Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
First time going to the Strip..... Advise please...

Hi! Going the the strip this weekend.. Never raced before.. I've been playing with the PTM modes and feel comfortable in the RACE mode. But would like some advise on doing a burn out.. I have a manual trans... I know I have to turn off the nannies, but from there what do you guys or girls suggest.. Do it in first or second...What feet to use? Is it like power braking? How much brake to apply? I'm running Nitto DR.. How long of a burn out? Heard not to burn them too long cause the DR's get too greasy with longer burn outs.. True???! Thanks in advance for any insight!!!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Since I have no experience with a ZL1 I will just give you some general tips.

Be sure to take a helmet, simple but since you have never been racing I wouldn't want you to go to the track only to find out you don't have the proper gear and they don't let you run. (I believe the minimum rated helmet you will need is a Snell M2005, could be wrong but I know a normal D.O.T. helmet will not suffice)

Once you learn what lanes are your staging lanes don't forget, you don't want to stage in the wrong staging lanes.

Its not a rule but it is common courteousy to not double bulb someone at the tree. If you are already pre-staged(first set of bulbs to pop on) just wait for your opponent to atleast pre-stage before rolling the second set of bulbs. This prevents the tree from automatically starting with out him staged.

After staging your eyes should be on one thing and one thing only, the last amber light. Once you see that light come on start going, if you wait for green you are way too late. (Try not to follow the light as it blinks through the amber lights, this makes you more apt to "sleep" at the light.)

Run your race, be sure to stay in the groove. If you are on the opposite side of the exit and finish before your opponent do not cut across his lane to exit, there is no way of telling if he is having mechanical problems or failures hindering his ability to slow down. There is 2 exits off the track so it is possible he turns off on the first exit, just use situational awareness and pay attention to your mirror. Since you will be driving a ZL1, you will likely need to use the second exit.

Most of all have fun. There is no other reason to be there other then to have fun. This is all just simple basics but I just wanted to be sure you knew them since you have never been racing before and Im unsure if you have ever went to the track and watched.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumatic View Post
Since I have no experience with a ZL1 I will just give you some general tips.

Be sure to take a helmet, simple but since you have never been racing I wouldn't want you to go to the track only to find out you don't have the proper gear and they don't let you run. (I believe the minimum rated helmet you will need is a Snell M2005, could be wrong but I know a normal D.O.T. helmet will not suffice)

Once you learn what lanes are your staging lanes don't forget, you don't want to stage in the wrong staging lanes.

Its not a rule but it is common courteousy to not double bulb someone at the tree. If you are already pre-staged(first set of bulbs to pop on) just wait for your opponent to atleast pre-stage before rolling the second set of bulbs. This prevents the tree from automatically starting with out him staged.

After staging your eyes should be on one thing and one thing only, the last amber light. Once you see that light come on start going, if you wait for green you are way too late. (Try not to follow the light as it blinks through the amber lights, this makes you more apt to "sleep" at the light.)

Run your race, be sure to stay in the groove. If you are on the opposite side of the exit and finish before your opponent do not cut across his lane to exit, there is no way of telling if he is having mechanical problems or failures hindering his ability to slow down. There is 2 exits off the track so it is possible he turns off on the first exit, just use situational awareness and pay attention to your mirror. Since you will be driving a ZL1, you will likely need to use the second exit.

Most of all have fun. There is no other reason to be there other then to have fun. This is all just simple basics but I just wanted to be sure you knew them since you have never been racing before and Im unsure if you have ever went to the track and watched.
This is great advice, thanks for taking the time to write. I will be a first timer here too shortly.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Second gear burn out.Rev it up and dump the clutch then apply the brakes while you are in the burnout box. Don't stomp on the brakes, just enough to keep you from rolling right out of the box. I usually run about 16-18 psi in my dr's. If they are 555r's you need to cook the hell out of them to get them sticky, if they are the nt05's you don't have to heat them as hard. Slip the clutch a little as you launch, don't just dump the clutch. prp was prepped very well last weekend, so That's a good thing.

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
12 ZL1 #1725

Thank you guys!!!! I appreciate the information!! Are you going this weekend to PRP cam99? I know you had a valve spring break on you.. Hopefully its all fixed up and you will be there... Stop and see me if you do... Would like to meet you... Put some faces to these names!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
Thank you guys!!!! I appreciate the information!! Are you going this weekend to PRP cam99? I know you had a valve spring break on you.. Hopefully its all fixed up and you will be there... Stop and see me if you do... Would like to meet you... Put some faces to these names!!!
sadly no. My springs won't be in till next week. Hope to see you there once its back together.

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
12 ZL1 #1725

Dang! Yes! I definitely will be going to some more... My next 2 Saturdays 20th and 27th are booked but I'm gonna plan on making it to the street night in May.. So maybe see you then!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Best advice I can give to a first time racer is spend at least 30 minutes familiarizing yourself with how folks stage where the return road is, ticket shack, etc. Pay attention to where the staging beams are. Most folks are not 100% and stop too short or drive past them the first time.

For the first pass, just leave easy and drive easy.

Second hit, I'd get serious. Make sure you line up in the groove after you heat up the hides.

If your car gets super sloppy don't be a hero your first time out. Get out of the gas.

If you screw up and shift 2 to 1, or 3 to 2, clutch in immediately so you don't hammer the rev limiter.

It's relatively easy and addicting, but watching the action at the line for a while really helps reduce the anxiety you will have wondering how it all works.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
to do the burnout make sure traction control and stabilitrak are off by pressing and holding the traction control button for 7 seconds....both lights will turn on. First the traction control light will illuminate then stabilitrak will illuminate after the pause.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
to do the burnout make sure traction control and stabilitrak are off by pressing and holding the traction control button for 7 seconds....both lights will turn on. First the traction control light will illuminate then stabilitrak will illuminate after the pause.
I would think for a new driver it would be best to leave stabilitrak on. Especially with a high powered car like the ZL1. Staying in your lane could be a problem. If you tap the button once (the same for a ZL1 as an SS?) just TC is off. I do not know, but is there a benefit to turning stabilitrak off at the drags?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Hopefully I will be able to make it up to PRP soon and race. I have not had my 5th gen at the strip yet either, but I had my 4th gen t/a out several times
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote