Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
2019 CTS-Fail

This article from CNBC sums it up perfectly.

"100k glossed over Chevy"
"If you don't care about interiors, this car is perfect for you"

Sadly, it's hard to argue with sales and as long as they continue to sell, then GM shall continue making them.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I absolutely despise the Cadillac "touch" buttons on the radio. Even the late 90s touch buttons were better at registering touch.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Great car interior looks like any other GM product.. Not separating themselves
Old 05-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I don't know what they're talking about. The CTS-V is GM's and the brand's best sedan. It was responsible for restoring respect back to Cadillac, and it put its rivals (especially BMW) on notice that the biggest and the baddest isn't necessarily the costliest.

Cadillac will be (in my opinion) in for some hard times without their example of the finest sedan that GM has to offer.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
This article from CNBC sums it up perfectly.

"100k glossed over Chevy"
"If you don't care about interiors, this car is perfect for you"

Sadly, it's hard to argue with sales and as long as they continue to sell, then GM shall continue making them.
The article was a lot more positive than those two negative quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNBC Auto's
Rating:
Exterior: 4
Interior: 2
Driving Experience: 5
Value: 4.5
Overall: 3.9
Price as tested: $106,180
*Ratings out of 5.

Also, GM has either already ended, or will soon end, production of the CTS-V since the CTS (along with the ATS) is getting replaced with the CT5.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
This is the summary from the article -

The CTS-V offers an extreme amount of performance for the dollar. It’s capable of ferrying five people in relative comfort to 200 mph, a speed some supercars can’t reach. It looks good, handles well and is a ton of fun on the road. It’s totally usable as a daily driver and comfortable to drive.

It’s not the most luxurious or modern option. It doesn’t represent the next big thing or the future of Cadillac. But it’s rolling proof that, when the company wants to build the best performance sedan for the money, it’s capable of accomplishing that mission. We hope that, even as the focus shifts toward SUVs, Cadillac will keep making compelling sedans that make our hearts race.

So how is that a failure?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Because GM is repeatedly hammered for their interiors and never address the issues.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
The Cadillac interior seems pretty nice to me.

But if a person's priorities lie in interior appointments rather than vehicle dynamics they could spend an extra $20-30K and get an M5 or AMG E63.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
lbls1

You have to expect a deficit somewhere if a car maker is offering you a competitive class car for a discounted price. A car that is on the level of an M5 or AMG E63 for thousands less you'd expect it to have concessions somewhere. BTW I'm not all that floored by the Bavarian interiors (they are good), and the Cadillac does a respectable job with providing a luxurious interior (in fact, all of GM's brands have improved in its interiors). However, materials and labor costs money, and if you want the finest grade of leather and stitch count, then expect your Caddy (which already can trounce most sedans in its class) to cost much more than 100k.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:54 AM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Because GM is repeatedly hammered for their interiors and never address the issues.
Be specific, what is inferior about their interior? I look at german cars and I see plenty of plastic in there, so either we are just ignoring that or there's something I'm not seeing, so what is it?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #11
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
I would definitely own one if I could afford to. Tell me in 5 to 10 years how the interior of the BMW/Mercedes looks when the engine in them doesn't work and its costs a small fortune to repair them.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Here are some pictures that someone recently posted of their brand new RS5. I circled the plastic parts. I would absolutely encourage anyone that thinks a certain interior is "far better" to post similar pictures so we can see where the plastic is. I believe people are so far biased in this direction that they can't see the forest for the trees.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #13
lbls1

^That's more plastic than in my Malibu's interior. Shame.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Who said that the problem is the mere use of plastics? In a modern car, most of the interior surface is going to be made up of plastic panels, unless you literally wrap everything in leather or something. I mean, whats the alternative? Sheet metal everywhere? More wood panelling than a 1970s basement? Using plastic isn't the problem.

The complaints regarding the plastic in GM's interiors are generally about the quality of those plastics (surface texture/graining, hard vs soft) and the fitment (gaps, edges). Cadillac also frequently gets dinged for having too many material types in the design of their interior. Glossy plastic and carbon fibre and (faux?) aluminum and hard plastic and soft plastic and smooth plastic and grained plastic and and and. That kind of a mis-mash is generally a sign of poor design and/or cheap execution. Bad design because having too many materials looks like a collection of parts, not a unified design. Cheap execution because they're sticking bad plastic anywhere they think they can get away with it -instead of using higher quality stuff for a little bit more.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote