Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Vipercar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT/RS
Smile Winter storage?

This is the first time I have asked a question and hope this spot is okay. Apologies if not. I am going to store my girl for the winter and heard that only premium gas has no ethanol added which is better for long term storage as pure gas stores better. Any help on the validity of this statement would be appreciated.
Vipercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Oh lord... I suppose it's end of September so were going to have 100 posts like this...

Honestly you're going to get 1000 different suggestions. Just park it, hookup a battery tender, cover it up and forget about it. DO NOT START IT just to warm it up. The car is totally content bring cold. In the spring, unhook the tender and enjoy. You don't need to put fuel crap in it, you don't need to jack it off the ground, you don't need to wrap it in bubble wrap....

Most important thing is just don't start it unless you're going to drive it and get all the seals and fluids up to temp and moving around. Starting it and letting it sit does more harm than good.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercar View Post
This is the first time I have asked a question and hope this spot is okay. Apologies if not. I am going to store my girl for the winter and heard that only premium gas has no ethanol added which is better for long term storage as pure gas stores better. Any help on the validity of this statement would be appreciated.
I use Sunoco 93 and Stabil in my SS with no problems.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
What!! no bubble wrap ,dammmmm
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Here's a few threads I found by searching posts for 'Winter Storage'
There are quite a few more. You may find your answer here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...winter+storage

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
greenisgood

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,

is it working yet? :(
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I put a battery tender on mine and covered it. I also parked it on some Race Ramps "Flatstopper" to insulate the tires from the concrete floor of the garage. I don't put any additives in the gas. I just put some fresh 93 in it the first time I drive it in the spring.

Some folks suggested putting dryer sheets in it to keep the rodents away. I figured it couldn't hurt and they're cheap, so I did that too.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I put a battery tender on mine and covered it. I also parked it on some Race Ramps "Flatstopper" to insulate the tires from the concrete floor of the garage. I don't put any additives in the gas. I just put some fresh 93 in it the first time I drive it in the spring.

Some folks suggested putting dryer sheets in it to keep the rodents away. I figured it couldn't hurt and they're cheap, so I did that too.
those race ramps are really expensive for what they are.. aren't they?
the flat stoppers are like 250 a pair.. I think on here I found some DIY options that I will track down and try. Think it involved styrofoam. haha
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
those race ramps are really expensive for what they are.. aren't they?
the flat stoppers are like 250 a pair.. I think on here I found some DIY options that I will track down and try. Think it involved styrofoam. haha
They are expensive. I thought they'd actually help with the flat spots. Not.

However, they are light weight, but don't move at all when you go to back up onto them. So, they are easy to use and they do insulate the tires from the cold dry concrete.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have just put some pieces of rubber mat under the tires.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
1CamaroSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,winter's not coming,

is it working yet? :(
Nope! But nice try! In SD its already getting down in the 30's at night and upper 60's during the day. This is the first year I'm NOT looking forward to winter but then again this is the first winter with my Camaro!

Just got out the old jeep and getting her ready for the snow But I will drive the Camaro until the roads are slick then she's in storage.
1CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
storing 3-4 months over winter is not LONG TERM STORAGE. Winter storage is simply seasonal storage. Battery tender, mouse traps, tires fully inflated, cover it and wait for spring...........nothing more.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Vipercar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT/RS
Actually I will be storing it for 7 months, so it is a little longer than normal.
Vipercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Stabil is a must. Mine was'nt done for it's first winter and when I bought the car in April 2010 (car was put on the road June 2009) some injectors got messy and they had to be changed by the dealer who sold me the car. (1,500,00$ worth of pieces)

As for the rest it's up to you. All depends of the climate the car will rest. If dry and garaged without mouses than just inflate the tires to 42 lbs. If there are mouses Fabrick softener in the engine bay, inside the car and into the muffler tips is doing a great job. As for the battery you can disconnect from the trunk and boost the car in spring. But as for my self I just disconnected the positive pole in the engine bay and this kept the computor live and I did'nt have to reset anything when I boosted the battery in spring.

Finally, some very recent and older cars are staying on dealers car lots for months without any care...so we don't need to panic when storing, but a little love is OK.

PS If you disconnect the battery (in the trunk) , don't lock the trunk door...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Starting it and letting it sit does more harm than good.
Unless it's your Daily Driver and you plan on starting it maybe 5 minutes early, or so, before driving it to assist in defrosting the windshield. That's different, and also why it has a remote start in the key fob.