Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy View Post
Went to my local muffler shop. Little nervous as I live in podunk iowa. Guy made me real comfortable as he used words like Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, j tubes, etc. he has worked on camaro systems before but I'm the first vert.

Anyways, he said he would do a muffler delete for 80 bucks but wants to know which part, like resonator or what. He suggested listening to youtube clips. I know nothing about this stuff. What do I tell him to do?

This is on my 2012 2SS convertible.

Thanks guys!
Cut out those rear luggage bags! You'll not be disappointed at all! I did it within a month of having my car and it sounded 10 times better. Do it!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
Did you do the muffler and resonater or just the mufflers?
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Did you do the muffler and resonater or just the mufflers?
Just the huge mufflers! I now have headers, no cats and that same setup from there back. Sounds even better now!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
$40k+ car + $80 exhaust mod =
$40k+ car + $350 - $650 exhaust upgrade =
Old 08-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
In all seriousness cut outs are the ones that you can make quiet right? It is important to me that she enjoys the car as well.

Edit: looked at some pics, I don't think those things would fit on a vert
There are some that mount clear in the back. Which would give you the loud then back to quiet at a flip of a switch. It would add more weight though.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I did it the right way- Solo axle back J-pipes.
Great deep sound with no drone.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I did it the right way- Solo axle back J-pipes.
Great deep sound with no drone.
I'm thinking the "drone" on these cars is coming mostly from the stock headers/cats. Here's why(I have an L99): I did have what some people may call drone after deleting my muffler suitcases. It was mostly at low speeds and at high cruising speeds(DOD/AFM was/is a huge factor here!). With my newly installed headers/no cats there is zero "drone" at any steady speed. Yeah it's loud as all get out now but that's what I wanted! Plus I do have the DOD/AFM tuned out and have had it that way before and after my new setup, so I've been through it all so to speak. The only time my exhaust really bothered me was after the muffler delete at low speeds when the DOD/AFM kicked in; the rest was great.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

To clarify, I'm one of those that don't mind what people call drone, I like the sound of a muscle car! The DOD/AFM on the other hand, hate it!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
IowaGuy

Thanks all for input! Today I had the guy delete the resonator and put in an X pipe. Wednesday we are taking off the mufflers and replacing with magnaflow 10416s I'll update on how it sounds. Oh yea, I also ordered a SCT tuner, CAI, scoop, bottle combo from jannety racing. His tune should take care of that pesky AFM.

IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
You will be happy with Ted's tune....and yes, the tune will turn off the AFM. As for drone, if you are sensitive to it, the resonator is is what helps minimize the drone. On the L99's the mufflers have a j-chamber which also helps to kill any drone. So, after removing the resonator, mufflers, and AFM; it will be a whole new game for your ears as to whether or not you will hear any drone. If you do, you can have j-pipes welded in just ahead of your new Magnaflows.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Thanks all for input! Today I had the guy delete the resonator and put in an X pipe. Wednesday we are taking off the mufflers and replacing with magnaflow 10416s I'll update on how it sounds. Oh yea, I also ordered a SCT tuner, CAI, scoop, bottle combo from jannety racing. His tune should take care of that pesky AFM.

The tune is awesome, I have one from Ted as well. The CAI makes a very cool sound on its own! Share a vid if you can and enjoy!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I don't have a tune on my car but I have a very similar setup and I can tell you without any doubt you are going to love it! Hopefully we can catch up at a car show or cruise in somewhere.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
IowaGuy

Those 2 little pipes are valves unique to the convertible L99 SS. They prevent some AFM noise but make wierd noises on their own. They had to go.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #28
IowaGuy