Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #1
Ckmerc

Drives: 2013 zl1
Best Halo-Angel Eyes Options?

Hello!

Been on here since I bought my 2013ZL1 back in April. Some great looking cosmetic mods many of you have done!... Would love to do the red angel eyes/halo main headlights mod.

Have seen some different options...which red angel eyes/halo mod would be the best DIY option based on the experience of the good folks here?

Thanks so much in advance.
Ckmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #2
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
I have Diode Dynamics color changing halos and demon eyes. Each has their own Bluetooth controller so I can change the halo color separate from the demon eyes via their app on my phone.

Name:  2022-05-22_DSC1630-1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  459.5 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:05 PM   #3
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I have Diode Dynamics color changing halos and demon eyes. Each has their own Bluetooth controller so I can change the halo color separate from the demon eyes via their app on my phone.

Attachment 1134754

OK..that looks amazing....thank you. will look at them. Fairly straight forward DIY?

apologies..just so I understand...the below is all I would need from Diode Dynamics?

- 2012-2015 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Multicolor LED Boards
- sealent
- controler

i.e. so there is no LED strip I need to place around the light...the above would turn my factory lights into various Angel eyes colors?

Please let me know if I am missing something...
Old 08-24-2023, 10:12 PM   #4
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmerc View Post
OK..that looks amazing....thank you. will look at them. Fairly straight forward DIY?

apologies..just so I understand...the below is all I would need from Diode Dynamics?

- 2012-2015 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Multicolor LED Boards
- sealent
- controler

i.e. so there is no LED strip I need to place around the light...the above would turn my factory lights into various Angel eyes colors?

Please let me know if I am missing something...
Yes, it's a pretty straight-forward DIY. The toughest part is opening up the headlights. I made a couple posts about the install in my build thread:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=23
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=42

The three items you listed are correct, just know that the demon eyes are a separate kit. If you get both the halos and the demon eyes, they could be used with one Bluetooth controller, but the lights would all be the same. If you get a second controller, then you could change the colors/patterns separately (that's how I have orange halos with green demon eyes).

The wiring was very easy, but if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Yes, it's a pretty straight-forward DIY. The toughest part is opening up the headlights. I made a couple posts about the install in my build thread:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=23
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=42

The three items you listed are correct, just know that the demon eyes are a separate kit. If you get both the halos and the demon eyes, they could be used with one Bluetooth controller, but the lights would all be the same. If you get a second controller, then you could change the colors/patterns separately (that's how I have orange halos with green demon eyes).

The wiring was very easy, but if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out.
Thanks sir! Would love to see / ready your halo wiring details!!
Old 08-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #6
Bee

The Bluetooth controller for the halo's gets power from two sources - the parking lights and the factory DRL's, so they always stay on while the car is running (and the e-brake is released). I used T-taps that were supplied with the kit to tie into the wires. However, I also installed a Gen5DiY VA-legal DRL harness, which is designed to keep the DRL's on but shuts them off when the high beams are used (PA has a similar law and didn't want to run the risk of failing a safety inspection). Anyway, instead of tapping into the factory harness, I tied into the Gen5DiY harness instead. I figured if I messed something up, its a lot easier to replace that harness then the one in the front bumper. I just wanted to mention that because the wire colors may be different than yours...which even without the harness they might be different since I have an 2010 SS vs your 2013 ZL1.

Halo’s
Function: To be used as DRL’s and remain on with parking/headlights.
Control: Bluetooth controller mounted on passenger side.
Power Source:
• Bluetooth Controller – Power connected to factory bumper plug
o Red Wire #1 – Dark Blue (DRL’s)
o Red Wire #2 – Brown w/White Stripe (Parking Lights)
• Bluetooth Controller – Ground at horn

Demon Eyes
Function: To come on with parking lights, auto shutoff with headlights turned on (to be prevent overheating)
Control: Bluetooth controller mounted on driver’s side. Blue wire from RBGW driver connected to headlight wire to shutoff Demon Eye when lights are on.
Power Source:
• Bluetooth Controller – Power at fog light harness (Red wire = Parking Light)
• Bluetooth Controller – Ground at horn
• RBGW power cutoff connected to fog light harness (Orange wire = Low beam + remains on with High beam)