Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #57
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Compare a Wii to a Car? Seen the price difference those lately?
ROFL! I was thinking the same thing, Ming.
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
Old 07-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #58
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlChev View Post
Hidden mark ups? Why is the dealer the bad guy? I didn't know that there was anything wrong with trying to make money.

I guess all the people that sold Wii's and Xbox360's on ebay are the devil too? If you are going to be mad at anyone, be mad at the people who can afford to pay a premium for a premium vehicle.
Dunk hit it on the head. No one said the dealer is the 'bad guy' or 'the devil'. But just as the dealer wants to make money, we want to save money.

If GM told your dealership that they now sell cars to distributors instead of directly to dealerships and one distributor sold you the cars at $50 over invoice and one dealership told you that you'd get the cars at $5000 over invoice, which would the dealership choose? We're just doing the exact same thing that a dealership would.

I'm sure you'll find people who will pay the $5k premium, but don't expect to be treated like a hero when you try to justify it with 'supply and demand' and 'the dealership just wants to make money'. Consumers vote with our dollars. The people who don't know any better or who have money to spare will pay a premium -- the smart consumers won't.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #59
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
If I walked into a dealership and saw a "Market Value" add-on...I'd say to the salesman, "I can see we are already on WAY different wavelengths, Have a nice day." Then, drive up and honk the horn with the $5000 in my pocket

(I did this actually)

I previously owned a 350Z. The first dealership I went to wouldn't even let me test drive it unless I signed a paper stating that I would purchase.

I laughed at him, went down the street...bought one on the spot after my test drive and drove back the next day (he was standing outside...in the same spot he was the previous day) and said, "Maybe the test drive wouldn't have been a bad idea afterall?"
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #60
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
If you don't want to pay a dealer's mark up go somewhere else. When I bought my G8 GT in April I paid a $1500 mark up on it. I wanted the vehicle, they had the only one in the color I wanted in the area with the exception of one dealer that had a $8,000 mark up on theirs.

I don't feel like I was ripped off at all. The G8 GT is a "limited availability" vehicle for it's first year, and I love it, so I paid it. No problem.

HOWEVER...I would NOT have paid a mark up of $5k.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #61
Ming

Drives: 2005 Scion Tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthman View Post
If you don't want to pay a dealer's mark up go somewhere else.
I think the general consensus is that, we will!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #62
Garrett114

Drives: 2002 Camaro 6sp 35thLE
The dealership I work at is in the top 20 in the country. We do not charge over sticker for anything including the 5 ZR-1's we have sold. We do not have hidden fees are prep charges. This is how a dealership should work. My dealership is not in a big town and stays in the top ten dealerships in the country alot because of this fact.
2002 C5 Coupe Procharged 9# H/C all bolt ons 2800 VIG RPM A4 DTE 3:42
2002 Camaro 35TH 6sp
Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #63
B2E2RUN
Beer Run

Drives: '14 Sierra SLT All-Terrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett114 View Post
The dealership I work at is in the top 20 in the country. We do not charge over sticker for anything including the 5 ZR-1's we have sold. We do not have hidden fees are prep charges. This is how a dealership should work. My dealership is not in a big town and stays in the top ten dealerships in the country alot because of this fact.
10 or 20?! LOL
Old 07-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #64
Dunk31
Instigator

Drives: 93 Z28, 70 Chevelle SS 97 Expo
Location: Kandahar, Afghanistan/St. Louis will always be home though.
I believe we're all here for several reasons. The love of the Camaro, to meet other fans of the Camaro, to share what we know/believe about the Camaro, but also because we are smart consumers. I think that we as a whole have shown to communicate well enough with each other that when we find a dealership not putting a premium price on their vehicles (limited supply vehicles included, hint hint) that these dealerships will be the ones floating around the threads. Everyone will be praising these dealerships and promoting them. They will be the one's receiving our repeat business. Those paying, say 5k over invoice/MSRP whatever will be the one's pissed off and looking for a new dealership to take their buisness to the next time they decide to make a new car purchase. And guess where they'll go... Like I said we communicate well enough that they'll know who's happy with what they spent and who's not. IMHO

-DUNK-
Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #65
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk31 View Post
I believe we're all here for several reasons. The love of the Camaro, to meet other fans of the Camaro, to share what we know/believe about the Camaro, but also because we are smart consumers.
I'm just here for the free donuts.

1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #66
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I'm just here for the free donuts.

Darn it! I always miss the free donuts when I come here!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #67
KarlChev

Drives: Silverado 1500
Wow, this thread has taken a major turn in the wrong direction.

The dealership that I work at has built its reputation by making sure that we take care of our customers. We are a top 10 Chevy dealer, and have led the Nation the last 3 years in pre-owned GM Certified vehicles sold. That doesn't happen by accident. Yes people do spend more money at times to do business here, but they know our reputation and know that they will be very well taken care of. We have over 2000 vehicles on 32 acres. Our owner just received a key to the city. We are far from the enemy.

Bottom line is this: V6 and "normal" V8's will not be sold for over sticker. I have no concrete information about what type of market adjustment would be made, if any, on limited availablilty (don't even know if there will be anything). I do know that when we have had limited edition vehicles (Indy Pace Cars, 427 badged Z06, and ZR1's) that we have "asked" for more than MSRP. Do we always get it? NO! Is there anything wrong with asking for it? Not in my opinion.

As far as allotments go. If we are allotted 50, and we have a list of 75, then the 1st 50 people with deposits have the 1st shot to buy a vehicle. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #68
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlChev View Post
Wow, this thread has taken a major turn in the wrong direction.

The dealership that I work at has built its reputation by making sure that we take care of our customers. We are a top 10 Chevy dealer, and have led the Nation the last 3 years in pre-owned GM Certified vehicles sold. That doesn't happen by accident. Yes people do spend more money at times to do business here, but they know our reputation and know that they will be very well taken care of. We have over 2000 vehicles on 32 acres. Our owner just received a key to the city. We are far from the enemy.

Bottom line is this: V6 and "normal" V8's will not be sold for over sticker. I have no concrete information about what type of market adjustment would be made, if any, on limited availablilty (don't even know if there will be anything). I do know that when we have had limited edition vehicles (Indy Pace Cars, 427 badged Z06, and ZR1's) that we have "asked" for more than MSRP. Do we always get it? NO! Is there anything wrong with asking for it? Not in my opinion.

As far as allotments go. If we are allotted 50, and we have a list of 75, then the 1st 50 people with deposits have the 1st shot to buy a vehicle. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that.
Because #51 figures they don't have to look anymore. It's a waste of that person's time.

Also, taking a deposit for a vehicle that you don't have seems like you're selling on a chance. How about this...you give me $1000...for a Lamborghini. When it comes in, I'll call you. If it never comes in, now I have your $1000 when you could've had it in the bank collecting the interest or taking it somewhere else that actually HAS the vehicle in house.

Why not just take an email address or information from everybody that comes in asking...when you find out how many you are being allocated...call the first people that came in. If they've decided against the purchase...move on to the next person.

I just don't understand the need to "hold money" when you don't even know if you'll get the product to begin with.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #69
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I think we can all agree the Camaro is being reborn under some murky skies. GM stock is at a record low, there's talk about divisions merging/closing/selling, oil prices, and meeting CAFE in the future. If dealers all over, every single one of the over 4,000 Chevy dealers in the country, wanted to help GM, help us, and help everyone else ensure the solid foundation for a long life for Camaro, sales must be strong. Slapping a markup - ANY markup - on ANY Camaro, no matter how limited it's production may be, only slows the sales. While the dealer will wait untill someone is willing to pay the exhorbitant fees (a penny over MSRP is exhorbitant), they could have sold that same Camaro for sticker or under to numerous people who decided they won't pay and feel it's not worth the hassle to get it under MSRP.

We ALL want the Camaro to survive healthy for years to come, and not be just a one or two generation model and be finished again.

Could some of you dealers just put that in to perspective and think is it really worth the hassle, negative feedback, and slower sales that comes with holding out for a few extra bucks in your pocket?

Last edited by fastball; 07-12-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #70
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I never said mark up.

Closed Thread