Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
scv_guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
AGP twin kit install question..

I am switching over from the single Turbonetics kit to the AGP twin kit
Any tips or tricks I should know going into the install?
I have been to the "Snake" pipe is a real pain in the A$$, any help would be great
Attached Images

scv_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Wrap that passenger side trans harness in heat wrap. In the directions it says to tie it up higher from the pass side hot parts. Some go the extra step and wrap it as well.

The snake is the most frustrating part. Just make sure you get the AC lines bent well enough before trying to tackle it. I think it helped me to put the piece that goes over the cross member and the rubber piece connected it to it (one towards rear of car) in from the engine bay and connect the next hard piece towards the plenum from under the car. Also bolt the plenum to the trans housing before connecting anything to it.

I put the manifold and adapter together then bolted the turbo to it after mounting the adapter and manifold. If i could do it again i would bolt the WGs to them before i put them on the car. It gave me fits trying to bolt the WGs to the adapters for some reason. But this was me doing the install by myself.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
It's a real pain in the but to install the "snake". The help I can offer is it will fit(LOL), but it can be time consuming. Take you time and leave the pieces kind of loose until you get them in place. Then be sure to tighten them up afterwards. Be sure to follow the directions and trim the fan shroud as suggested.

Other than that take you time and take breaks if you get frustrated. I was going through the same process last Nov.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
Wrap that passenger side trans harness in heat wrap. In the directions it says to tie it up higher from the pass side hot parts. Some go the extra step and wrap it as well.

The snake is the most frustrating part. Just make sure you get the AC lines bent well enough before trying to tackle it. I think it helped me to put the piece that goes over the cross member and the rubber piece connected it to it (one towards rear of car) in from the engine bay and connect the next hard piece towards the plenum from under the car. Also bolt the plenum to the trans housing before connecting anything to it.

I put the manifold and adapter together then bolted the turbo to it after mounting the adapter and manifold. If i could do it again i would bolt the WGs to them before i put them on the car. It gave me fits trying to bolt the WGs to the adapters for some reason. But this was me doing the install by myself.
Someone suggested I remove the exhaust manifold, install the adapter and turbo then reinstall the manifold?
What are your thoughts?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
You sure can, the manifold, adaptor, and waste gates can easily be bolted all together loosely and bolted to the head. Makes for a heavy set up to do by yourself though. I did it with a jack stand down below.

Plan on loosely installing each turbo once with the housing bolts already loose, then rotate the housing so the discharge lines up best for the plenum and the center section is level. Then tighten at least one bolt on both sides of the compressor, remove the turbo, tighten all the bolts and re install and you will know everything lines up well.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
You sure can, the manifold, adaptor, and waste gates can easily be bolted all together loosely and bolted to the head. Makes for a heavy set up to do by yourself though. I did it with a jack stand down below.

Plan on loosely installing each turbo once with the housing bolts already loose, then rotate the housing so the discharge lines up best for the plenum and the center section is level. Then tighten at least one bolt on both sides of the compressor, remove the turbo, tighten all the bolts and re install and you will know everything lines up well.
Makes sense...
From start to finish how long did the install take?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I suggest leaving the exhaust manifolds on the engine. Use a floor jack and balance the turbo/WG/adpater setup (all bolted together) on it and use the jack to lift the assembly while you guide it. It will be easier to get the studs through the holes on the bottom of the exhaust manifold than to line up the entire assembly next to the block to attach the manifolds to the block. You can still get the heat shields in place after this. Especially if a helper has small hands.

Another suggestion I would make is to get some of the DEI gold reflectatape and put it on the inside of the heat shields (so it faces the exhaust). I did this and had the turbo off and the tape was in good shape so it does work! Heat wrap everything and pull/move lines as far as possible from any heat source.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I suggest leaving the exhaust manifolds on the engine. Use a floor jack and balance the turbo/WG/adpater setup (all bolted together) on it and use the jack to lift the assembly while you guide it. It will be easier to get the studs through the holes on the bottom of the exhaust manifold than to line up the entire assembly next to the block to attach the manifolds to the block. You can still get the heat shields in place after this. Especially if a helper has small hands.

Another suggestion I would make is to get some of the DEI gold reflectatape and put it on the inside of the heat shields (so it faces the exhaust). I did this and had the turbo off and the tape was in good shape so it does work! Heat wrap everything and pull/move lines as far as possible from any heat source.
I will order some heat wrap! I have not received the kit yet should be here Friday! I suspect I will need to order gaskets for the turbo to the adapter. Are the turbos T3 or T4 exhaust housings?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have a LSA so had to switch to LS3 manifolds or machine my LSA manifolds. Either way they needed to come off, but yes if you have a LS3 there probably isn't much point in removing the manifolds.

There's a huge difference in how long it would take to do the turbo kit if you already know how everything goes and your first time. If you take it slow and read the instructions carefully you can likely do it in 16-20 hrs. If you know how to do everything you could probably install it the second time in about 8-10hrs.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
Someone suggested I remove the exhaust manifold, install the adapter and turbo then reinstall the manifold?
What are your thoughts?
That works fine if you have a helper, if not, good luck lifting all that and getting a bolt started lol. You will most likely have to take the turbo back off anyway to get it clocked correctly so no point in struggling with it attached to the manifold trying to get the manifold on the head. I would install the turbo loosely with the compressor bolts loosened up and clock it. Turbine side should be easy to eye up before you install it.

I prefer to take the manifolds off. If you don't there are only 2 nuts to torque down, but makes it to be in an awkward place. Mostly preference though. I am sure you will do what comes easiest, especially if you installed the turbonetics kit.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
I will order some heat wrap! I have not received the kit yet should be here Friday! I suspect I will need to order gaskets for the turbo to the adapter. Are the turbos T3 or T4 exhaust housings?
Did you buy a new or used kit? I am assuming used if you feel you need gaskets. Contact AGP directly and they'll get you squared away with gaskets and any small stuff you might need. I know I have bugged the crap out of Kevin.

I bought a lot of the Vibrant heat wrap in 1/2" and 3/4". It has an adhesive flap that folds over after you install it. Don't worry, you'll tear some of the flaps but you can use zip ties to hold it together. Go to Harbor Freight and get stainless ties. You don't need fancy tools to use the steel ties. A pair of needle nose pliers will work. Clip off the excess and use the pliers to roll the remainder to take out the slack and make it tight.
1/2"
3/4"

Here are some pictures of my wrappings. I no longer have blankets on the turbos but everything else is the same. The blankets made it a pain to get the exhaust on because everything is vbanded.
Attached Images

blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Good luck with your install and I'm looking forward to seeing the results between the kits, for me I lucked out with the snake it actually went in real easy, and also I had the turbo, waste gate and manifold adapter all assembled loosely and raised the whole assemble up, really this kit was very simple to install due to agps great manufacturing
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
scv_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreair1 View Post
Good luck with your install and I'm looking forward to seeing the results between the kits, for me I lucked out with the snake it actually went in real easy
We will see !! The turbonetics kit made 656rwhp @11psi wastegate springs I'm going to setup the AGP the same way to see how it compares.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Looking at your set up I don't think you will have an issue with surpassing that.