Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #57
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Are the tires new? Or just the rotors?

There have been numerous threads about out of balance rotors, particularly 3rd party rotors.

In general, any imbalance begins to cause a resonant vibration as you approach 60mph, when the wheel rotational frequency is close to the resonant frequency of the mass/spring system comprised of the wheel and strut spring.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #58
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
They just paved the MT road I travel over every day when I bought this Camaro. Its smooth as glass maybe 4 miles long. Every morning going over the MT the Car would shake above 40mph until I'd get over the MT and on to the highway where it seemed to go away. About drove me nuts and at 1st I thought I had a torque convertor going bad. The goodyear sports tire were like new. At 1st like you I was very concerned and had everything checked out, everything ok. Puzzled but as warmer weather came it disappeared completely. Then we got a cold snap and wow it was terrible after the car sat a few days to the point it was ridicules. It was actually thumping up and down loudly. I called the Good year and talked to them about it. All tires flat spot to some degree when the car is not in motion, but low profile performance tires depending on the construction can flat spot bad enough in cold that its really noticeable. Now that its getting cold again below 45f its very noticeable every morning and these Goodyear sports are very very stiff so it does it for quite a distance on a smooth road. If I'm driving on a worn roads like most are around here its not noticeable. Also the frt suspension on mine is extremely stiff which I think exaggerates the effect. When I go on a long trip and its 50 miles till I get on rt80 its dead smooth on rt80.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #59
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
They just paved the MT road I travel over every day when I bought this Camaro. Its smooth as glass maybe 4 miles long. Every morning going over the MT the Car would shake above 40mph until I'd get over the MT and on to the highway where it seemed to go away. About drove me nuts and at 1st I thought I had a torque convertor going bad. The goodyear sports tire were like new. At 1st like you I was very concerned and had everything checked out, everything ok. Puzzled but as warmer weather came it disappeared completely. Then we got a cold snap and wow it was terrible after the car sat a few days to the point it was ridicules. It was actually thumping up and down loudly. I called the Good year and talked to them about it. All tires flat spot to some degree when the car is not in motion, but low profile performance tires depending on the construction can flat spot bad enough in cold that its really noticeable. Now that its getting cold again below 45f its very noticeable every morning and these Goodyear sports are very very stiff so it does it for quite a distance on a smooth road. If I'm driving on a worn roads like most are around here its not noticeable. Also the frt suspension on mine is extremely stiff which I think exaggerates the effect. When I go on a long trip and its 50 miles till I get on rt80 its dead smooth on rt80.

Thanks. Seems very similar to what's happening here.

What gets me though is why would the GM straight up lie in that they swapped the wheels/tires with a stock set... and the issue remained? If anything, I would have ended it there and blamed the wheels/tires instead of hold the car for days telling me they're working on it... unless they were being honest?

Before I spend another 500 on tires, I want to be absolutely sure...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #60
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Are the tires new? Or just the rotors?

There have been numerous threads about out of balance rotors, particularly 3rd party rotors.

In general, any imbalance begins to cause a resonant vibration as you approach 60mph, when the wheel rotational frequency is close to the resonant frequency of the mass/spring system comprised of the wheel and strut spring.

Tires are about 6months old or so - 275/40zr20 Nitto NT555 G2's. Thicker than the old 275/35zr20 Firestone Indy 500 wide ovals. Larger profile.

I recently just did the rotors/pads... but I recall correctly, the issue started before that. I remember asking the 'Brake Masters' if they balanced wheel/tires and they said no...
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #61
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
If you know a shop with a road force balance machine that works and they know how to use it you may find relief having a road force balance done. But finding a shop that knows how to use it and maintains may be tough. The few times I wanted it done the operator was a moron or the machine was beat to hell. The moron operator spilled paint thinner on my wheel while cleaning it to apply the stick on weights then acted like he did nothing. When I pointed it out to the shop owner they got pissed at me and said I'm too fussy. Wasn't worth the trouble of having the rim repaired. Honestly I learned a while back to let things go because the more that other people mess with the car the more headaches. Now I enjoy the bumpy ride because I know its nothing but cold belts in the tires.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #62
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
…..and he's still "worried sick".....and the beat goes on...where's the damn popcorn when ya' need it anyhow??!! Same Bat channel, same Bat time.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #63
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
…..and he's still "worried sick".....and the beat goes on...where's the damn popcorn when ya' need it anyhow??!! Same Bat channel, same Bat time.

