Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #57
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
remember the threads about how little GM makes on each car?
82,000 cars produced, $8000 PROFIT per car is $656 million.
82,000 cars at $34,000 list price is $2.788 billion.
profit is 23%, of course we don't know what the total development cost is, but there should be the money to develop the convertable and Z28 with NO problems.
I'm happy with mine, paid msrp so dealer and GM should be happy, just keep making products that people really want to buy and they can stay in business.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #58
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
This article was just the news I needed to hear! That is such great news to read.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #59
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey99 View Post
Great news but its a shame that American workers cant prosper with jobs producing this wonderful vehicle. Producing an "ALL AMERICAN" car in a foriegn country should be considered an act of treason. Most people could care less but it bothers me.
Global company = global operations = global cars. Basic economics.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #60
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I dont mean to toot my own horn here but...wtf have i been saying all along!?! xD

Back when, i was talking about how much of a huge success the Camaro was and how its the flagship product pulling GM out of its financial crisis...and all i ever got was "its a good car, but its not having that big of an impact" wow thanks, lol...now im going to gloat...cause i never gloat, LOL, so im gonna gloat...^_^...feels good....

As far as the V8 sales go, people realize that a Camaro just isnt a Camaro without a V8 under the hood, and the people that think otherwise are in denial because they bought the V6 to save a few bucks, you have to have the true heart of a Camaro under that skin, Ford guys can buy their V6 Mustangs just to look cool in their sports cars without paying the extra buck but us GM fans know where it counts, looks alone dont cut it in this field, it takes that good ole fashioned 8-valve heart we all know and love =D

Also anyone that doubts a Z/28 will be made is going to be rather
disappointed, ive been saying it since the V8 sales skyrocketed and i'll keep saying it cause im confidant it will pan out, the SS Camaro brought in this much money, a higher-tier V8 would just be waayy too much of an economical opportunity for GM to pass up, even if they are trying to "go green" dont forget their first and foremost allegience is too their customers and the profit, thats what keeps them in business, not the government, so yes the Z/28 will be seen, not as a nastalgic thing but purely as a shot to increase profits that much more...which is a win/win for both of us! =D
Sorry man but, . I hope there are not too many people with that mind set, or the camaro might go away again. Once the "new hotness" of the camaro cools down and stiffer competition from the mustang comes and Fuel prices go back up, The V6 will sell more than the V8. Kudos to GM for makeing the V6 a legit trim level instead of the classical mindset you seem to have, that the V6 should just be a joke or afterthought.

Edit: awesome news that the Camaro is real profitable for GM
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #61
dstairs
Farewell Thor

Drives: 95 Caddy Deville Concours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The thing that sucks about this is that for some reason they are INTENTIONALLY trying to steer people away from the V8 car, by inflating the price. I don't mind them engineering profit into the car, it's the fact they are trying to influence people to buy the V6 model. By your statement they didn't need to do this because they were already expecting it to be the big seller.

It leaves me with the impression that the V6 model was all they really cared about and the V8 was just something they put together to satisfy a handful of "squeaky wheel" purists with their unreasonable throwback mentality.

One could wonder what compromises were put into the design to make the V6 profitable at the expense of V8 performance, given they expected the V6 to be the "bread and butter" and the V8 was just there to appease a few enthusiasts willing to pay extra.

How about now that the competition is improving their desigs that we steer a bit of that extra V8 profit into some exotic lightweight materials and maybe some lights across the dash?

Actually, the word profit seems to make people go crazy, LOL. The amount of profit made should never be the issue to the consumer, what does it matter if the car maker makes or loses money, as long as the price they paid was perceived as a great deal. If it is about making sure the car makers makes less profit, let us all go out and buy Aveo's or the cheapest Kia or Hyundai, they sell those models and barely break even!

No... its not about the profit it is about value to the new owner. Next year when more V6 models start to sell it will all even out. Watch and see, the fans are buying this year, and as those first 100,000 cars are exposed to the public, a lot more LS and LT1 packages will be in demand for people who are not Camaro fans, however, they do like "the look". I think the 7 year wait for a new Camaro model really tilted the market toward the V8 which in a lot of people's mind was a great bargain in the mid $30's Let's face it you can buy an LTZ Impala and pay the same or more than a V8 Camaro.
dstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #62
dstairs
Farewell Thor

Drives: 95 Caddy Deville Concours
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This is good news for GM. Selling better and making more profit than they expected. Win win for them. I'm somewhat surprised at how much they are making on the car. GM makes $8000 - $9000 more per sale than it anticipated? I'm not sure how thats possible unless they were intentionally very conservative or base V6's were to be sold at a loss. I estimated some sales percentages and it simply didn't work out unless a strong majority were LS and extremely few were loaded 2SS. But generally, I thought you expected mid level cars with a few options to take the bulk of sales, not plain Jane base models. Oh well.

Thats what happens when you combine CAFE and cheap gas. And its likely to get worse in the coming years unless fuel prices rise dramatically because there's pretty much no chance that CAFE is going away.
The 8 to 10k more 'made' was total of sale price not profit. The actual additional profit per car was more likely only in the $100's, not $1000,s.
dstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #63
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #64
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstairs View Post
The 8 to 10k more 'made' was total of sale price not profit. The actual additional profit per car was more likely only in the $100's, not $1000,s.
I didn't say profit ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #65
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Great news but its a shame that American workers cant prosper with jobs producing this wonderful vehicle. Producing an "ALL AMERICAN" car in a foriegn country should be considered an act of treason. Most people could care less but it bothers me.
So with your line of thinking i guess i should return my new 2009 Chev Malibu because it was built in Michigan USA !! And for the record our Malibu is a great car , i sent a Thank You letter to the plant and its workers. I have no problem driving an American built GM product. I can't figure out what your problem is....
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #66
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Why are you people complaining about the V8 being overpriced??? How is it that far off from the Mustang GT's price? You're complaining about $1500 more for an extra 100HP? You people are crazy.

GM could've restricted V8 sales to be less than V6 sales like Ford did with the 2005 mustang when they re-designed it. GM did have some restrictions, but that was supposedly because the factory could not produce enough engines, not for CAFE or because they were ignoring the market.

GM has done an awesome job with this car. If you are upset because you didn't have the money to buy the V8 because it was $2K more than it could've been priced at, then you might as well be upset you couldn't afford a BMW 3 series or a Lexus.... I mean seriously, be angry at yourself for not making more money, not GM for pricing the car as it should be for a top of the line model... You'd think the only way some people would be happy is if GM sold the car for a loss just because people would've wanted to pay less for the car...

..not everyone wants a V8, nor do they have your money tree..so quit thinking you're all that.

..and maybe V6 owners now additionally realize what they saved by getting a V6, unlike some of the V8 owners that paid way too much, especially if the 'market adjustment' on top of that?

Last edited by 2010SLVRBULIT; 01-14-2010 at 06:09 PM.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #67
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Like I said, leave the American cars to people who own one. Was I not right about that??? Granted the car is made in canada its still an American brand, I was simply making a point that GM is taking away jobs from Americans while producing an American brand car. Yea, that sucks that you have to drive a Scion now. What a downgrade
Why do you have to break the guys balls?
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #68
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Now thats what im talking about
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #69
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I do not see anything bad about this news... I don't understand why some people always want to make something bad out of something good...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #70
godfathercrc

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Love it keep up the good work
godfathercrc is offline   Reply With Quote