Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #113
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Wow, AWD has become the new V6 vs V8, auto vs manual.

Sent from my Samsung via Tapatalk.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #114
AlphaLTx
Account Suspended

Drives: C6s, F-bodies, ect
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Wow, AWD has become the new V6 vs V8, auto vs manual.

Sent from my Samsung via Tapatalk.
You're making 730rwtq+.
You, of all people, should value the traction that AWD could provide a STREET car on STREET tires.

Now, add to that equation the cold and wet that people have to deal with outside of YOUR southern climate, and you can see why there is a DEMAND for the OPTION of AWD in 2014.

C'mon, man. We were making more power than we could ever use in our street cars in the early 1990's. Traction was the problem then, and it's still the problem now.
There are no VHT treated highways in the real world and you can't drive around on slicks, especially in the wet and cold.

For my DAILY DRIVEN STREET CAR I'd rather have a 450hp Camaro/Corvette with AWD than a 700rwhp+ RWD car. Especially with the cold and wet roads I have to deal with.
I have seen the take rates when AWD is an option. I'm not alone, The numbers are high, and they are rising.
AlphaLTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #115
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLTx View Post
You're making 730rwtq+.
You, of all people, should value the traction that AWD could provide a STREET car on STREET tires.

Now, add to that equation the cold and wet that people have to deal with outside of YOUR southern climate, and you can see why there is a DEMAND for the OPTION of AWD in 2014.

C'mon, man. We were making more power than we could ever use in our street cars in the early 1990's. Traction was the problem then, and it's still the problem now.
There are no VHT treated highways in the real world and you can't drive around on slicks, especially in the wet and cold.

For my DAILY DRIVEN STREET CAR I'd rather have a 450hp Camaro/Corvette with AWD than a 700rwhp+ RWD car. Especially with the cold and wet roads I have to deal with.
I have seen the take rates when AWD is an option. I'm not alone, The numbers are high, and they are rising.
First of all I used to live right outside Rochester, so NYC wouldn't be that big a deal to me. Second of all, I have a 4x4 truck so I don't have to worry about inclement weather. Finally, I didn't express an opinion about AWD one way or another; I commented on how contentious the topic has become.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #116
AlphaLTx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
First of all I used to live right outside Rochester, so NYC wouldn't be that big a deal to me. Second of all, I have a 4x4 truck so I don't have to worry about inclement weather. Finally, I didn't express an opinion about AWD one way or another; I commented on how contentious the topic has become.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Well, I don't want to drive a piece of shit 4x4 for half the year.
Did the Supercharged Coupe & SUV 2-car combo for years.
I refuse to do it anymore.
I've been driving a G37x sedan through the winters and I will never go back to a shitty 4x4 again.

If I am adding another new car to my collection, I want to be able to drive it year round.
I wanted it to be a C7. But, GM failed to offer a modern drivetrain in the C7 (DCT +AWD), so they will not get my money this generation, and after buying new Corvettes since 1997, I may never buy another new Corvette again.
I am holding out hope that they will have the common sense to give Cadillac both a DCT and AWD in either the ATS-V or CTS-V.

If not, I'm hoping for AT LEAST the OPTION of AWD in a V8 Camaro. I'm even willing to accept the inferior A8 to a DCT, as long as the MSRP makes sense.

If not, I will finally do the unthinkable as a GM fan boy and replace my Corvette with a GTR, Porsche, AMG, or Audi S/RS.
I'm choosing to keep the faith that GM is capable of making intelligent decisions.
Fingers crossed.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #117
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It all adds up to cost benefit ratios. The cost of engineering and production of AWD compared to the number of potential buyers would probably be of no benefit to GM to produce. How many people would actually drive their Corvette or Camaro in bad weather even with AWD? I bet fewer than you would think.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #118
AlphaLTx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
It all adds up to cost benefit ratios. The cost of engineering and production of AWD compared to the number of potential buyers would probably be of no benefit to GM to produce. How many people would actually drive their Corvette or Camaro in bad weather even with AWD? I bet fewer than you would think.
Current sale figures completely disagree with your guess.
The take rate of an AWD option on Camaro/Corvette would shock a lot of people.

An AWD Camaro would be a direct competitor to the G37x.
The current AWD ATS has already completed the AWD engineering. It would be completely foolish for GM not to offer in as an option for the Alpha Camaro.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #119
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
1. AWD adds weight...the Camaro needs more of that.
2. AWD adds $$$$ to the price of of the vehicle.
3. AWD adds $$$$ to the maintenance of the vehicle.
4. A properly equipped RWD vehicle with a sensible driver can perform adequately in most inclement situations.
5. I think GM is satisfied with with their sales performance in regards to "ignoring the targeted customers" ^insert sarcasm. The Camaro and Corvette have been doing very well in the showrooms from what I have read.
6. CAFE numbers certainly is a consideration that can't be overlooked.

Personally, I would never want an AWD or 4x4. It just adds to maintenance and reduces fuel mileage. I grew in a snow belt off Lake Erie and my family never had 4 wheel drive. We drove through some hideous amounts of snow and fared pretty well. Common sense and driving responsibly goes a long way.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #120
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
I beg to differ, and so do the sales numbers.

Since the ATS is already offers AWD as an option, it would be completely foolish for GM not to offer in as an option for the Alpha Camaro.
Start a thread asking if people would pay a $4,000 additional price for AWD on the next gen Camaro, since that is the difference in price from a 2wd to AWD ATS.. I bet you would not get many takers.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #121
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Current sale figures completely disagree with your guess.

The current AWD ATS has already completed the AWD engineering. It would be completely foolish for GM not to offer in as an option for the Alpha Camaro.

To be honest your dreaming. If you would go back and read all the post here since 08, you would find the majority of folks here don't drive their car during the winter or in the rain. It has absolutely nothing to do with 2WD or AWD, they just put their cars on a pedestal because they don't want them dirty. They are all garage queens. The profit and demand just isn't there for a performance car with AWD.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #122
AlphaLTx
Account Suspended

It's a shame that the same stupid posts get regurgitated like vomit, year after year, on forum after forum.
You would think people would pull their heads out of their ass and educate themselves by now.
I guess not.

You anti-PERFORMANCE AWD people need to educate yourselves.
Your can start by googling:
G37x, BMW 335, AMG E63, Porsche Macan, 911 Turbo, Nissan GTR, Audi S4, Audi S6, Audi R8, Gallardo, Huracan, 2015 Q50 Eau Rougue, etc, etc, etc.

Educate yourselves on the specs, the performance, the facts and THEN come back and see me.

Bottom Line:
AWD should be an OPTION.
If you don't want it, don't order it.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #123
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
It's a shame that the same stupid posts get regurgitated like vomit, year after year, on forum after forum.
You would think people would pull their heads out of their ass and educate themselves by now.
I guess not.

You anti-PERFORMANCE AWD people need to educate yourselves.
Your can start by googling:
G37x, BMW 335, AMG E63, Porsche Macan, 911 Turbo, Nissan GTR, Audi S4, Audi S6, Audi R8, Gallardo, Huracan, 2015 Q50 Eau Rougue, etc, etc, etc.

Educate yourselves on the specs, the performance, the facts and THEN come back and see me.

Bottom Line:
AWD should be an OPTION.
If you don't want it, don't order it.
Ohhhh
Attached Images

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 05-09-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #124
AlphaLTx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Start a thread asking if people would pay a $4,000 additional price for AWD on the next gen Camaro, since that is the difference in price from a 2wd to AWD ATS.. I bet you would not get many takers.
Quote:
Ohhhh.... now you have really gone and done it.

You are a prime example of the misinformation spread by the uneducated.

The price difference for the AWD model is $1,880 and NOT $4,000.
Plus, that $1,880 included additional content, so the AWD is actually LESS than the $1,880.

Last I checked, people are paying a lot more than $1,880 for other options on current Camaros.
Spending $1,880 is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an additional 4x4 vehicle and all the added expenses of maintaining and additional car.
Plus, why would I drive a piece of shit 4x4 beater for half the year when I could just ADD a $1,880 option to the $30k++++ car I just bought?

Just another example of how uneducated the anti-AWD crowd is.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #125
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Changing the subject sort of. I would drive an AWD Camaro if it involved a 400+hp motor and a hybrid drivetrain driving the front wheels increasing my gas mileage over 30MPG.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #126
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
Quote:
You are a prime example of the misinformation spread by the uneducated.

The price difference for the AWD model is $1,880 and NOT $4,000.
Plus, that $1,880 included additional content, so the AWD is actually LESS than the $1,880.

Last I checked, people are paying a lot more than $1,880 for other options on current Camaros.
Spending $1,880 is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an additional 4x4 vehicle and all the added expenses of maintaining and additional car.
Plus, why would I drive a piece of shit 4x4 beater for half the year when I could just ADD a $1,880 option to the $30k++++ car I just bought?

Just another example of how uneducated the anti-AWD crowd is.
Please keep it cordial. I happen to think angrybird is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in Camaro5.
31B is offline   Reply With Quote