Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
soulsea

Drives: Fast
Z28 Headlamps

Hi,

First post so my apologies if this has been addressed before ... I did do a search and could not locate an answer.

Are the Z28 headlamps the same as the base Camaro? If not, is there an aftermarket OEM clone option for them from the likes of TYC/Depo/etc?

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Z28 in the next few days but the first mod I would do is a proper projector retrofit and I would need a set of aftermarket clones for it.

I understand that there's a weight savings reason GM din't use HIDs on the Z28, but since that's the only weight I plan to add to the car I'm hoping it won't make much of a difference ... i could always stand to lose a few pounds to make it up anyway.

Thanks a bunch.
soulsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
I would also make sure the wiring is set up to run HIDs. You can blow fuses if you retrofit without making sure the wiring works.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
I would also make sure the wiring is set up to run HIDs. You can blow fuses if you retrofit without making sure the wiring works.
I would run a dedicated harness with its own fuses, but yes that's a valid point for any retrofit.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I would run a dedicated harness with its own fuses, but yes that's a valid point for any retrofit.
Now thats not to say it won't. Heck, I used to run HIDs in my foglights of my Genesis coupe and didn't run into any issues. So you might be ok.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Hi,

First post so my apologies if this has been addressed before ... I did do a search and could not locate an answer.

Are the Z28 headlamps the same as the base Camaro? If not, is there an aftermarket OEM clone option for them from the likes of TYC/Depo/etc?

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Z28 in the next few days but the first mod I would do is a proper projector retrofit and I would need a set of aftermarket clones for it.

I understand that there's a weight savings reason GM din't use HIDs on the Z28, but since that's the only weight I plan to add to the car I'm hoping it won't make much of a difference ... i could always stand to lose a few pounds to make it up anyway.

Thanks a bunch.
If you want all the fancy stuff, get the ZL1. No need for any of the ad ons, the car was made light for a reason... It's a track car. Remember in the end, a stock car is worth more than a modded car.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
HID takes less amps than incandescent lights.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks a bunch.
Yes there the same as the LS car's headlights, and you can add the RS headlight in to the car and you will add 3 LB to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
HID takes less amps than incandescent lights.
+1 on this.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Yes there the same as the LS car's headlights, and you can add the RS headlight in to the car and you will add 3 LB to the car..
Did you ever decide on doing this to yours Ofer?
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Next week we have some time to work on cars, will try to work on # 82 some.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
soulsea

Just reviving this thread to try and get some clarity ...

If I decided not to go the retrofit route and just bought a set of oem hid housings like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Camaro-...574142&vxp=mtr does anyone know if these will plug and play, or are the harnesses incompatible?

Similar question in regards to the tails ... if one were to purchase these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Chevrol...c85bbd&vxp=mtr would they plug and play with the existing harness or is the socket different, or does it lead to hyperflash?

Still undecided if I'm going to do either of these mods but I just want to know if I even can before thinking about it further.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:

If I decided not to go the retrofit route and just bought a set of oem hid housings like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Camaro-...574142&vxp=mtr does anyone know if these will plug and play, or are the harnesses incompatible?

Similar question in regards to the tails ... if one were to purchase these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Chevrol...c85bbd&vxp=mtr would they plug and play with the existing harness or is the socket different, or does it lead to hyperflash?

Still undecided if I'm going to do either of these mods but I just want to know if I even can before thinking about it further.

Thanks.
You need the harness from gen5diy.com Plug and play after that

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
You need the harness from gen5diy.com Plug and play after that
Thanks ZL1 Spoked ... I assume you are referring to the headlamps not the tails?

Thanks again
Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:

The connecters are the same, and the light may work, but no wires in your car to power the LED's and they will be on in the day time too.

On this the plugs are not the same, your going from a 4 pin to a 2X5 pin, and you need to divide the turn/brake in to 2 wires so the lights work right.

Thanks.

Last it can be done, and as of this weekend will be done.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
soulsea

Thanks 2SSRS@Gen5diy ... I'm actually looking at your site now.

So does this mean if I get one of these packages with the harness everything will work like oem or is the halo issue going to be the same: http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...eadlights-2014

Also, I presume the refurbished package includes the ballasts right?

Last edited by soulsea; 11-11-2014 at 09:47 AM.