Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #43
john2012camaroSS

Drives: 2012 Black SS
Whether through a friend, relative or whoever GET A PBA CARD. You need to slip the card to the cop in between your drivers License/registration. For the most part i Id say it works 90% of the time.. Unless the cop is a real stickler.
john2012camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #44
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerfan2 View Post
So I went down to San Diego again this weekend with the wife, this time to buy a new truck and I was showing her were the guy pulled me over. We get a few miles past that point and there he is again in the carpool lane with someone pulled over. I was not in the Camaro this time however. Their revenue must have been down last year so they must be trying to start off the new year with a bang or something.
I canít speak for other states, but that is such a terrible misconception. If I write a $186 ticket for speeding the city got $34 and it didnít go back to the police budget. Not once in 21.5 years was I ever asked to write more tickets.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #45
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2012camaroSS View Post
Whether through a friend, relative or whoever GET A PBA CARD. You need to slip the card to the cop in between your drivers License/registration. For the most part i Id say it works 90% of the time.. Unless the cop is a real stickler.
You can buy those on EBay. I heard they work about half the time.
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #46
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
what about the vette?, he got away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
This past summer I received my first ticket in this Camaro. I just finished watching Baby Driver at the movie theater, so I was on a car movie adrenaline rush. Then on my way home a C6 Z06 blew past me doing about a 100. I put the pedal to the floor got up to about 136, He was still pulling and I was so nervous going that fast that I backed off coming near a long sweeping bend on the highway, and I had no idea how fast I was going at that point, but the officer down the road did.

I pulled off the exit right next to him so we both could be off the highway. I forgot it was the Wednesday night tuner meet right off that exit there always is a cop there. He clocked me doing 86 in a 55. I was actually happy, lol. I pulled out my friends PBA card and he wrote me for a seat belt. It was like $90. Needless to say I haven't done that again.
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #47
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I canít speak for other states, but that is such a terrible misconception. If I write a $186 ticket for speeding the city got $34 and it didnít go back to the police budget. Not once in 21.5 years was I ever asked to write more tickets.
Okay. What if one officer writes twice more tickets than another officer. When performance review comes, is it viewed that the officer issuing more tickets works harder or pays more attention to traffic offenders?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #48
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I dunno. I actively try to fight conspiracies, but I'll tell you what, I have been pulled over more times in my Camaro than anything else. I'm always super respectful and I don't weave in and out of traffic or anything, but I've gotten tickets for 76 in a 70 (at 1am) and 64 in a 55 (as I was being passed by someone else) and I am frankly convinced it is the "nice" car or sports / muscle car tax.

I also live in Orlando, where people drive 75 in 55 zones and 80-100 on the turnpike or 528, for reference. I drive pretty tame compared to the hybrids and 4 cylinder economy cars that never / rarely get pulled over. My brother in his V6 4 door Accord never gets tickets and he routinely drives 10mph faster than I do, well, everywhere.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #49
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I dunno. I actively try to fight conspiracies, but I'll tell you what, I have been pulled over more times in my Camaro than anything else. I'm always super respectful and I don't weave in and out of traffic or anything, but I've gotten tickets for 76 in a 70 (at 1am) and 64 in a 55 (as I was being passed by someone else) and I am frankly convinced it is the "nice" car or sports / muscle car tax.

I also live in Orlando, where people drive 75 in 55 zones and 80-100 on the turnpike or 528, for reference. I drive pretty tame compared to the hybrids and 4 cylinder economy cars that never / rarely get pulled over. My brother in his V6 4 door Accord never gets tickets and he routinely drives 10mph faster than I do, well, everywhere.
Can only imagine if your car was red!
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #50
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Okay. What if one officer writes twice more tickets than another officer. When performance review comes, is it viewed that the officer issuing more tickets works harder or pays more attention to traffic offenders?
Nope. In fact numbers of tickets was never used. Even the hint of a ďquotaĒ can get your department in big trouble.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #51
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post

In PA I couldnít even stop you until 11 over just based on speed. Of course there are a million other things, but 6 over? Iíd fight that shit.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #52
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I've only got two experiences. Once was 15 over with a trooper in NC, and honestly I wasn't going much faster than the speed of traffic. However I saw him turn and I knew he was coming for me so I immediately pulled over. I was very polite, and the guy was a dick. I lawyered up and got the ticket dropped.

The second time I was getting on it going to work way early in the AM, and there was a car behind me. I didn't think twice about it, and I walked away from a crown vic cruiser. About a half mile down the road I saw this car barreling towards me, pulled right beside me, and kept pace with me for about 20-30 seconds. I was very confused and then we caught some light and I saw it was a local cop. I never broke the speed limit but I was definitely putting on a show and that I assume was my warning to cool it.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #53
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
From what I understand in Virginia troopers are sticklers, so the maximum I go over is 5, and most of the time I just set the cruise control to the speed limit.

NC cops honestly won't look twice at you unless you're going 10 over, especially in the Charlotte area
Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #54
Jeepplr
Just Empty Every Pocket

Drives: 2010 V6 & 2500HD supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
As a 30yr veteran of law enforcement....I have never written a ticket or made an arrest of someone who didn't deserve it. All we ever ask of people is to be respectful and tell us the truth. Many 100mph + speeders have gone about there merry way. Many teens just cruising and having a good time...maybe smoking a little weed...have found themselves at home in their cozy little beds. All by simply being honest.
Ha! Yes, I have pulled people over just to compliment them on their nice ride.
There are always bad apples....but most cops are fair...and believe me, we don't want the paperwork anymore than you do. Glad your experience was a good one.
I too am just a dumb cop myself.
I am retired from a large Midwest city where I worked in the less than nice areas. I stopped a lot of people for lots of reasons. If the person was not under the influence I had bigger fish to catch. I told folks to slow down and be safe and usually cut then loose.
Be nice, donít insult my intelgence and donít lie there is a good chance if you did not have a record a mile long or warrants, off you would go. I stopped people to get drug dealers and recover stolen vehicles, I did not have time to do traffic enforcement for the sake of traffic enforcement.
Sounds like you and I worked about the same.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #55
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I hear people complain and cry about getting a ticket for "five miles over the limit," or even "one mile over the limit."

Fine, cry and complain... but we all know that 95% of the time, it was because you were actually doing far more than that, and the cop was cool enough to reduce the cited speed. It's happened to me a time or two. Got caught doing 20 over the limit, but he only wrote me for five over... instead of going around outraged that some jerk wrote me for five over, I'm grateful that he gave me a break, and kept my ticket at $200, instead of $800.

Maybe there are actual cases where a cop actually wrote somebody up for just barely exceeding the speed limit. But, I'm guessing that in THOSE cases, it's because at least one of the parties involved in the event was indeed, a complete jerk.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #56
theflea42
938 of 1524

Drives: 2013 Hot wheels edition camaro
I got pulled over for speeding but I was not speeding. I was going through a small rinky dink town, the speed limit is 25. I know this town, hafta go through there a lot, so I set the cruise on 25. The cop was stopped in the lane going the other way. I was curious as to why he was just sitting in the road, so as I drove past, I looked over and we made eye contact. I knew right then and there this was bad! He flipped his lights on, whipped around in the road and gave me a ticket for going 35 in a 25. I kept my cool and did not say anything to the cop. I argued with the magistrate and the cop afterwards, but the only thing I got was to pay the fine and not get any points on my license.
theflea42 is offline   Reply With Quote