Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
Track engine oil weight

What weight is good for track and street use. Doing more track use then street use. New to the track world and appearently you should be using a different weight.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
briancamaross

Drives: 2011 ss 2ss auto camaro
I use 15w40 t6
2011 2ss white Camaro mods are texas speed stage 4 cam 235/239 Texas speed 2inch headers no cats magna flow bullet mufflers gpi rod mod ,circle d 4000-4200 5c stall. 3.91 gears vararm cai power wedge.
briancamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Another subject very much up for debate. Depending on what type of track usage you're seeing (full on road racing vs. 20-30 min HDPE's), is it really necessary? I also track my car, and get great Blackstone reports back using a premium synthetic in the weight GM recommends, which in my case is a 5w-30. Some of the other guys with more engine building experience should chime in here soon, but I don't believe it's necessary or even recommended to up the weight just because your pushing the car the way it was designed.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Another subject very much up for debate. Depending on what type of track usage you're seeing (full on road racing vs. 20-30 min HDPE's), is it really necessary? I also track my car, and get great Blackstone reports back using a premium synthetic in the weight GM recommends, which in my case is a 5w-30. Some of the other guys with more engine building experience should chime in here soon, but I don't believe it's necessary or even recommended to up the weight just because your pushing the car the way it was designed.
Good input and im a diesel mechanic and believe they made to do what we are doing with it. I would also like to hear from guys with more experience. I wouldn't say im full out road racing. Im doing 20 min HDPEs. Im using amsoil so much I used good oil at the very least. One question though about the car being built that way is why did the car come with dot 3 so you boil the fluid the first time time you go to the track and push the car a little. The track I went to was hard on brakes regardless but still shouldn't have happened

Old 10-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
Good input and im a diesel mechanic and believe they made to do what we are doing with it. I would also like to hear from guys with more experience. I wouldn't say im full out road racing. Im doing 20 min HDPEs. Im using amsoil so much I used good oil at the very least. One question though about the car being built that way is why did the car come with dot 3 so you boil the fluid the first time time you go to the track and push the car a little. The track I went to was hard on brakes regardless but still shouldn't have happened

In my 2015 manual, it recommends the brake fluid be replaced with high performance fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 534 degree F before you take the car to a track event or competitive driving. I guess cost was a factor in delivering the car without the proper brake fluid for the track.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
In my 2015 manual, it recommends the brake fluid be replaced with high performance fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 534 degree F before you take the car to a track event or competitive driving. I guess cost was a factor in delivering the car without the proper brake fluid for the track.
I agree. The fact is, how many 1LE owners are actually taking their cars to the track. I'm betting maybe 30%-40% on the high side. GM doesn't want to spend the extra $$ if they don't have to. I switched prior to my first track day.

Sorry, ZL1dad, not intending to derail your thread. I think you'll get a mixed bag of "don't change weight" to "move up to a 40w is ok", and I certainly don't think a 40w is too much. I think when we LS3 owners start trying to run LS7 track weight oil (15w-50), I personally think it's too heavy for the LS3 bearing clearances, and I've read such many times.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Has a lot to do with how well you maintain temps. I have a massive oil cooler so no reason to change weights. If your car is dual use then add on a thermostatic cooler and don't change weights. If you do then you'd need to drain and replace after every event.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Has a lot to do with how well you maintain temps. I have a massive oil cooler so no reason to change weights. If your car is dual use then add on a thermostatic cooler and don't change weights. If you do then you'd need to drain and replace after every event.
I haven't seen my oil above 230 getting off the track. Running for about 20 min

Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Quote:
I haven't seen my oil above 230 getting off the track. Running for about 20 min

Holy crap, then I wouldn't change. 230 is nothing for the track! I can see 230+ driving in the city (Phoenix area), and regularly see 270+ on hot track days. Adding a Mishimoto cooler soon.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Holy crap, then I wouldn't change. 230 is nothing for the track! I can see 230+ driving in the city (Phoenix area), and regularly see 270+ on hot track days. Adding a Mishimoto cooler soon.
270!! Holy shit. Yea im in Michigan. I will be around 230 while driving on the track then once I do my cool down lap , depending on length of track , I have been down to like 198-212. Seems great to me.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
One question though about the car being built that way is why did the car come with dot 3 so you boil the fluid the first time time you go to the track and push the car a little. The track I went to was hard on brakes regardless but still shouldn't have happened

Z28 owners manual says to replace with DOT4. I have boiled DOT3 in many different cars. If you drive like most newbies then you are safe. I boiled the fluid the first day on the track.

I will not take a car on a track, even an HDPE without replacing the fluid. I have no idea why GM did not start with a good fluid. They also tell you to replace the oil with 15w50
Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
270!! Holy shit. Yea im in Michigan. I will be around 230 while driving on the track then once I do my cool down lap , depending on length of track , I have been down to like 198-212. Seems great to me.

Sounds like you're talking water temp not oil as that number is unrealistic for daily driving let alone on track. It's being cooled by 200 degree water, it aint gonna get below your water temp tracking or on a cooldown lap. You need to hook up a real gauge and get an honest oil temp.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

270+ is going to be very common with this engine because it doesn't have a real oil temp gauge, it's just a computer-generated estimate. It was telling me my last time out that my water temp was 215 and my oil temp was 279ish and it was only 50 degrees outside. It's always pretty spooky to see oil temps that high pulling off the track but I just remind myself that it's not real haha. From what I've read the computer estimate temps are pretty close during normal daily driving but it gets a little confused on the track. Also like stated above if you're seeing 230 or lower on the track, it's probably water temp or your car has substantially better cooling than anyone else here.

I debate using rotella t6 all the time because it's good stuff but I probably won't until the warranty is up because there have been rumors about people not getting warranty work covered because they used "diesel oil" instead of whatever the other kind of oil is. I don't really believe they are going to those lengths to test your oil but I push my car too hard to take any chances. If you're changing your oil regularly any reputable synthetic will be just fine.

Last edited by Notilloc; 10-10-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Sounds like you're talking water temp not oil as that number is unrealistic for daily driving let alone on track. It's being cooled by 200 degree water, it aint gonna get below your water temp tracking or on a cooldown lap. You need to hook up a real gauge and get an honest oil temp.
Ok so yes, there where mixed numbers there. Brain fart sorry. So, 230 on track for coolant so yea oil probably 260-270 on track but then my coolant is back down to 198-212 by time I exit so oil should be back at 230 ish then as well. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize what I was saying until it was pointed out.