Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Maclain

Drives: 2LT
2LT, 500mi... Dealer put 10w30 in... bad?

Just drove my 2LT off the lot Fri night after waiting 2 months for it. It's Monday, and I have 500mi on it, so I took it to the dealership for oil / trans / differential fluid change....

The dealership put Valvoline 10w30 in it.

I got home and read the manual, and yup.... they say 5w30.

Should I go have it flushed? Changed? Should I not worry about it?

I live in Texas, so summer temperatures get hot, but it still gets down in the 30s in the winter. Is 10w30 going to screw up my A6 engine, due to it's thickness, especially on a new engine?

Please help

Thanks,
Maclain
Maclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
They owe you a free one RIGHT NOW!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Great read

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...ight=viscosity
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Sure is ...........but if the OP put the "wrong" oil in and GM new it and there was an engine problem...They would very likely walk from the warranty.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Sure is ...........but if the OP put the "wrong" oil in and GM new it and there was an engine problem...They would very likely walk from the warranty.
Yea...but he does have a piece of paper with the 10w on it from a dealer correct?

Now if they put in 20w would I be worried. 10w in Texas isn't that bad of an issue. In Michigan or Montana yes.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
dont worry about it. its still a 30 weight oil.

there's not enough of a difference between the 5w and 10w cold starting viscosities to worry about . if you really want to, talk to the dealer and let them know of their mistake. it wont harm your engine. what filter did they put on by chance?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
its not a problem
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Maclain

Thanks for the responses folks. The other discussions I could find here were mostly related to the different brands of 5w30, but I also found the thread where the same thing happened to someone else.

It bothered me enough to take it to a different dealer, who gave me a free oil change, and put non-synthetic 5w30 in. I had him look up the part number for the oil that the V6s come from the factory with, so I'm hoping the service manager is playing straight with me. I must admit, I have lost any trust I might have had in the dealership service departments.

CamaroSpike, I'm not sure which filter.... the invoice says 25177917, filter 1.836. Not sure if those are the dealership's numbers, or GM's part numbers.

Thanks again guys.

-- Maclain
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclain View Post
Thanks for the responses folks. The other discussions I could find here were mostly related to the different brands of 5w30, but I also found the thread where the same thing happened to someone else.

It bothered me enough to take it to a different dealer, who gave me a free oil change, and put non-synthetic 5w30 in. I had him look up the part number for the oil that the V6s come from the factory with, so I'm hoping the service manager is playing straight with me. I must admit, I have lost any trust I might have had in the dealership service departments.

CamaroSpike, I'm not sure which filter.... the invoice says 25177917, filter 1.836. Not sure if those are the dealership's numbers, or GM's part numbers.

Thanks again guys.

-- Maclain
you should have left the synthetic in there. the conventional oil that is put in there from the factory is to help break-in the motor. then swap to synthetic.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Maclain

The first dealership told me the 10w30 they put in was dino oil, not synthetic. I asked them before the first oil change to stay with dino oil, as I was planning on switching to synthetic at 3000 miles. I was planning on changing the oil again at 1500 miles, and at 3000. I'm breaking in the engine under load, like Darin, Motoman, and others say to.

Also had them change my transmission and rear differential fluids. Do you guys think it's worth changing the trans and diff fluids again at 1500 or 3000 miles?

--Mac
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
I'd switch to synthetic at your next change and not worry any more...you are throwing money away. Your diff and trans didn't need to be changed realistically...but its fine if you did it. Don't waste your money on changing it again so soon.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclain View Post
The first dealership told me the 10w30 they put in was dino oil, not synthetic. I asked them before the first oil change to stay with dino oil, as I was planning on switching to synthetic at 3000 miles. I was planning on changing the oil again at 1500 miles, and at 3000. I'm breaking in the engine under load, like Darin, Motoman, and others say to.

Also had them change my transmission and rear differential fluids. Do you guys think it's worth changing the trans and diff fluids again at 1500 or 3000 miles?

--Mac

leave the trans and diff fluids since you've already had them changed.

swap the oil to synthetic at your next change.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Change that oil make the dealer change it out and give you some free oil changes ... it says 5w-30 so thats what i would make sure they put in.
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Maclain

Will do, thanks again guys.

800 miles on it now, but I can't really tell if it's loosening up, or getting faster.

Fun as a bag full of weasels to drive though

-- Maclain