Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #43
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I knew the first ZL-1s were going to have some issue.
Like new aircraft, there will be service bulitens for new cars that are just out.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Ok! Picked up #1400 yesterday and at 109 miles I had a Power Steering loss in my driveway. Let it sit for ~7min, fixed itself but I called my service adviser and let him know about it. Happens again, it will go into the dealer to get looked at.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #45
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Ok! Picked up #1400 yesterday and at 109 miles I had a Power Steering loss in my driveway. Let it sit for ~7min, fixed itself but I called my service adviser and let him know about it. Happens again, it will go into the dealer to get looked at.
Hmmmmmmm, not cool
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #46
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
This is gonna happen to someone at the wrong place at the wrong time and it's gonna cause GM one huge lawsuit.

Oh boy....
Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #47
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
ZL1 #140. Just shy of 5000 miles and no Power Steering issues yet...
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #48
Wolty

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I had the power steering failure and fault message pop up at the dealer when I picked up (7 miles) the car...actually happened in the garage as I was going through the car intro. session with the dealer. They followed the service alert protocol which finally had them call GM. By that point it was working again.

GM told the dealer that this had been seen before and has only been a single experience..."once it happens it does not occur again". However, if it did happen I was to bring it back to the dealer and they would fly out an engineer to investigate the issue first hand.

So far so good...355 miles.
Wolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #49
Zedder

Drives: 40 plus Camaros and counting!
Wasn't issues with the power steering one of the first rumours regarding the cause of the shutdown...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #50
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
This is gonna happen to someone at the wrong place at the wrong time and it's gonna cause GM one huge lawsuit.

Oh boy....
I am hoping you are wrong for the sake of anyone who may be involved. Also, power steering should only affect low speed maneuvering. At "dangerous" speeds it should have little effect in most cases. Hopefully it adds up to nothing more than a few scary moments for owners.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #51
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
We are glad that you made it safely! Please let me know if you have any additional concerns with this. I look forward to your updates.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #52
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have seen this many times on the Cobalt. The ZL1 uses a very similar set up. The fix on the Cobalt was to replace the entire steering column. My guess on the ZL1 is a software problem.

MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #53
Pgoldston

Drives: 1999 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We are glad that you made it safely! Please let me know if you have any additional concerns with this. I look forward to your updates.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Im glad people are making it home safely as well, but what is GM doing to fix this issue?? Are people going to have to wreck first and then put it on CNN before they do anything to fix the issue as a whole?? I would hate for a prius type debacle to have to take place before it gets fixed. Right now it seems this is a wait and see how many people are going to complain, then figure the cost out, then decide whos dollar its going to be on, the customer or GM
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #54
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Why do you make assumptions with no data? I deal with this type of thing every day in my work. People tell me, "this is happening all the time" and you need to fix it right away. Then I ask for data and I hear crickets.

This may or not be a problem and we should not jump to conclusion without the facts!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #55
Pgoldston

Drives: 1999 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Why do you make assumptions with no data? I deal with this type of thing every day in my work. People tell me, "this is happening all the time" and you need to fix it right away. Then I ask for data and I hear crickets.

This may or not be a problem and we should not jump to conclusion without the facts!
Assumptions.....
Hmm I just did a quick read of just this thread and there has been 6 reported failures. To me thats a pretty big number considering the low build number and the low collection we have in the thread. How many people have not logged onto C5 and reported this???

"problem" is defined as
A matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome.
A steering failure is a serious problem!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #56
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
Assumptions.....
Hmm I just did a quick read of just this thread and there has been 6 reported failures. To me thats a pretty big number considering the low build number and the low collection we have in the thread. How many people have not logged onto C5 and reported this???

"problem" is defined as
A matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome.
A steering failure is a serious problem!
You're right. Someone should start a class action lawsuit against GM for producing cars with flaws and DEMAND that every single car with ANY type of flaw either gets replaced IMMEDIATLY with a brand new PERFECT car. If GM fails to do this by next Friday, GM should be forced to dissove itself imediatly and withdraw from the automotive industry totally.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote