Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Painted the mufflers.....

Well, kinda. I like the looks of black painted stock mufflers, so I thought maybe I could get double the pleasure. I used 3M rubberized undercoating. I love the sound of the stock exhaust with headers, but sometimes I'll get a buzzing sound at various rpm. Thinking it was possibly those hidious suitcases GM loves so much, resonating........I got to thinking, if I could somehow insulate the mufflers it might eliminate the buzz and change the tone a bit.
Maybe its just wishful thinking, but I do believe I achieved both. Tone seems a bit deeper and less raspy.
Anyhoo, it was just for shits n giggles........maybe a cheap way to make the stock cans look better and sound better.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Well, kinda. I like the looks of black painted stock mufflers, so I thought maybe I could get double the pleasure. I used 3M rubberized undercoating. I love the sound of the stock exhaust with headers, but sometimes I'll get a buzzing sound at various rpm. Thinking it was possibly those hidious suitcases GM loves so much, resonating........I got to thinking, if I could somehow insulate the mufflers it might eliminate the buzz and change the tone a bit.
Maybe its just wishful thinking, but I do believe I achieved both. Tone seems a bit deeper and less raspy.
Anyhoo, it was just for shits n giggles........maybe a cheap way to make the stock cans look better and sound better.
Will that stuff stick? Was thinking of maybe trying the same thing..(just for looks)...any "prep"?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
Sounds like a good idea!
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Let us know if there are any heat discoloration or flaking, im sure a lot of people will do this, i almost did, then decided to throw them away. Lol
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
If you look at 3M's MSDS sheet... it indicates Autoignition at 470F... it doesn't say what its melting temp is, but looking at similar product from another mfr, its melt point was 232F.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Do the mufflers get hot??? I know that sounds stoopid, but I remember the guy taking my exhaust off was suprised at how it wasn't hot, and that was soon after several miles of driving.
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Nick Boulin

Drives: 2012 1SS 6-speed
The mufflers should never be hot enough to cause instant combustion of the undercoating, but I would bet that it would become quite soft and would even run if you sprayed it thick enough.
Nick Boulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Been on vacation.
Drove it a couple days before I left. No melting, running gooy mess yet. Never really thought heat would be an issue....and so far it has not. Its in the 90's here, so I'll see what a few days of hard driving does. And, let me see if my dumb phone will get a decent pic. I only gave it a quick one coat just to cover. Again, it was just a foolish fun idea, we'll see what happens.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Has anyone tried flat black spray paint? Autozone sells it for $15 and it's good up to 2000 degrees. Good way to hide the cans a bit.