Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Intake manifold bolt screw up

So I learned two things today:

1 my torque wrench stinks and

2 I have no idea what 18 lbs of torque feels like.

In an effort to use the 4 right length bolts in the middle of the plenum cover, I took out the longer ones that required a spacer and replaced them with shorter bolts. When I torqued them down I heard a snap so I assumed I snapped the bolt. When I pulled it out I saw that the bolt wasnt snapped but there was about 1/4 inch of thread that must have broken off from inside the head. So I put the longer bolt back in and I think I was able to get it to bite on whatever remaining thread there must have been left in the head. So is there anything I can do to fix this if it turns out there's no threads left for the plenum bolts to bite on? I'm curious how much thread is in there since I onl broke off about 1/4 inch. Thanks for helping out a dim witted person.

Ben
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motley1987 View Post
So I learned two things today:

1 my torque wrench stinks and

2 I have no idea what 18 lbs of torque feels like.

In an effort to use the 4 right length bolts in the middle of the plenum cover, I took out the longer ones that required a spacer and replaced them with shorter bolts. When I torqued them down I heard a snap so I assumed I snapped the bolt. When I pulled it out I saw that the bolt wasnt snapped but there was about 1/4 inch of thread that must have broken off from inside the head. So I put the longer bolt back in and I think I was able to get it to bite on whatever remaining thread there must have been left in the head. So is there anything I can do to fix this if it turns out there's no threads left for the plenum bolts to bite on? I'm curious how much thread is in there since I onl broke off about 1/4 inch. Thanks for helping out a dim witted person.

Ben
I'd try the correct length back into it and see it works first.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
18ftlbs ain't much. Most guys would probably call it "snug"- maybe not even that.

You've got a full inch (25mm) of threads for each IM bolt.

Assuming the remaining threads aren't damaged, you should still be OK, but you can't gamble with a POS torque wrench.

Consider what you've paid for the car AND what the cost of a repair could be, and suddenly $50 for a good torque wrench (at Sears!) isn't so much...

Get some Blue Loctite threadlocker for the damaged bolt hole and tighten to 18lbs- and stop. Just leave it alone.

If the bolt spins when you try to go to the specified torque, then you'll need to re-tap the hole and create new threads. But lets keep our fingers crossed for now!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote