespect 2 the 6 or owners! I am one!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #52
frostbit3

Drives: 2011 1LT
I've had my 1LT for about 4-5 months now. I love my V6 and it's extremely powerful for a V6. I did however test drive a stick shift SS yesterday and realized how much power the V8's actually have. I'm now in the process of trying to find a good priced 1SS that I can trade my V6 for and not get too screwed in the process. I thought the V6 was enough and now I'm going to be losing quite a bit of money to switch to the V8. That's what happens though, you live and learn
Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #53
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I guess everyone must drive on a racetrack everyday to get groceries, go to work, etc. The V6 (especially w/mods) is plenty of car for daily driving needs. I never even thought about the whole V6 vs V8 thing until I joined this forum and discovered that there are an awful lot of insecure people out there. The only time I can really let my V6 rip is when I'm on the freeway and no one else is around, and even then, it's for a very short period of time. If you want the V8, you might as well go for it, but from a practical standpoint, it's overkill for a daily driver. Unless everyone really is using their V8 to it's full potential everyday on the streets, then it's more about bragging rights than anything else. Now if you want a track car, then sure, the V8 is the natural choice.
Pretty much says exactly what I was coming back to this thread to say, thank you ET.

I do get the feeling though that the OP will whince every time he sees an SS though, you know? If that's the case, buy one - but I'd personally buy a new V6 over a used V8.

Don't get fooled:
Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #54
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ugh, I'm getting so tired of reading this nonsense. Sure the v6 is plenty of car for a dd, hell, so is a 4 banger. Why do some people think that just because it is a big v8 that it is only useful on a track?? Try pulling onto a freeway with traffic doing 70+mph and tell me that you didn't pucker a bit while waiting for the 6 to get you up to speed in time to avoid getting slammed by a big rig. I know I did when I did the test drive.

The difference in mileage is nearly negligible, the difference in the cost between filling with regular vs. premium fuel is nearly negligible, the difference in insurance/tires/etc, etc is.... well you get the idea.

People keep using the word "practical" to describe the v6. Seriously? Same chassis, less power. How is that more practical? they both haul the same amount of cargo and passengers. Here's some food for thought: In a road trip scenario, with the trunk loaded with suitcases, the back seat filled with miscellaneous easy reach items and driver and passenger, what engine do you think will have to work harder to keep pace in traffic? What do you think that means for the fuel economy?

As an example, when I met my wife she had a Kia Rio. 1.5l 4 banger. It was amazing on gas. Very "practical". Until you put anything in the hatch. One summer we went camping and loaded up the car with a week's worth of gear. I had to keep it to the floor just to hold 60 going up a hill. Passing was out of the question. I really wished it had at least a 6 in it during that trip. We sold it a few months later just because of that trip.

And yes, bragging rights do come into the equation. These are iconic pony cars afterall. Nobody remembers or gives a shit about 6cyl Camaros or Mustangs or Chargers from back in the day. The purpose of these cars (pony cars) is giving the customer the most bang for the buck when it comes to power. For only a few K more than the 6, you can get the best bang for the buck in the segment. Hell, a 1SS can be had for the same or less than a 2LT.

Of course, it comes down to what one can afford and their personal preference, but if you do go with the 6, don't do it because you think it will get incredible mileage, or be substantially cheaper to run. Get it because it fits your buying budget and your lifestyle.

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Old 11-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #55
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
One thing... There is the V8 RUMBLE... Even at low speeds and not WOT, there is the V8 sound that some people just love and have to have!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #56
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Get the SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Yea, just continue your search for an SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Had my '11 v6 for 7 mths and while I loved it and it did have power...I traded up for a SS 6 weeks ago. I love it and no regrets. If u already have an itch for a v8, go ahead and get it now to avoid upgrading later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
As with the V8... I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh923 View Post
Just look at how many people have traded up on this forum alone.
I'm one of them. Go with the SS and you won't have any regrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMTGIE View Post
Get the v8.....
Quote:
I drove the SS first, then the V6. Hard to compare. If I never drove the SS, I would have been happy with the sixer, but too late now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
the ls3 has over 100HP more than the v6s... with a MUCH better engine to mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Yeah, I have seen other people buy a step down or two from the big boy engine, whether its Dodge or Chevy, just because they didn't want to spend the little extra money and then a month or two down the road they wished they would have done it right the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT D View Post
Go with the SS if you can get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Get the V-8, never look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsr6 View Post
Go with the V8!! Get what you want now or you will regret it later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
From a person who thought out and pre-ordered the V-6 way back in November of 2008, get the V-8. I do regret not getting the SS and will be trading up in the spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Get the V8. I love my V6, don't get me wrong, but if money was no object I'd have the V8 too. You already have buyers remorse and you haven't even bought it yet. Get the SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
Don't get a v6 unless you drive > 140 miles/day like I do. I don't feel power in the v6. Maybe it's the low front-end torque like someone mentioned above, but it doesn't feel like a powerful car to me. I haven't driven an SS, but I'm sure it feels much more powerful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtrofablock View Post
I love my 6!!!!!!!BUT, U shulda hada v8!!! If i couldve i wouldve!!!!! and Ive drove 6s an 8s! Even test drove a v8 m6 with aftermarket exhaust!!!!!! V8 if u can! No disrespect 2 the 6 or owners! I am one!
'Nuff said...

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP

Closed Thread