Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #141
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

Let me just reiterate that this car is freakin' ASTOUNDING.

(as promised)

Let the FAITHFUL Rejoice !!!

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #142
bowtie22

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
This video of the ZL1 is totally awesome. It is a testament of the ZL1's prowess on the track. I wish I had waited for this particular model. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with my SS Camaro. Just inquiring what the horsepower rating is on the ZL1? I was told by a GM source that it would exceed the CTS-V's horsepower.
Also, does anyone know what MSRP is for this vehicle ?
bowtie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #143
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

Horsepower is 580
Torque is 556

MSRP is not yet announced

Here is a link to the sticky with the cliff notes. (highlights)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170254

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #144
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
That is f---ing awesome 172 down the back straight he had his hands full though.
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #145
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGP5X View Post
That is f---ing awesome 172 down the back straight he had his hands full though.
It ticked up to 173 for a split-second right before he decelerated.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #146
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I just watched this video for about the 100th time. Forgive me if I've missed any post prior to mine, but has anyone noticed the telemetry on the throttle and brakes? It looks to me that when on the brakes, the track and 'G indicator glow nice and a rich red. When there's no throttle or brake input, it's pretty much black, or a dark cobalt. When Mr. Link is on the gas, though, it's a nice rich green.

While it's crazy-easy for me to play a back-seat-driver, and while my direct experience with the 'Ring is embarassingly limited only to video games, it seems to me that there was a potential to lean on the gas more than he had, on the whole. I will absolutely recognize that not knowing the dynamics of ZL1 over the portions while I've noticed he was hardly applying throttle are probably because he's at or near the limit of the car, when I've done some minor driving, I'm either on the gas or on the brake slowing down. There were many times down the back straight where he wasn't accelerating, and many times earlier in the track where it was similar. Again, I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of nerves. I am only suggesting that there could be more potential with even better tires and future tuning, like ZR1 and Z06 have enjoyed.

My hat is off to Mr. Link, though - honestly. I know I couldn't drive that fast, though, I might think I could from time-to-time That was a GREAT run

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #147
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I just watched this video for about the 100th time. Forgive me if I've missed any post prior to mine, but has anyone noticed the telemetry on the throttle and brakes? It looks to me that when on the brakes, the track and 'G indicator glow nice and a rich red. When there's no throttle or brake input, it's pretty much black, or a dark cobalt. When Mr. Link is on the gas, though, it's a nice rich green.

While it's crazy-easy for me to play a back-seat-driver, and while my direct experience with the 'Ring is embarassingly limited only to video games, it seems to me that there was a potential to lean on the gas more than he had, on the whole. I will absolutely recognize that not knowing the dynamics of ZL1 over the portions while I've noticed he was hardly applying throttle are probably because he's at or near the limit of the car, when I've done some minor driving, I'm either on the gas or on the brake slowing down. There were many times down the back straight where he wasn't accelerating, and many times earlier in the track where it was similar. Again, I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of nerves. I am only suggesting that there could be more potential with even better tires and future tuning, like ZR1 and Z06 have enjoyed.

My hat is off to Mr. Link, though - honestly. I know I couldn't drive that fast, though, I might think I could from time-to-time That was a GREAT run
Radz.. I noticed the same thing. It would be my opinion that a career professional racer would have been in the green a bit more as well. Just my opinion. Good thing he didn't sneeze anyway!!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #148
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Radz.. I noticed the same thing. It would be my opinion that a career professional racer would have been in the green a bit more as well. Just my opinion. Good thing he didn't sneeze anyway!!
Right?! lol. That's still my favorite video

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #149
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:

The telemetry is a traction circle. green is acceleration (go), red is braking (stop) and blue is lateral acceleration If you are outside the circle you would likely be experiencing slippage of the tires. The fact that he is not deep into the green in certain parts of the track isn't necessarily because he doesn't floor the gas pedal or isn't on it hard. I believe it has more to do with how fast he iis accelerating at the time. When you floor it at 50 mph its going to accelerate a lot faster than when you floor it at 100. I think that is more likely what you are seeing rather than him not giving it full throttle.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #150
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
The telemetry is a traction circle. green is acceleration (go), red is braking (stop) and blue is lateral acceleration If you are outside the circle you would likely be experiencing slippage of the tires.
I believe the circle represents 1G of acceleration. The location of the dot represents the sum of acceleration at that moment in time. This may seem to indicate the grip limit of the tires but only by coincidence. If the dot is straight up or down there is no lateral acceleration. A combination of acceleration or deceleration while turning causes the dot to go off center. I think the colors indicate driver inputs - red = braking, blue = steering, etc. The darker the color, the more input to the driver control.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #151
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:

Just maybe they are not showing all there cards yet. Plus the gaurd rails there are really close to the track one mistake and the car is toast. He had some pretty good corner speeds for a heavy car. I think he left some on the table though.
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #152
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
SC vs. NA is not a fair compare

Both impressive
Tell that to the Viper ACR.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #153
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:

A professional driver with 40 laps around the track... I am sure he got the best time out of it he could. At the cost to go run the car GM is not going to put a subpar number out there if they know they can beat it. These runs are stock factory cars so you are seeing the limits of the car. The ZL1 will never compete with the ZR1 around the Ring simply due to aerodynamics. Sorry but the Camaro is a big blocky car and not really made to track. Its more of a drag car if anything... but it still put some respectable numbers down. I have been watching these Ring runs for a while since I am a former Viper owner. I hate seeing the "what ifs" starting to fly... and it always happens. Bottom line is its a factory car (no tune, no upgraded tires... just the way you buy it off the showroom floor) and they will have a first class driver. Sure they may get a second or two more out of it... but not 20 seconds to get it close to the ZR1.... or 30+ to get it near the Viper ACR.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #154
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
The telemetry is a traction circle. green is acceleration (go), red is braking (stop) and blue is lateral acceleration If you are outside the circle you would likely be experiencing slippage of the tires. The fact that he is not deep into the green in certain parts of the track isn't necessarily because he doesn't floor the gas pedal or isn't on it hard. I believe it has more to do with how fast he iis accelerating at the time. When you floor it at 50 mph its going to accelerate a lot faster than when you floor it at 100. I think that is more likely what you are seeing rather than him not giving it full throttle.
It would be nice to know whether that was actually a throttle/brake input rather than the actual 'G reading of the car itself. I understand where you're coming from, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
I believe the circle represents 1G of acceleration. The location of the dot represents the sum of acceleration at that moment in time. This may seem to indicate the grip limit of the tires but only by coincidence. If the dot is straight up or down there is no lateral acceleration. A combination of acceleration or deceleration while turning causes the dot to go off center. I think the colors indicate driver inputs - red = braking, blue = steering, etc. The darker the color, the more input to the driver control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGP5X View Post
Just maybe they are not showing all there cards yet. Plus the gaurd rails there are really close to the track one mistake and the car is toast. He had some pretty good corner speeds for a heavy car. I think he left some on the table though.
I completely agree! It'd be pretty embarassing to drive that car right off the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Tell that to the Viper ACR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
A professional driver with 40 laps around the track... I am sure he got the best time out of it he could. At the cost to go run the car GM is not going to put a subpar number out there if they know they can beat it. These runs are stock factory cars so you are seeing the limits of the car. The ZL1 will never compete with the ZR1 around the Ring simply due to aerodynamics. Sorry but the Camaro is a big blocky car and not really made to track. Its more of a drag car if anything... but it still put some respectable numbers down. I have been watching these Ring runs for a while since I am a former Viper owner. I hate seeing the "what ifs" starting to fly... and it always happens. Bottom line is its a factory car (no tune, no upgraded tires... just the way you buy it off the showroom floor) and they will have a first class driver. Sure they may get a second or two more out of it... but not 20 seconds to get it close to the ZR1.... or 30+ to get it near the Viper ACR.
There's no way I'm suggesting the improvement you're suggesting I am. I thank you for clarifying where you're loyaties lie, though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"

Tags
2012 camaro zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 video, camaro zl1 videos, carbon flash metallic zl1, cfm zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 forums, chevy camaro zl1 video, chevy camaro zl1 videos, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 video, zl1 videos