Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #29
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Something you don't appear to have factored into your consideration: You focused on issues you have noticed with the engine, but not the rest of the drive-train. I guaranty that if the engine has been modified, then the clutch, transmission, drive shaft, differential and axles have ALL been subjected to higher stress than the LOW MILES that are attracting you to this car. As other have said---TAKE the MONEY and RUN!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #30
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
The reason to want a car with low mileage is you are more likely to get a car in good shape, with less ware and possibly better resale value. With what you are describing, that's all out of the window.
I would get my money back.

Mine will be 3 years old on Saturday and with 46k drives like new.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #31
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3Jeff View Post
The dealership is acting very accommodating saying theyre gonna fix everything and offer me a 1 year powertrain warranty extension, so I don't want to throw these guys under the bus quite yet. However if I decide to say "sorry, I decided to just go ahead and get my money back" and they try to decline then perhaps I will have to go this route.
Dude , the dealer screw you up once ,shame on them , don't let them do it again
But if you give them that chance ,they will do it and it will be like ,,,,,,you know the rest
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #32
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If they are offering a refund I'd grab it and thank them for letting you have a long "test drive".
Engine has 21,000 miles and the dealer selling you the cars says: "the problem was the valve stem seals and it had cam work and long tube headers and a tune". Who did all that work on it and what were their credentials? Ha, needs valve stem seals at 21,000 miles! Who hastily partially retrofitted it back before it was traded in?
What are the credentials of the person at the selling dealer that will be restoring the engine? Anything the selling dealer says I'd take with a grain of salt. If the Techs at the selling dealer were to say something that would cause you to back out and want a refund I'd imagine their employer would not be very happy with that Tech!
I'd consider it a long test drive and hand the keys back to the dealer, then run to the bank and deposit the refund check.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #33
GetSmart

Drives: 2013 Black SS
From everything you said it sounds like it wouldn't be a good idea to keep the car. Even if they do warranty it and the car needs work, the car will be in the shop for countless number of days and you will be frustrated to no end. After the one year warranty is up and something else happens, you will be out of luck. You should be enjoying your car, not wondering if something else is going to break. If you do decide to keep the car, drive it like you stole it for that one year.
Rotofab CAI, VMAX PTB, Borla S axle-back, Dynatech SuperMaxx 1 7/8" headers/HF cats, No weeds exhaust diverters, Apex air scoop & catch can, Rohana wheels, MPD1 Z-Force Hood, BTR Stage 3 cam, Vitesse Throttle Controller, etc...
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:40 AM   #34
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I'm fairly new to the cam world but I've been reading up a lot. From what I understand, just having the cam installed is a huge hit to longevity of the engine - or at least increased likelihood of parts failing. It's definitely not a deal breaker if the work is documented and even better if you know where the work was done.

In your case, much like everyone else has chimed in - get your refund and find a new SS, preferably without mods. To me, buying used is a roll of the dice anyway, but you're less likely to have issues if the car was a "grocery getter" instead of a hot rod. There's just too much unknown with this one.

On the plus side, welcome to the camaro club!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #35
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
OP: As many others have opined, suggested, recommended and flat out stated "get your money back". I will also suggest to you to get your money back.

This vehicle has issues and a "one year warranty" will be up before you know it. What if problems continue after their initial post-purchase repair to make it right? What if problem persist beyond the one year warranty period? Where is the threshold?

Let go of this particular 5th Gen. There are MANY great ones out there, stock, with low miles and well-cared for. Get your hard-earned money back and buy a more sound SS. Take your time scratching that itch.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #36
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Not so fast....

You're happy with the car, they are agreeing to fix, WITH a 1-year powertrain warranty....car only has 21,000 miles, obtain the previous owner's information (or have them call the previous owner to see if its ok for you to contact), give em a call & see what's up with the motor, I'm sure they can tell you more details on what's going on. It may have been "dumped" because of some internal issue, may have been used for "racing", could have even had a supercharger bolted on & removed prior to trade-in (?). You will at least have some additional info to go on before you bail on the car. No sense dumping a potential good head start on something that may be ok, If there's nothing really too wrong with it (and it's getting fixed anyway).

There may be some REALLY GOOD parts inside - WITH a FREE 1-year powertrain warranty! I would assume you would have some control over what "parts" went back into the motor, if it "broke".
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #37
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Really great to hear there are stepping up and giving you some agreeable options.

If it were me, I'd get my money back and look for one without mods like these, especially since I haven't heard you mention who actually did the build. We all know some performance shops are better than others.

Keep us updated on what you ultimately decide.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #38
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Say goodbye to this car. Get your money back and get one that has NOT been modified. I can't believe the dealer didn't know it. One would have to believe that their service techs know what the hell to look for when taking a trade in. If you want to buy a modified Camaro, then buy one from a private individual who can explain all that has been done. AND THEN, you also take the car to your own mechanic for a good look before the purchase. Me, I'd buy another one from a dealer. There are plenty out there. With the dealer, you at least get the 90 day warranty if you don't want to buy the extended. And for 3 months, you can fully check things out. I'm so glad I bought my used Camaro from a dealer as I had water bag and 5th bow issues that would have cost me big time if not for the dealer's 90 day warranty.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #39
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3Jeff View Post
The dealership is acting very accommodating saying theyre gonna fix everything and offer me a 1 year powertrain warranty extension, so I don't want to throw these guys under the bus quite yet. However if I decide to say "sorry, I decided to just go ahead and get my money back" and they try to decline then perhaps I will have to go this route.
Hi LS3Jeff,

We are glad your dealership is accommodating, however, if we can help out in any way, please feel free to send us a private message as Skillet suggested. We are always here to assist!

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #40

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It looks like modded or previously modded Camaros are becoming more common. Many times threads have talked about quickly demodding to trade in or sell. Probably not all jobs are done correctly. I would even think dealers get lied to about a cars history by the previous owner...

OP, I would make sure the car has passed smog inspection. It may still be "exempt", but unless it passes smog, now or later, you will have a major headache on your hands at some point.

I believe dealerships, even private parties, are responsible for making sure a car is emissions compliant before it can be resold in California. Visual engine mods, modified exhaust, headers, ecu tunes, can all be detected with a proper smog check. If this car of yours is illegal, it may slip through the cracks for now, possibly because it is still exempt, but I would get it documented that the dealership is selling you a legal, emissions compliant car that now, not later, passes a smog test. They are legally responsible for selling you an emissions compliant car....

Blue tail-pipe smoke, bad rings, cam, headers, tune, etc. would be a red flag for passing emissions. Good luck.

Last edited by 90503; 04-27-2016 at 11:13 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Definitely take the money. The dealer will probably make you a very sweet deal on another 5th gen. There are plenty of nice Camaros out there for sale and there is absolutely no reason to gamble on this one. Good luck, but walk away and find another one.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #42
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
Try talking to Becky?

Tags
catch can, introduction, pistons, problem with dealer, valve