Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #141
31BZ06

Drives: CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
It's better if you have both, the bike being an HD of course.
And not a Sportster, in less than a year you'll be wishing you'd have gotten a Big-Twin so you can hang with the real bikes.
Sort of the same thing as comparing the 6 with an SS, that you can buy for in the low $30s, same as a loaded 6.
That's what I meant, purchase the V6 AND a bike. I have a lowly V6 and a CBR600RR for the fun, my Camaro just looks good and rides nice.

I can't think of any vehicle that can actually compare to a bike - V6 or V8.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #142
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
When did the number of cylinders become the performance measure - shouldn't it be performance/cost. Just sayin...

Seems the thread has spiraled into its inevitable crushing end with v8 vs v6 conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
^ won't happen, the Vette will stay V8... we also heard the C7 was going to be a mid engine 4-liter twin-turbo V8 that revs to 12k or so.......

shot down
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #143
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub76 View Post
i got the 2SS. the v6 was not even an option for me. if i couldn't afford the v8 i would not bought a camaro at all. imo these cars should not even come with V6's. how silly would it be for a corvette to have a V6 option?? want a v6, get malibu or impalla or monte carlo if you wanna be "practicle".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
^ won't happen, the Vette will stay V8... we also heard the C7 was going to be a mid engine 4-liter twin-turbo V8 that revs to 12k or so.......

shot down
Because GM has never put a 6 in the Vette (except for the Blue Flame but what are facts to these type of discussions).
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #144
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
No one, I mean NO ONE HERE, ever mentions the "spare tire". If you want to drive a car without a spare and wait for OnStar to bail you out, that's all fine and dandy. Whaddya do when your 5 years of "Roadside Assistance" is over??? Get the V6 convertible with a SPARE TIRE and don't worry about the rest.
I don't need a spare. True ballers just leave it on the side of the road and buy another one.....

Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #145
darnelhouston

Drives: '10SS, CAI, Resonators delete, Dyno
it's been said. I have a pretty bad ass 2ss. tricked out, tuned etc.... but i still want a zo6 vette. if you get a v6.. aww i'm sorry
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #146
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
No one, I mean NO ONE HERE, ever mentions the "spare tire". If you want to drive a car without a spare and wait for OnStar to bail you out, that's all fine and dandy. Whaddya do when your 5 years of "Roadside Assistance" is over??? Get the V6 convertible with a SPARE TIRE and don't worry about the rest.
My SS convertible has a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryman77 View Post
sorry to burst your bubble, but the next gen Corvette may very well be coming with a V6 as the standard engine & the V8 as an option...just saying
LOL, you could not be more wrong.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #147
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Ugh, I'm getting so tired of reading this nonsense. Sure the v6 is plenty of car for a dd, hell, so is a 4 banger. Why do some people think that just because it is a big v8 that it is only useful on a track?? Try pulling onto a freeway with traffic doing 70+mph and tell me that you didn't pucker a bit while waiting for the 6 to get you up to speed in time to avoid getting slammed by a big rig. I know I did when I did the test drive.

The difference in mileage is nearly negligible, the difference in the cost between filling with regular vs. premium fuel is nearly negligible, the difference in insurance/tires/etc, etc is.... well you get the idea.

People keep using the word "practical" to describe the v6. Seriously? Same chassis, less power. How is that more practical? they both haul the same amount of cargo and passengers. Here's some food for thought: In a road trip scenario, with the trunk loaded with suitcases, the back seat filled with miscellaneous easy reach items and driver and passenger, what engine do you think will have to work harder to keep pace in traffic? What do you think that means for the fuel economy?

As an example, when I met my wife she had a Kia Rio. 1.5l 4 banger. It was amazing on gas. Very "practical". Until you put anything in the hatch. One summer we went camping and loaded up the car with a week's worth of gear. I had to keep it to the floor just to hold 60 going up a hill. Passing was out of the question. I really wished it had at least a 6 in it during that trip. We sold it a few months later just because of that trip.

And yes, bragging rights do come into the equation. These are iconic pony cars afterall. Nobody remembers or gives a shit about 6cyl Camaros or Mustangs or Chargers from back in the day. The purpose of these cars (pony cars) is giving the customer the most bang for the buck when it comes to power. For only a few K more than the 6, you can get the best bang for the buck in the segment. Hell, a 1SS can be had for the same or less than a 2LT.

Of course, it comes down to what one can afford and their personal preference, but if you do go with the 6, don't do it because you think it will get incredible mileage, or be substantially cheaper to run. Get it because it fits your buying budget and your lifestyle.

Hyperbole much? The V6 would never under any circumstance have issues merging onto the freeway at any speed. C'mon really?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #148
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post

Where did you get your spare?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #149
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
I've been driving V8s all my life, and would never change it. Been paying to fill up since I was a kid, used to the added expense (but to me it's not, it's the only thing I've known)...I'd never give up the power...That's like buying a Harley 883 Sportster, who does that...a chick?

