Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Rickmaff

Drives: 2011 1LT M6
Need header/cut out input.

So I recently found out that I don't need to have CATS in my car so I've decided to go with OBX Headers on my car. I was also looking at getting the QTP Electric cut outs since I'll be saving some cash on the headers.

The question is how much of this project can I do on my own without owning a welder? I know I can do the headers in a day with a buddy and a case of beer, but how much work goes into the cut outs themselves? Would I be better off saving a little more cash and just having them professionally installed and then having the whole system welded?

Also, what kind of power gain do you get from having the cut outs? The primary reason I am getting them is for the on/off bada** sound but any gains to be had are welcomed!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Rickmaff

Bueller? Bueller...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The OBX LT's will give you a power bump, but to the best of my knowledge the cut-outs are just noise. No power claims.

If you put the cut-outs in a bad spot, the resulting vibration can result in the knock sensors interpreting the vibration as "knock" and retard engine ignition and cost you power!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Rickmaff

Good to know. The more I think about it I might just put the extra from the cut outs towards an IM isolator and a little principle payment
Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Camaros To The Max
AKA...Grim Reaper

Drives: 2010 2 LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
The OBX LT's will give you a power bump, but to the best of my knowledge the cut-outs are just noise. No power claims.

If you put the cut-outs in a bad spot, the resulting vibration can result in the knock sensors interpreting the vibration as "knock" and retard engine ignition and cost you power!
wrong! I put the QTP electric cutouts on mine and gained 12 HP and 4 TRQ. Run them on the dyno once opened and once closed. Less air restriction equals more HP. Have them profestionally installed. Need a good welder for this job.
Camaros To The Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Rickmaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaros To The Max View Post
wrong! I put the QTP electric cutouts on mine and gained 12 HP and 4 TRQ. Run them on the dyno once opened and once closed. Less air restriction equals more HP. Have them profestionally installed. Need a good welder for this job.
I figured there would be minimal gains to be had considering it's a N/A motor. How much would you recommend the cut outs to someone who really wants the deep deep sound? I don't want it to just sound raspy but I've heard so nasty (in a good way) sound come out of this mod!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Maniature

Drives: Camaro 2010 1LT
GET EM

if u got $$$$ get the noweeds better quality.
but here is my setup: QTP + DT SHORTIES + GHOST CAM = BEAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=e_zWwBga0oQ
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Camaros To The Max
AKA...Grim Reaper

Drives: 2010 2 LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmaff View Post
I figured there would be minimal gains to be had considering it's a N/A motor. How much would you recommend the cut outs to someone who really wants the deep deep sound? I don't want it to just sound raspy but I've heard so nasty (in a good way) sound come out of this mod!
I have Doug Thorley Shorties on mine and combined with the QTP cutouts its badd ass. I highly recommend them.
Camaros To The Max is offline   Reply With Quote