Crazy drunks... glad I can keep dog meat entertained...
Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #64
awsm66

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS
I am betting tires too but not that they are bad. My car doesn't like the cold mornings either. It will shake until the tire warms up and is then smooth. However mine is not almost un-drive able like you mention.

Like others have said, I do not see other components fix themselves when its warm but mess up again when cool.

What is your air pressure when cool? The cool weather will decrease the air pressure which makes things worse.

It may be that since the Nitto 555 g2 are summer ultra high performance tires and they are bigger than your others its just going to do it when cold. Again the tires are not "bad" just the way they act in cold weather.

Your Indy wide ovals were smaller and were a W rated touring tire so that is probably why the cooler weather didn't bother them. I am not a tire expert though but just going by experience of what I have seen. My wife's SUV has touring tires and has no problem at all in the cooler weather where my Camaro with Z rated ultra high performance summer tires does. My tires are Continental Extreme contact DWS all season ultra high performance tires (275/40ZR20 as well).

I tried to have them road force balanced but the one place that has the machine didnt know how to operate it because he didnt put the drum that applies force on the tire...I tried to tell him it needed to be on there for the road force part (I watched a video) but he said it didnt and there was no arguing with him. However they balanced out really well as long as its warm.
awsm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #65
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
The first time I drove on my drag tires after letting the car sit outside on a cold evening, I thought the car was falling apart. It thumped and vibrated at any speed. Freaked me out bad enough that I put it on jack stands and looked everything over. Nothing amiss so I went ahead and drove it. As soon as the tires warmed up, the thump and vibration were gone.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #66
Spec
Account Suspended

Thanks all for those who have constructive thoughts and criticism, and that are trying to help. I really appreciate it.

Its one of those things that remain in the back of your mind until fixed. Busy with work right now and need to focus on that. Traveling tomorrow... priorities and such. But my car is there. Gotta get it fixed soon... its a true bond, eh?

Understand cold vs warm air pressure on tires. I've adjusted it to different settings to see if it makes a difference, and it really doesn't.

We have an air compressor for our cars and trucks, for anyone to use at work. I'd be a fool not to use it.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #67
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
Geez dude how can someone be worried sick over a car? It's not like it's a living being so whatever is wrong with it it can be fixed. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a terminal illness.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #68
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Geez dude how can someone be worried sick over a car? It's not like it's a living being so whatever is wrong with it it can be fixed. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a terminal illness.
If you have to ask you will likely never understand. Nothing wrong with that either, just some of us are more emotionally attached to these cars than other people are. I don't judge either way.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #69
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Spec,

I'm in a similar predicament as you, minus the airbag light and dealer trips. I've 'lived' with my vibration for about 2 years now....it's frustrating at times. I definitely believe, in my case anyways, that it is all tire issue.

When the tires are cold, the steering wheel shakes in my hands at 40+mph, but only when I am going straight. Any kind of turning, and the shaking goes away, only to return when the car is straight again. Doesn't seem to be any more pronounced whether I'm braking, accelerating, decelerating, or coasting.

As the tires/car warm up, the shaking goes away. I don't notice any shaking in the summer months, here in NC.

My tires are 315/30R20 and 275/40R20 (Lexani LX Thirty).

-SC

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #70
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
If you have to ask you will likely never understand. Nothing wrong with that either, just some of us are more emotionally attached to these cars than other people are. I don't judge either way.
I sure won't be "worried sick" about it. Might be different if the car was worth $250K or more and the repair would be in the thousands. I like my car just like most people but I sure wouldn't let it bother me like the OP.

For the record my wheel shakes every time I drive my SS, it goes away after a few miles. I have had my balance checked and the wheels are balance fine. I think it's just the way the Pirelli tires are, they seem to get flat spots when sitting for just a couple of days.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote