Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Identify This Leak

I was under the Camaro this evening working on the exhaust and found this guy leaking. It looks like it's coming out of the oil pan and runs back towards the transmission. Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
????
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Coolant leak for the oil cooler. Take it in and have it repaired...there is a TSB for this.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Coolant leak for the oil cooler. Take it in and have it repaired...there is a TSB for this.
Thank's. I'm cammed and tuned so out the window goes all warrenty work. I guess I'll take this opportunity to upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I would still ask a dealer about it. Tuning and camming have little to do with a leak from the side of the block. The worst they can say is "no". If you haven't been told "no" ask first. Your other alternative is to fix it yourself or block it off.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Thank's. I'm cammed and tuned so out the window goes all warrenty work. I guess I'll take this opportunity to upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I would still ask a dealer about it. Tuning and camming have little to do with a leak from the side of the block. The worst they can say is "no". If you haven't been told "no" ask first. Your other alternative is to fix it yourself or block it off.
This. While you are cammed and tuned - neither would have any real "direct" impact on that seal not being good. Besides - worst they can say is no right?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Maybe a bit worse than that, if they say no and charge you a half hour shop time for diagnosis.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This. While you are cammed and tuned - neither would have any real "direct" impact on that seal not being good. Besides - worst they can say is no right?
I'll def ask. You're right. All they can say is no. Either way it needs fixed before it becomes a bigger issue.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I have headers and a tune........dealer said nothing. Its a TSB not a warranty issue, should be no problem. They will more than likely have to unbolt the drivers side header to get better access. Its a cross threaded nipple that occurred on some vehicles during assembly.....after time it develops a small coolant leak. There are lots of threads on this issue....check em out.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I had the same leak, there is a TSB. It is caused by a cross threaded connector. May sure to stress the leak is caused by poor workmanship. My dealer tried to tell me connectors are not covered on my extended warranty. They have to retread the hole to fix it properly.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
I was under the Camaro this evening working on the exhaust and found this guy leaking. It looks like it's coming out of the oil pan and runs back towards the transmission. Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.
Wow! Sincere apologies about the leak. Please send me a message with your VIN so I can research this matter further. I look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
JOHNSON SPEED SHOP

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
This is not a complicated repair. The connector will need to be replaced because it is made from soft aluminum. The threads in the block are cleaned up and a new connector is installed with pipe sealant.
JOHNSON SPEED SHOP is offline   Reply With Quote