Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Not trying to start an argument, guys, but that isn't always true. Depends on the state. In Arkansas, insurance follows the driver, for example (I work for a car wreck lawyer).

I believe you are correct. It works like that in TX and in MN. I had a portion of my life as a P&C Insurance person with Nationwide.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Thought I'd toss this out while on the subject of getting paid for a car. Beware of phony bank checks.

This douche bag (has nothing to do with story, he's just a douche) I know was selling his Dodge Durango. Buyer came and bought it, paid with a bank check. This DB took the check to the local bank and it just happened to be on a Saturday right before they closed. So all he could do was run it past the teller at the drive-through to see if it was legit. Apparently the teller said it looks OK, so he goes ahead and signs the title over to the buyer.

So on Monday the DB takes the check back to the bank to deposit it, and the teller asks him to wait a minute. A few minutes later the local PD pulls up. The PD starts drilling him about where he got the check. Apparently it was forged. Long story short the lucky bastard got his Durango back after the buyer sold it to a lady in Indiana that when she tried to get it titled it came up as stolen. This was like two months later.

So always ask for cash or take the time to go to the bank with the buyer and make sure the funds are legit.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #31
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
It isn't an unrealistic request at all but just be prepared that it may take you longer to sell your car. It is your car, your conditions who gets to drive it, period. I privately sold 4 of my cars just in the past 2 years, let all the prospective buyers test drive with me in the passenger seat, except for one who just didn't look or talk like someone who can afford a nice car. Having a conversation with them and listening to them can pretty much tell you a lot about their sincerity and ability.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #32
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Not trying to start an argument, guys, but that isn't always true. Depends on the state. In Arkansas, insurance follows the driver, for example (I work for a car wreck lawyer).
Yeah, sorry should know better to quote anything outside of IL. Here it follows the car if you have State Farm
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #33
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
You drive it... they ride shotgun, one time around the block.. Check please...
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #34
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
papabear, your request is absolutely reasonable. If he can buy 5 like he claims, why is he buying used and not new?

He's full of it and probably just wanted to joyride.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Needs to be some level of trust between both parties, and your request removes that all together.

Understand your point thou, suggest you (THE SELLER) make an appt and take him for a ride YOU DRIVING to a local delaer let him test drive the same car...

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
It isn't an unrealistic request at all but just be prepared that it may take you longer to sell your car. It is your car, your conditions who gets to drive it, period. I privately sold 4 of my cars just in the past 2 years, let all the prospective buyers test drive with me in the passenger seat, except for one who just didn't look or talk like someone who can afford a nice car. Having a conversation with them and listening to them can pretty much tell you a lot about their sincerity and ability.
My advice to someone who has never sold a car private party, is to just trade it in. If your too trusting or not too street savee or inexperienced at it,(unlike the gentleman above), it's not worth the risk, and there is a lot of risk as stated earlier, everyting from fraud, bad checks, accidents, to out-right theft.
Just be careful selling private party, sometimes taking a little less and avoiding the hassle is a good option.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Cash, Grass, or Ass...... Nobody rides for free
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #38
invaderzim

Drives: 45th SS, '12 ducati 1199 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izach26 View Post
Needs to be some level of trust between both parties, and your request removes that all together.

Understand your point thou, suggest you (THE SELLER) make an appt and take him for a ride YOU DRIVING to a local delaer let him test drive the same car...
actually, you going up to a stranger and expecting them to just let you drive their car is what breaks the level of trust from the get-go. you have to be an adult and realize how things work. I've had friends ask to borrow my car for a hot date or whatever and without me even asking they OFFER to put down my deductable amount as a "security deposit". it makes both parties more comfortable. the owner knows he's covered and the borrowers also knows he's covered if he makes a mistake, as all humans make all the time, because he has an agreement in place.
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #39
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
If it's my bike? LMFAO NO WAY...too many idiots out there.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #40
onechuck
Onechuck

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
I don't think this is unreasonable at all. Tell him you will take him for a ride but he is not to drive because he is not on your insurance.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I've sold cars privately before and the only people that I would have ever let drive them would have been when a friend or family member was looking at buying one of them and most of them didn't ask to because they already knew the car.

Tell the guy to pound sand if he doesn't like it. That's why I take it up the old bung hole and trade them in anymore. It's too much of a pain.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #42
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's why I take it up the old bung hole.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote