Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Stabilitrak

A month ago, my dash lit up with all sorts of red and yellow lights, warning me of issues with ABS, traction control, stability control, and a couple of others (incidentally, no CEL, and my OBD reader did not indicate any error). The DIC told me to, "Service Stabilitrak." And, the car was acting funny: Under certain conditions/ speeds, the brake pedal would lightly pulse, while the sound of the ABS pump activating could be heard, relative to wheel speed.

I tried many of the suggestions found on this forum: I changed the spark plugs, I cleaned the MAF, I gave the battery a time- out. I inspected the car, top, bottom, inside and out, looking for any indication of a problem. I tore the brakes apart, looking for problems. Heck, I even changed the oil... why not?

Next, I spent five or six hours trying to read the output from the Wheel Speed Sensors (WSS) at each wheel, using a multimeter. Results were inconclusive. I went to my local mechanic to ask for advice. That was when I learned that he's got a device that plugs into the OBD port, that is like an OBD reader on steroids: It immediately identified a problem with the rear driver's side wheel. His device indicated a problem with the WSS, but also that there "was likely to be some additional problem."

I started with the WSS... $25, fairly easy to replace.

This CHANGED the problem... the dash warning lights were still activated, but the behavior of the ABS pump changed significantly. Still not correct, but different... telling me that, yes, the WSS had needed replacement (since a new WSS acted much different that the old one did), but that there was, indeed, some additional problem.

I had recently had the hub on that wheel out (I was replacing a broken lug stud). While the hub assembly was in my hand, I had noticed a thin metal ring on the back of the hub. The ring wasn't in great shape, but I thought little of it... figured it was just a spacer or retainer that wasn't pretty, but still appeared to be functional.

A few days later, I was replacing a lug stud on ANOTHER wheel (yes, lug stud breakage is another issue). I noticed this same thin metal ring, but saw a little dirt on it. I brushed the dirt away, but noticed that SOME of the dirt jumped back ONTO the ring, in a pattern! This told me that the ring was magnetized, and in a pattern.

This was when things began to click.

The little ring is called a "tone ring." As the wheel turns, the magnetized pattern runs past the WSS, generating signals that tell the computer how fast the wheel is turning. On my rear hub, that tone ring is not in good shape, thus generating a signal that is confusing to the computer.

I was unable to find any place that sold JUST the tone ring: I ended up purchasing an entire hub assembly (under $200). I installed that new hub, and my problems evaporated!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Well , I learn something new.Thats a lotta work to figure that out.Glad ya got her fixed
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Thanks for posting your experience. Thats some really useful information that could come in handy one day.
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
radar1972

Drives: 2012 IOM SS/RS
OP, you just made life a whole lot easier for the next person that experiences those symptoms. Thanks!
radar1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
2010 SS 2SS M6-Spectre CAI-JET TBS-JBA Shorty Headers-ARH H/F Cats-Doug Thorley axle back-MSD 12v coil harness mod-PAC 1218's-BTR 3/8 7.4 push rods-Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings-Prothane motor mounts-Prothane rear sub-frame inserts-BMR Trailing Arms & bushings-1LE 3.91's-1LE axles-Ford S-spring posi-mod-Tune by RDP dynoSteve!(Woot)-Daily Driver-120K!-12.7 at 112-1.9 60'(3.45's)-BFG Comp-2 Street Tire-stock size on ZL1 reps(20x8.5)(20x9.5)-DR's Nitto NT05R(305/45) on Motegi MT120 18x9.5-12.1 at 114-1.7 60'(3.91's) All work by me...
frankwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Guess it’s time to rip the rear hub apart as I have the same indications on my dash. Thanks for taking the time to provide the info. Where did you purchase your hub assembly?

Thanks,

Aaron