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #150
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I guess everyone must drive on a racetrack everyday to get groceries, go to work, etc. The V6 (especially w/mods) is plenty of car for daily driving needs. I never even thought about the whole V6 vs V8 thing until I joined this forum and discovered that there are an awful lot of insecure people out there. The only time I can really let my V6 rip is when I'm on the freeway and no one else is around, and even then, it's for a very short period of time. If you want the V8, you might as well go for it, but from a practical standpoint, it's overkill for a daily driver. Unless everyone really is using their V8 to it's full potential everyday on the streets, then it's more about bragging rights than anything else. Now if you want a track car, then sure, the V8 is the natural choice.
i guess some people just don't understand. most people who buy performance cars for everyday cars do it because its what they like,and the idea behind it. bragging right is also one. you think the rich guy with a lambo is taking it to the track? lol no...

one of my friends drives a V10 m5 everyday getting 10MPG, my uncle drives a m6 everyday also, and all he cares about is just hearing that v10 when driving, and the smile it brings to his face. GM made the camaro v6 and v8 for everyday use not the track.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 AM   #151
zeke38

Drives: 2006 chevy 2500 lbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post

That is an ugly a$$ spare lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #152
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDuggery View Post
Here's my take on the whole V6 vs V8 thing. I wanted a new Camaro. I'm married and have a young kid. I really wanted a new Camaro. I figured it was out of my budget to get one. I thought it would be nice to have a fully loaded SS but damn, almost 40 grand. I went by the dealer one day and they had two black Camaros sitting next to each other. One was a black 2SS RS sticker price was like 39K and some change and the other was a black LS M6 sticker price 23K and some change. At first glance they looked an awful lot like the same car. Figured I could probably afford the LS. Thought to myself "Slap some of those awesome 20" wheels on it and I'd be happy." So that's what I did. And basically I am very happy! There is always that voice in my head that says I wish I had the V8. But I really can't justify the cost difference($16K ) for what I would be gaining, more power and bigger sound. If I wanna go fast I can always hop on my Honda ST1100 Sport Touring bike, plenty fast. I've had V8 cars in the past and honestly my LS Camaro is quicker than my '85 Monte Carlo SS was, and a heck of a lot sportier too. So I remind myself often how cool it is to have my Camaro. And I really don't like the front fascia on the SS, actually hate the mail slot and the mismatched upper and lower grills. I like the egg crate grill better than the Heritage one that actually does match the lower SS grill. Dont' like leather seats or the maintenance that comes with them.( I know thats not just a V8 option)
Glad I don't have the Brembo brakes that, from what I've read, tend to squeek and make alot of brake dust. Yes I really like the look of my LS better than that of the SS. I like the feel of the ride and the handling of the car. I like everything about it. I baby the hell out of it and plan to have it for many years to come. So like it's been said, you really can't go wrong which ever Camaro you choose.
I don't get it. People here buy the sixbanger and then start spending money modifying it for more power or putting the SS wheels on it. What is the point of that? Does it not make more sense to just bite the bullet and start with the V-8? I have a 1SS, A6, polished wheels, Boston accoustics and gauge 4 pack, it cost me $33,000.00 in 2009. When you get the SS, you get more than just a bigger engine, you get Brembo Brakes, 20" wheels, and performance suspension. You also never have to hear yourself or anyone else say to you; (Why did you get the small engine)? To each his own though, I am not putting the sixbanger down, they are nice cars, they just are not V-8s. When I put my foot into it, I want to be thrown back into the seat like only a V-8 can do.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #153
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i guess some people just don't understand. most people who buy performance cars for everyday cars do it because its what they like,and the idea behind it. bragging right is also one. you think the rich guy with a lambo is taking it to the track? lol no...

one of my friends drives a V10 m5 everyday getting 10MPG, my uncle drives a m6 everyday also, and all he cares about is just hearing that v10 when driving, and the smile it brings to his face. GM made the camaro v6 and v8 for everyday use not the track.
I get it. I like hearing my Corsa scream, so I totally get guys who love the V8 sound. It just wasn't worth the extra cash for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
I don't get it. People here buy the sixbanger and then start spending money modifying it for more power or putting the SS wheels on it. What is the point of that? Does it not make more sense to just bite the bullet and start with the V-8? I have a 1SS, A6, polished wheels, Boston accoustics and gauge 4 pack, it cost me $33,000.00 in 2009. When you get the SS, you get more than just a bigger engine, you get Brembo Brakes, 20" wheels, and performance suspension. You also never have to hear yourself or anyone else say to you; (Why did you get the small engine)? To each his own though, I am not putting the sixbanger down, they are nice cars, they just are not V-8s. When I put my foot into it, I want to be thrown back into the seat like only a V-8 can do.
Really? This has been mentioned before. Why does anyone mod? Why buy "just" an SS and mod it when you can get a ZL1? We don't all need a gazillion HP. Personally, I like doing mods myself. It's fun, and I get a little HP/TQ boost at the same time. It's win-win. Too addictive, though:(

Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #154
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
At the time the cost difference between my 2lt and a 2ss @MSRP would have been 7.5k with the extra state sales tax.

Very big gap for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I own a v6. If you are questioning it now, get the v8. I have never heard anyone say they wished they got the v6 after buying the SS. I have heard the other way around...plenty of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
As a V-6 owner. Telling you honestly to go with the SS if you can afford it. If you are worring about power, it will bother you later. I always had V-8's and once I drove the 6 I was very impressed, but over time you get used to the power and start wanting more. The SS is just that much better (power wise). Wish I would have bought the SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post

If I bought a V8 I would have spent nearly the same amount of money for mods for it too.

intake, exhaust, springs, sway bars, cosmetic mods, soon to be wheels and tires, probably even more as Iwould have then gone into a cam and maybe heads.

Closed Thread