Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Thoughts on amp and speaker setup

I have a kenwood dnx 890hd head unit installed in my car going to a stock BA system.I was thinking of getting a Set of Hybrid-Audio Clarus 6.5" Component Set from ******** along with the Fark and a JL 700/5 amp.Would I be under powering these speakers with this amp setup and if so,what amp should I be using.Not too knowledgeable on this stuff and wanna get it right the 1st time
Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
ZeuSS2011

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS / Black 2013 ZL1
Just installed those Hybrids on my car along with some Hertz ECX 690 6×9's. I have JL XD400/4 sitting in the garage just waiting to be installed. I have to say, the system sounds pretty good as is with the stock BA amp and head unit. Replacing the stock 6×9's was worth it. The Hertz 6×9's sound so good that they seem to drown out the Hybrids on the doors. They say they have to be broken in with a few hours of play to fully appreciate the sound quality. I haven't had the time to break them in as my car is not a daily driver. Hoping that when I get around to installing the jl amp (hopefully this weekend) it'll sound even better.
I also have a sub kit from ******** that looks and sounds great.
ZeuSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
kennyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeuSS2011 View Post
Just installed those Hybrids on my car along with some Hertz ECX 690 6×9's. I have JL XD400/4 sitting in the garage just waiting to be installed. I have to say, the system sounds pretty good as is with the stock BA amp and head unit. Replacing the stock 6×9's was worth it. The Hertz 6×9's sound so good that they seem to drown out the Hybrids on the doors. They say they have to be broken in with a few hours of play to fully appreciate the sound quality. I haven't had the time to break them in as my car is not a daily driver. Hoping that when I get around to installing the jl amp (hopefully this weekend) it'll sound even better.
I also have a sub kit from ******** that looks and sounds great.
I think I'm gonna put off the 6x9's for now .Looks like a bitch to install.Ill probably pay someone down the line to install those( which also means ill be needing more cash).
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
ZeuSS2011

I was like you. Put off the 6×9's and when I started installing the Hybrids I went to one of the local car audio stores to buy some hushmat and found out that they carried the Hertz speakers. Got them for a good price and decided to give it a shot at installing them myself. Used one of the DIY's from this forum and everything went smooth. A lot of steps just to get to the 6×9's but not that difficult. Glad I did it myself. Nobody is going to be more careful tearing your car apart and putting it back together like yourself.

I've read lots of good reviews about that amp that you're thinking of installing. I would've gone with that one myself if I hadn't started off with installing a sub first.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
kennyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeuSS2011 View Post
I was like you. Put off the 6×9's and when I started installing the Hybrids I went to one of the local car audio stores to buy some hushmat and found out that they carried the Hertz speakers. Got them for a good price and decided to give it a shot at installing them myself. Used one of the DIY's from this forum and everything went smooth. A lot of steps just to get to the 6×9's but not that difficult. Glad I did it myself. Nobody is going to be more careful tearing your car apart and putting it back together like yourself.

I've read lots of good reviews about that amp that you're thinking of installing. I would've gone with that one myself if I hadn't started off with installing a sub first.
Yea,that's the problem too.Do I really want someone doing the install for me.Just a little intimidated by the DIY.Something to think about...
I don't understand-wouldn't you want the 700 with a sub or am I misunderstanding what your saying?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
ZeuSS2011

I first purchased a driver's side stealth enclosure from ******** a few months back. I was only interested in adding some bass, as I was ok with the existing BA system in my car. It included the enclosure, the 12" sub, and a Kicker amp for the sub.

Had I known that I wasn't going to stop adding to the system, I would've purchased the JL 700/5 instead of the Kicker amp for the sub and the JL XD400/4 for the front and rear speakers. That JL 700/5 will run all your speakers to include your sub if you choose to add one down the road.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
ZeuSS2011

If you install the door speakers yourself, be careful not to lose the small rubber piece that sits between the trunk release button and the harness that connects to it on the inside of the driver's side door panel. I wasn't aware of that little rubber piece and ended up losing it. Luckily I found it after searching for it for a while.

Also if you think you'll be doing the ABL on the dash, since you have the door panels off, you might as well sand down those few inches of paint on the panels to extend the ABL lighting on the doors to the dash.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
kennyo

Yea-not interested in the ABL,thanx for the tip on the door.One of the reasons I don't like doing this stuff.